4g LTE SD Card?

Search This thread

97prelude

Jan 16, 2013
Just wondering if there is such a thing? We all have wifi tablets but i'd love to get an SD card that allowed you to insert your sim card into it that would allow you to essentially have a LTE tablet? a plus would be if it had 32gb of memory also :)

anything like this exists?

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
i dont know what came of it but TMoblie here in the UK when they first mentioned their 4g plans said there would be a sim/sdcard (i forget which) that would have a 4g chip and antenna or something in it to make 3g 4g... never heard of it since though

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

gsxrfl1k6

Jan 27, 2012
Orlando
Definitely a cool idea, but never heard/seen of one. I was in the AT&T store yesterday, they have an LTE wifi hotspot device that was pretty cool, only 49.00 and would accomplish the same thing...

diablodow

Dec 17, 2011
The TF700 doesn't have any radios for 4g unless your saying those would come in the SD card. I know they make USB sticks that will pick up 3g / 4g (at least I think) so maybe something like that would work

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

radus1

Nov 18, 2012
Just wondering if there is such a thing? We all have wifi tablets but i'd love to get an SD card that allowed you to insert your sim card into it that would allow you to essentially have a LTE tablet? a plus would be if it had 32gb of memory also :)

Don't count on it. It's more than just a sim to make it work with 3/4G. You need at least an UMTS module and an extra antenna. You should have bought the LTE version instead - you will never get "native" 3/4G on your non-LTE transformer.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: nvan7891

pvka13

Jan 2, 2013
Kaunas, LTU
In theory this is possible - there exists an interface that's electrically equivalent to SD, but supports much more than memory cards. It's called SDIO (see wikipedia article, I can't include links). Since the transformer supports 4-bit SD interface, it automatically supports SDIO. The only problem is the drivers.

Here's where practical problems start. The Linux kernel includes very few drivers for SDIO devices. So even if such device exists, Android would not be able to support it.

awilson77584

Apr 18, 2011
In theory this is possible - there exists an interface that's electrically equivalent to SD, but supports much more than memory cards. It's called SDIO (see wikipedia article, I can't include links). Since the transformer supports 4-bit SD interface, it automatically supports SDIO. The only problem is the drivers.

Here's where practical problems start. The Linux kernel includes very few drivers for SDIO devices. So even if such device exists, Android would not be able to support it.

You've probably solved this by now. I rooted my Evo 4G and use the Cyanomod 7.2 tethering feature. It works great. I use my sd slot for data2sd.

How did you resolve this?

nvan7891

Jan 9, 2012
ibiesio quick

That woukd be kinda cool, but I already pay for the fantastic privlege having (no to barely any) service for my phone (sprint. As someone who switched from verizon to sprint, DON'T. Huge mistake). My phone is the reason I dont take my tablet out of the house (where theres wifi) unless im going on a trip. I assume thats how it is for most people, which is why there most likley isn't a massive market for it. I could see it being useful to people who use tabs on the job and travel. Even then, nowadays theres wifi pretty much everywhere. The added security of 4g is a plus, though. VPNs are nice but are often slow and cause issues with google and such.

utx

Apr 15, 2012
Prague
www.penguin.cz
USB 3G modem

For now you can use USB 3G modem. There is an application on the Google Play, that provides support for these modems. I have successfully tested it with Huawei E173u.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Don't count on it. It's more than just a sim to make it work with 3/4G. You need at least an UMTS module and an extra antenna. You should have bought the LTE version instead - you will never get "native" 3/4G on your non-LTE transformer.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700KL using XDA Premium HD app