WARNING! Read before considering a Moto G

Search This thread

raniero1

Jan 26, 2011
i dropped my phone from more than 1,5 meter and i i pushed it down very strongly trying to reach it before the fall, it felt down very strongly against a really hard basement, it did nothing, no scrath at all. this happend to a lot of people without any damage, theres a video where a guy go over it with his car with no damage to the screen at all. You was very unluckly, im sorry

spannerz

Nov 7, 2010
Brighton
Yep it's all down to the angle that it hits the ground....the Moto G is a pretty solid sturdy design considering the price but it has a glass screen that goes up to the edge of the phone so an impact on the edge will likely cause damage to the screen. A rubber case would probably reduce the risk considerably but the exposed front screen is always going to still remain an easy target.

Now Motorola's service centre (SBE Ltd in the UK) should have quoted the price including VAT so that price you were quoted could be challenged as it's illegal to quote VAT exclusive prices unless they state "plus VAT" to UK consumers.

Screen repairs shouldn't cost nearly the price of the phone even if it's a budget phone like this, so I'd think a charge of say £15 parts and £25 labour for just a screen replacement might be more realistic but clearly they don't really care.

Gorilla Glass is amazing and the videos showing how it bends is impressive but they never seem to show what happens when you drop the device on a corner or edge where it's most likely to shatter. A little rubber insert bumper between the plastic case edge and the glass edge would probably reduce damage risk but likely look crap as phone designers want glass fronts and invisible edge bezels.

Last edited:

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for the advise from several people here about being quoted a price excluding VAT. With regard to the build quality of the phone, I guess I've either been extremely unlucky in getting a phone with a structural problem, or most other people have been very lucky so far. I can't iterate enough how the phone simply should not have broken from the fall it suffered, regardless of angle, but still I suppose you can either believe me or think I have too high expectations of durability.

About the quoted price, I'm now going to contact Motorola again telling them that the public they welcomed me to share my opinion with have informed me the practice was illegal, and ask what they plan to do about it.

I'm pretty certain I'll get a reply claiming the repair company is a separate businesses and to take it up with them, but we'll see, I'll post back when I get the reply.

tampitzel

Jul 24, 2009
Bucharest
I've had a pretty bad experience with my Moto G, so thought I'd leave a friendly warning for anyone on the fence about this phone, or even for those who already own one. I ordered one of these from Tesco about a month ago for £129. After 2 weeks of taking perfectly good care of it as I do with all my devices, I had the unfortunate situation occur of it falling, less than 2 feet I might add, from my bed onto the wooden floor. My first thoughts were, damn I should be more careful, but was incredibly shocked to find when picking it up that the screen was completely smashed.

Having owned many smart phones over the years, they have all at one time or another taken a fall far greater than this, yet this is the first time I've ever had a screen smash on me. Still in shock at how it could break so easily I did some research online, got some contact information for Motorola, who replied giving me a number for the repair center. I phoned them and was given a quote of £59. Feeling annoyed at the price, I still decided to send it off, thinking that despite how easily it had broken, it had still fallen and Motorola had only my word that it was less than 2 feet.

A few days later I received the quote through the post, for £71, with a £15 charge if I decided I didn't want to go through with it and wanted the phone back, otherwise they destroy it. This almost felt like holding my phone ransom. Still, none of this is what I'm here to warn you about, the biggest problem I had with this situation, and the reason I'll never purchase a Motorola phone again, is the responses I got when contacting Motorola again. Being unhappy about being charged more than I was originally quoted on the phone plus a ransom fee if i wanted the phone back un-repaired, I e-mail Motorola again to complain, firstly about the cost, secondly about the structural weakness of the phone, that something was clearly wrong for it to smash so easily.

They responded with a very frank reply saying the Moto G is not shock or knock proof and was never advertised as being so, they also claimed the repair price is standard and correct, but didn't bother explaining why I was lied to on the phone. I then replied explaining that I knew full well it wasn't advertised as shock/knock/bullet proof, but that there are basic levels of durability that you expect when buying something, they are not advertised because they are common sense and taken for granted, and the Moto G didn't come close to meeting them, whether I had a dodgy unit or it's the whole range. They replied saying the Moto G is a "budget device", and that it's "not capable of withstanding any knocks whatsoever".

I made it very clear in my messages about how easily the screen shattered, and they are saying they are ok with that, it's expected, and basically saying you get what you pay for, so be warned, you might think you're getting a bargain, as I did, but as Motorola were keen to point out, if you pay a budget price for a phone, expect it to fall apart at the slightest knock.

I think you're too quick to judge. The S3 is much more prone to shattered glass than the moto g. And i know alot whole lot more devices which break easily. I am truly sorry you broke your phone, but its not like it happens to everybody, you were just a bit unlucky, i guess :) this shouldn't mean people should stop buying this phone. If i'm not mistaken, it was official info about the Moto G being the best selling smartphone of 2013. If this is the case, haven't heart many stories about shattered glass. Just saying. Anyway i hope you fix your phone, or at least find one which suits you the most. Good luck ! :good:

Reactions: centavar

Cyberguycpt

Mar 22, 2009
Motorola definitely has a costumer service problem. When I originally purchased my Moto G I decided to cancel after only a few hours only and was told I couldn't because they had already transfered it to the shipping department even though it was not shipped out for another two days. Then when I tried to return it they said it would take a couple weeks to a month to get a refund. I don't think I'll buy from Motorola directly again, maybe from a retailer.

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solaris81

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
The phone's already fixed and back with me. The way I see it, with the £15 release charge to stop them destroying the phone if I didn't get it repaired, I was left with little choice. And of course I don't think I'm going to change everyone's opinion of this phone or the companies customer service, if I help one person to think twice before considering this phone because of budget reasons then I'll be happy enough. Just remember as Motorola pointed out themselves to me, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: pravinb89

raniero1

Jan 26, 2011
Yep it's all down to the angle that it hits the ground....the Moto G is a pretty solid sturdy design considering the price but it has a glass screen that goes up to the edge of the phone so an impact on the edge will likely cause damage to the screen. A rubber case would probably reduce the risk considerably but the exposed front screen is always going to still remain an easy target.

Now Motorola's service centre (SBE Ltd in the UK) should have quoted the price including VAT so that price you were quoted could be challenged as it's illegal to quote VAT exclusive prices unless they state "plus VAT" to UK consumers.

Screen repairs shouldn't cost nearly the price of the phone even if it's a budget phone like this, so I'd think a charge of say £15 parts and £25 labour for just a screen replacement might be more realistic but clearly they don't really care.

Gorilla Glass is amazing and the videos showing how it bends is impressive but they never seem to show what happens when you drop the device on a corner or edge where it's most likely to shatter. A little rubber insert bumper between the plastic case edge and the glass edge would probably reduce damage risk but likely look crap as phone designers want glass fronts and invisible edge bezels.

"glass screen that goes up to the edge of the phone"? This is not true, theres a less than 1 mm part in the middle of the phone of glass going over the edge, the top and the bottom of the phone have the edge of the phone higher than the glass, also an impact over the middle of the phone into the edge side where theres the glass would not affect it enough, saying glass screen goes up its not correct

by the way, just a question related, i hope to be forgiven if offtopic, the nokia windows phone glass is totally over the edge? what is that kind of glass, why is not dangerous, or isnt it glass? does someone know it?

spannerz

Nov 7, 2010
Brighton
"glass screen that goes up to the edge of the phone"? This is not true, theres a less than 1 mm part in the middle of the phone of glass going over the edge, the top and the bottom of the phone have the edge of the phone higher than the glass, also an impact over the middle of the phone into the edge side where theres the glass would not affect it enough, saying glass screen goes up its not correct

by the way, just a question related, i hope to be forgiven if offtopic, the nokia windows phone glass is totally over the edge? what is that kind of glass, why is not dangerous, or isnt it glass? does someone know it?

OK I knew someone would correct me (pedantry is rife online :D ), the glass goes pretty close to the edge of the Moto G.

Drop the phone and the less than 1mm part in the middle of the phone isn't going to stop the solid floor/concrete from smashing the glass, I suspect.

Last edited:

Hakuron

Nov 6, 2013
Sorry to hear that buddy but I honestly think you were just really unlucky. As many have already said, its all about the angle it sucks but it sadly happens.

About the build quality i've no complaints to be honest. I've seen this video a few days after purchasing the moto g and couldn't believe it myself (sorry about the language but you don't need to understand what he says, just watch from 1:50).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmoDotbn0Jc

solowkey

Jan 18, 2011
Funny, i have heard a lot of these screen breaking from a very minor drop - mine dropped couple of feet and i just expected a case scuff based on previous phones (also never had a screen break despite pretty ruff treatment, had desire hd for 5 years and the metal is battered but no mark on screen) this shattered like it was sugar glass almost)

i went to Motorola they also tried to charge me 75 or pay ransom, i complained as there is a another thread on this forum (search replacement screen) and people were getting free repairs - i was told categorically that screen damage is non warranty, i argued that this should have been teh case for everyone and asked them to investigate, in about a week they came back and said it would be done for free, no explanation way - they obliviously feel some obligation, they wouldn't just be fixing these non warranty claims if there wasn't an issue some where

The CSO was adamant it would be chargeable but escalated on my request, so bit strange it is suddenly done under warranty without pushing it at all, all they did say was dont believe all you read on forums, but on this occasion it seemed to be accurate over the knowledge of the CSO.

3 days later repaired phone arrived, i have now ordered the below to try and avoid future reppeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?R.../dp/B00H8Z67AC/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?R.../dp/B00HKN24IQ/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

mughalgxt

Sep 15, 2008
Ajman
Adding to the topic, the specs have masked an important short giving of MOTO G Dual Sim, 'It Does Not Support 3G on both sims, only Sim-1!' Just wanted to add!

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Funny, i have heard a lot of these screen breaking from a very minor drop - mine dropped couple of feet and i just expected a case scuff based on previous phones (also never had a screen break despite pretty ruff treatment, had desire hd for 5 years and the metal is battered but no mark on screen) this shattered like it was sugar glass almost)

i went to Motorola they also tried to charge me 75 or pay ransom, i complained as there is a another thread on this forum (search replacement screen) and people were getting free repairs - i was told categorically that screen damage is non warranty, i argued that this should have been teh case for everyone and asked them to investigate, in about a week they came back and said it would be done for free, no explanation way - they obliviously feel some obligation, they wouldn't just be fixing these non warranty claims if there wasn't an issue some where

The CSO was adamant it would be chargeable but escalated on my request, so bit strange it is suddenly done under warranty without pushing it at all, all they did say was dont believe all you read on forums, but on this occasion it seemed to be accurate over the knowledge of the CSO.

3 days later repaired phone arrived, i have now ordered the below to try and avoid future reppeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?R.../dp/B00H8Z67AC/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/r.html?R.../dp/B00HKN24IQ/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Thanks for that I will have to contact them again and ask them why some people are getting free repairs for this and others aren't. Also when my phone dropped less than 2 feet, it was such a soft landing that there isn't a single mark/scratch/scuff or anything of the sort on the bezel of the phone, something I encouraged the person I was e-mailing at Motorola to examine but to no avail.

solowkey

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for that I will have to contact them again and ask them why some people are getting free repairs for this and others aren't. Also when my phone dropped less than 2 feet, it was such a soft landing that there isn't a single mark/scratch/scuff or anything of the sort on the bezel of the phone, something I encouraged the person I was e-mailing at Motorola to examine but to no avail.

Yes mine fell out of pocket when sitting down, only about 1.5 foot drop - they will tell you not to believe forum posts lol but ask for it to be escalated. to be fair the girl i spoke to was very good even though she totally disagreed that it should be repaired for free.

It was the first time i was disappointed with anything to do with the Moto G but they sorted me out in the end so im happy again, it was a total shock when it happened i was not expecting any damage, i had to double take it i was like wtf :eek:

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Yes mine fell out of pocket when sitting down, only about 1.5 foot drop - they will tell you not to believe forum posts lol but ask for it to be escalated. to be fair the girl i spoke to was very good even though she totally disagreed that it should be repaired for free.

It was the first time i was disappointed with anything to do with the Moto G but they sorted me out in the end so im happy again, it was a total shock when it happened i was not expecting any damage, i had to double take it i was like wtf :eek:

Yeah exactly how I felt unfortunately things didn't go quite so well for me. I've messaged them again now telling them about another person getting a repair for free, I'd already mentioned at least one in my original message to them, and I've asked them to investigate it. We'll see what they say.

Solaris81

Dec 3, 2008
Here's is Motorola's reply to me saying I've spoke to people in the same situation as me who received free repairs after their complaint was escalated, I also asked them to comment on being quoted an excluding tax price which I told them I was informed was illegal. Here is their response in full...

"Thank you for contacting Motorola.

We are sorry to inform you that your case has already been escalated and the decision made by management is final. We are not allowed to re-escalate your case or to overrule management's decision. Should you have any more concerns, please address it to the complaints department address given on the previous message."

I've written back telling them what makes me different to the people who received free repairs, and asked why they refuse to comment on the illegal practice I mentioned. I'll post reply when I get it.

kichnaz

May 13, 2013
CALICUT
Hahaha.. I have dropped my device from my houses roof height while I'm trying to paint the roof.. Nothing happens and still working.. I'm also used so many cellphones including high end and low end.. And I never find a device's warranty that covering physical crashes. As smartphone technician I've repaired apple 5s last week.. The owner was covered by Apple warranty and special extended warranty.. But composing said that they can't do anything with physical crashes.. So , its not a problem... as technician I am very happy with its build quality and performance..

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1) Sometimes it is not the height, but the angle of you dropped the phone. I also had a Nexus One shattering its screen from a minor fall, but my other HTC, LG and Motorola phones survive drops that are much taller. Also Moto G has the latest Gorilla Glass 3; I honestly doubt if it had been any other phone it would fare any better. And if you have a shatter iphone screen, it cost a lot more than 70 quid to fix it.

2) Welcome to real life kid. If I drive a car with problems into a repair shop, I will be charged even without any fixes being performed. It is called labour, shipping and handling, and whatever. Motorola is not under any obligation to mail your phone back for free. Motorola employees who opened your package, logged the item, performed a visual inspection are not volunteers.

3) You are absolutely right to be ticked off when you were quoted £59 and then £71. I would be. You absolutely have the right not to buy any future products. It is called poor customer services on their part.

These are separate issues. But for its price, Moto G has no comparison in terms of build quality.
    I've had a pretty bad experience with my Moto G, so thought I'd leave a friendly warning for anyone on the fence about this phone, or even for those who already own one. I ordered one of these from Tesco about a month ago for £129. After 2 weeks of taking perfectly good care of it as I do with all my devices, I had the unfortunate situation occur of it falling, less than 2 feet I might add, from my bed onto the wooden floor. My first thoughts were, damn I should be more careful, but was incredibly shocked to find when picking it up that the screen was completely smashed.

Having owned many smart phones over the years, they have all at one time or another taken a fall far greater than this, yet this is the first time I've ever had a screen smash on me. Still in shock at how it could break so easily I did some research online, got some contact information for Motorola, who replied giving me a number for the repair center. I phoned them and was given a quote of £59. Feeling annoyed at the price, I still decided to send it off, thinking that despite how easily it had broken, it had still fallen and Motorola had only my word that it was less than 2 feet.

A few days later I received the quote through the post, for £71, with a £15 charge if I decided I didn't want to go through with it and wanted the phone back, otherwise they destroy it. This almost felt like holding my phone ransom. Still, none of this is what I'm here to warn you about, the biggest problem I had with this situation, and the reason I'll never purchase a Motorola phone again, is the responses I got when contacting Motorola again. Being unhappy about being charged more than I was originally quoted on the phone plus a ransom fee if i wanted the phone back un-repaired, I e-mail Motorola again to complain, firstly about the cost, secondly about the structural weakness of the phone, that something was clearly wrong for it to smash so easily.

They responded with a very frank reply saying the Moto G is not shock or knock proof and was never advertised as being so, they also claimed the repair price is standard and correct, but didn't bother explaining why I was lied to on the phone. I then replied explaining that I knew full well it wasn't advertised as shock/knock/bullet proof, but that there are basic levels of durability that you expect when buying something, they are not advertised because they are common sense and taken for granted, and the Moto G didn't come close to meeting them, whether I had a dodgy unit or it's the whole range. They replied saying the Moto G is a "budget device", and that it's "not capable of withstanding any knocks whatsoever".

I made it very clear in my messages about how easily the screen shattered, and they are saying they are ok with that, it's expected, and basically saying you get what you pay for, so be warned, you might think you're getting a bargain, as I did, but as Motorola were keen to point out, if you pay a budget price for a phone, expect it to fall apart at the slightest knock.
    Hahaha.. I have dropped my device from my houses roof height while I'm trying to paint the roof.. Nothing happens and still working.. I'm also used so many cellphones including high end and low end.. And I never find a device's warranty that covering physical crashes. As smartphone technician I've repaired apple 5s last week.. The owner was covered by Apple warranty and special extended warranty.. But composing said that they can't do anything with physical crashes.. So , its not a problem... as technician I am very happy with its build quality and performance..

Sent from my XT1033 using xda app-developers app
    Your mileage may vary I have dropped my lady moto g a few times so has she our only issue with the phone is our network and at times the radios itself.

KitKat slo"g" slide

My problem isn't necessarily that the phone broke, although obviously that is a problem, the issue is with Motorola itself, fully understanding how easily the screen cracked, treating the situation though it's expected to break, and then using the price to justify how incredibly fragile the build quality was.

I have no problem posting their e-mails here if anyone want to see them in full to see how frank they are about the lack of quality of the Moto G because it's "budget" I was a little shocked by them, so told them if this really is their attitude the public deserves to know, and they welcomed me to share "my opinion" with people, so I'm sure they'd welcome we posting their responses here if anyone is interested.
    Wow, you must have lots of spare money.

No just that the phone to me is built solid. Not saying if I drop it again it won't shatter the screen. But I've been lucky....

Sent from my XT1034 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app