[GUIDE][HOW TO][VS985] Restore Verizon to Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
Sorry, I don't follow this thread anymore and don't keep the files online anymore. There are several other threads to be found.

Softbricked? :eek: Don't worry, you can fix it if you can read. ;)

Download all the files and extract zips.
Install drivers and LGFlashTool (Flashtool will install to path C:\LG\LGFlashTool)
Add the unzipped tot (firmware) and Megalock dll file to the LGFlashTool folder.
flashtoolfolder.png
Put phone in download mode: Turn phone off, push and hold volume up and plug USB cable into phone
Open device manager (Windows Start>control panel>device manager)
Select Port connection for phone (COM and LPT>LGE Android Net for VZW USB Serial Port)
Change the port to COM41 (Right click on the specified port, select properties, left click port setting tab. Click advanced. Change COM Port Number to COM41. Click OK. Click OK.
If you don't see the phone, click View in Device Manager, then click Show Hidden.
G3PortImage.png
Start LGFlashtool. Specify the dll and tot to flash by checking "Select manual mode." Left click the "..." button and select the dll. Left click the "Add" button and select the tot. Click OK to close the file selection window.
flashtoolfilepath.png
Click the yellow arrow and wait patiently. Loading the firmware takes a few. :D
View attachment 2870130
When FlashTool shows Ready, disconnect the phone for ~5 secs. Upon reconnecting the phone, FlashTool will automatically run. This will take a few moments, so go get a cup of coffee. When the phone shows a blue screen with a bid red 3, you're good to go. Disconnect the phone and pull the battery briefly. Restart the phone and redo the setup. Shutdown Flashtool to prevent any accidents when rerooting. :)

New LG G3 for you and me! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Here is an alternate method using KDZ developed for people who took the C update.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=
[emoji12]

Last edited:

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
Thanks to @216Monster and @droidkevlar for the additional download sites and support.

There are several other guides that cover this process in various forums. This is written from my experience after soft bricking with a build prop edit without knowing how to get back to stock first. I hope this guide makes it easier for folks in the same Big Red boat.

LG G3 flies faster than a G6
OG RAZR XT912 got 4.4 before S4

Last edited:

Eyalkn

I installed the driver on my work computer which is Windows XP and this is what I get in the device manager, it doesn't recognize it although I am connected to the computer in download mode. I have the Verizon LG G3 so I even tried to install the dedicated Verizon drivers that I found in this thread and still no go. Please help on finding drivers for windows XP.

Attachments

• Issue.JPG
    Issue.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,997

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I installed the driver on my work computer which is Windows XP and this is what I get in the device manager, it doesn't recognize it although I am connected to the computer in download mode. I have the Verizon LG G3 so I even tried to install the dedicated Verizon drivers that I found in this thread and still no go. Please help on finding drivers for windows XP.

I got that and then I unplugged the USB, waited a few seconds and plugged it back in and it then showed under communications.

Reactions: Eyalkn

dlscott1111

Apr 20, 2011

Downloads:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7379qhBA5bnVWQwLU9GNkk3ZGs&usp=sharing
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6...22jjhk7g3kgz/LG_G3_VS985_10B_03_Stock_TOT.zip
http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com/d123f6f2cfa13038

Install drivers and LGFlashTool (Flashtool will install to path C:\LG\LGFlashTool)

Couldn't get the flashtool to download. One file is an .ink file and nothing happens when i try to download the flashtool at the right of the screen.

Edit: Got the files downloaded, when I run flashtool without a device attached it has a login screen, I'm assuming this won't occur if the phone is hooked up to it?

Last edited:

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
Couldn't get the flashtool to download. One file is an .ink file and nothing happens when i try to download the flashtool at the right of the screen.

Edit: Got the files downloaded, when I run flashtool without a device attached it has a login screen, I'm assuming this won't occur if the phone is hooked up to it?

Yes.

Reactions: dlscott1111

hijax2001

Dec 4, 2010
I am an experienced Android hacker, and still got a bit lost with the tutorial. While I appreciate the excellent work here, you might consider editing/adding the information to help clarify the following:

1. The TOT file at http://www.mediafire.com/download/6i..._Stock_TOT.zip, https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7379qhBA5bnVWQwLU9GNkk3ZGs&usp=sharing, and http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com/d123f6f2cfa13038 are all identical - and we only need one or the other. Please identify the other TOT links as mirrors to the same file, so people aren't downloading all of them unnecessarily (especially as they each are so very large).

2. There is already a MegaLock.dll file installed in the LGFlashTool folder once the application is installed. When you say add .dll files to the LGFlashTool folder, please clarify if MegaLock.dll needs to be overwritten by the other file with the same name (found in Setup_LGFlashTool_1.8.1.1023.zip), or otherwise. It might also help to clarify specifically which dll files are moving to the LGFlashTool folder, and from where. I ended up overwriting the default MegaLock.dll with the one you provided before I started the process...

3. Ports won't often show in Device Manager unless you go to View and then Show Hidden Devices in the Device Manager application.

4. After clicking the yellow arrow, unplugging and plugging the phone back in did nothing to start the process. Nor did plugging it back in while holding volume up (like in your 2nd step). I had to unplug, power the phone on, and then when the red Verizon screen appeared I plugged back in. This triggered the start of the Flash process. An easy way to tell you're in the right spot during the process: the red Verizon screen will disappear and a Firmware Updating screen will pop up to show you progress on the phone. When done, the phone will power cycle automatically...then, after a few other brief items, the red "3" on the blue screen will appear.

WARNING: Don't forget to close the LGFlashTool on your PC when you're done. Because...if you have anything else to do during the same session (such as rooting the phone), when you power cycle the phone while it's still plugged into your PC, LGFlashTool will take over and proceed to flash your phone again!!

Thanks again for your hard work. The tutorial was indeed helpful.

Last edited:

tom1226

Jun 25, 2013
Winchester, VA
Sorry if this has been answered in one of the other threads on this topic, but does this reset the root flag/counter like it did on the g2? Thanks.

BrUhNiGGs

Oct 23, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Thank you so much for this you saved my ass. I tried to restore my original build.prop but forgot to fix permissions and it totally bricked my phone D:

viper3two

Nov 20, 2008
New LG G3 for you and me! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
>>>FIXED, SEE BELOW
I'm trying this and I am stuck. Got all files downloaded, installed lg tool and got to the point of restarting the phone into download mode. No problem there. Issue is I can't find the COM ports in the device manager. Running Windows 8.1 pro, don't see a section for the COM ports. I do see CDC EM, CDC Serial and LGE Android Phone, but when I right click, there is no PORT option to change....

devmgr_zpse96da643.jpg

I know I am getting close if I can just figure how to change the port on the device manager.
Any help?
update>>>when i double click the lge android phone in dev mgr, it says drivers are not installed. I have installed drivers. I also tried removing drivers and rebooting then reinstalling drivers, same thing. It shows up but looks like it can't find the right drivers.
>>>>FIXED. Removed lg flash tool. Removed drivers. rebooted. reinstalled everything. plugged in the usb and phone showed up this time, was able to change to com41 and it worked. Not sure what happened but it worked flawless this time...
THANK YOU!!!
Thanks

Last edited:

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
>>>FIXED, SEE BELOW
I'm trying this and I am stuck. Got all files downloaded, installed lg tool and got to the point of restarting the phone into download mode. No problem there. Issue is I can't find the COM ports in the device manager. Running Windows 8.1 pro, don't see a section for the COM ports....Removed lg flash tool. Removed drivers. rebooted. reinstalled everything. plugged in the usb and phone showed up this time, was able to change to com41 and it worked. Not sure what happened but it worked flawless this time...
THANK YOU!!!
Thanks

Glad you got it sorted! The second law of IT support (unistall and start over) saves the day again. :D

viper3two

Nov 20, 2008
Glad you got it sorted! The second law of IT support (unistall and start over) saves the day again. :D

LOL!! Yea Im an IT manager so I know that one for sure. If all else fails, reboot or uninstall and start over!
Thanks again for this method, it worked out great. Glad to know I got a fallback if I jack something up :)
Tony

marlowe310

Nov 20, 2012
Quick question, apologies if it's idiotic -- basically I (stupidly, it turns out) tried to change my VZW boot animation. No dice. But now I can't get the old one back to working again, which is buggin me out.

QUESTION: Would reflashing to stock in the manner described in this thread completely restore the phone, including that boot animation? I'm just crazy enough about this to actually do it, if it'd work.

Thanks A TON for any info.

mikelikesbikes

Apr 17, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20
Quick question, apologies if it's idiotic -- basically I (stupidly, it turns out) tried to change my VZW boot animation. No dice. But now I can't get the old one back to working again, which is buggin me out.

QUESTION: Would reflashing to stock in the manner described in this thread completely restore the phone, including that boot animation? I'm just crazy enough about this to actually do it, if it'd work.

Thanks A TON for any info.

I would think. I'm new to the g3, but I think this is a tool to restore to stock out of the box. Relating to an Odin restore with Samsung. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

ins5736

Mar 14, 2013
Rochester
It would work. You might want to look around for the boot ani first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry, I don't follow this thread anymore and don't keep the files online anymore. There are several other threads to be found.

Add the unzipped tot (firmware) and Megalock dll file to the LGFlashTool folder.
    flashtoolfolder.png
    Put phone in download mode: Turn phone off, push and hold volume up and plug USB cable into phone
    Open device manager (Windows Start>control panel>device manager)
    Select Port connection for phone (COM and LPT>LGE Android Net for VZW USB Serial Port)
    Change the port to COM41 (Right click on the specified port, select properties, left click port setting tab. Click advanced. Change COM Port Number to COM41. Click OK. Click OK.
    If you don't see the phone, click View in Device Manager, then click Show Hidden.
    G3PortImage.png
    Start LGFlashtool. Specify the dll and tot to flash by checking "Select manual mode." Left click the "..." button and select the dll. Left click the "Add" button and select the tot. Click OK to close the file selection window.
    flashtoolfilepath.png
    Click the yellow arrow and wait patiently. Loading the firmware takes a few. :D
    View attachment 2870130
    When FlashTool shows Ready, disconnect the phone for ~5 secs. Upon reconnecting the phone, FlashTool will automatically run. This will take a few moments, so go get a cup of coffee. When the phone shows a blue screen with a bid red 3, you're good to go. Disconnect the phone and pull the battery briefly. Restart the phone and redo the setup. Shutdown Flashtool to prevent any accidents when rerooting. :)

New LG G3 for you and me! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Here is an alternate method using KDZ developed for people who took the C update.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=
    [emoji12]
    I am an experienced Android hacker, and still got a bit lost with the tutorial. While I appreciate the excellent work here, you might consider editing/adding the information to help clarify the following:

1. The TOT file at http://www.mediafire.com/download/6i..._Stock_TOT.zip, https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7379qhBA5bnVWQwLU9GNkk3ZGs&usp=sharing, and http://fs1.androidfilesharing.com/d123f6f2cfa13038 are all identical - and we only need one or the other. Please identify the other TOT links as mirrors to the same file, so people aren't downloading all of them unnecessarily (especially as they each are so very large).

2. There is already a MegaLock.dll file installed in the LGFlashTool folder once the application is installed. When you say add .dll files to the LGFlashTool folder, please clarify if MegaLock.dll needs to be overwritten by the other file with the same name (found in Setup_LGFlashTool_1.8.1.1023.zip), or otherwise. It might also help to clarify specifically which dll files are moving to the LGFlashTool folder, and from where. I ended up overwriting the default MegaLock.dll with the one you provided before I started the process...

3. Ports won't often show in Device Manager unless you go to View and then Show Hidden Devices in the Device Manager application.

4. After clicking the yellow arrow, unplugging and plugging the phone back in did nothing to start the process. Nor did plugging it back in while holding volume up (like in your 2nd step). I had to unplug, power the phone on, and then when the red Verizon screen appeared I plugged back in. This triggered the start of the Flash process. An easy way to tell you're in the right spot during the process: the red Verizon screen will disappear and a Firmware Updating screen will pop up to show you progress on the phone. When done, the phone will power cycle automatically...then, after a few other brief items, the red "3" on the blue screen will appear.

WARNING: Don't forget to close the LGFlashTool on your PC when you're done. Because...if you have anything else to do during the same session (such as rooting the phone), when you power cycle the phone while it's still plugged into your PC, LGFlashTool will take over and proceed to flash your phone again!!

I did this to the T on following directions using the dll file provided for 35B users, used the 10B tot file. When the phone rebooted it was a big blue screen factory reset with a red 2, not a 3. I rebooted and i come back to the same screen. Any idea what is wrong?
    Update: Just selected Board DL and upgraded took me to a different boot screen. Selected normal boot and all is well!

FWIW (For what it's worth), when I did the Upgrade DL, I got a "2" for a few seconds, then it changed to "3". After a battery pull (I prefer than mashing the power button) and putting it back in, I was able to boot it up.

This was my first successful TOT experience. I know what I was doing wrong earlier today, and I suspect it's what I was doing wrong 10 months ago when I tried banging my head against the wall getting the TOT method to work.

I was changing the COM port of the Device Manager phone entry in the Modem section instead of the phone serial entry in the Ports section. DOH!

Thanks for the feedback. OP modified.