mjpitts

Feb 16, 2013
Re: [APP 4.0+] Nova Launcher - 2.0.1 Feb 26 2013

e7aqujy8.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

andrologo

Feb 27, 2013
nova launcher hd widgets stretched

Hi all , i use hd widgets with nova launcher 2.0.1 on a nexus 7 4.2.2 stock , but widgets appear stretched and oversized.. instead with apex launcher hd widgets work perfectly. I don't understand why.

Last edited:

Peacen1k

Jan 16, 2013
Houston
Nova Prime 2.0.1: after the update the one-finger swipe down gesture is not working after wake/unlock. Starts working after swiping to a different screen. This happens regardless of which screen the phone wakes up on.

Peacen1k

Jan 16, 2013
Houston
I can't reproduce. Can you give more data? Device/ROM/gesture target

Gesture target is expanding the notifications drop-down. Device and ROM are in my sig: SGS2 i777, ROM is SuperNexus build 5.

I can reliably reproduce this behavior:
1. Lock phone (screen goes dark).
2. Wake and unlock phone.
3. Swipe down with 1 finger.
3.1 This gets a correct response after several swipes, or making the swipe longer.
3.2 and sometimes is interpreted incorrectly as a swipe up.
3.3 Other gestures seem to work better, however still not as responsive as before the update.
4. Swiping to a different screen restores full functionality, correctly interpreting even short (about 2 icon rows' height) swipes.

Last edited:

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
We know that it's locked, but it's a pain when you are trying to do something and it keeps popping up.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Isn't that the point of locking the desktop? To prevent you from doing something? Sure, it's supposed to prevent you from accidentally doing something, but the phone can't tell what is intentional and what is accidental.

mjpitts

Feb 16, 2013

Isn't that the point of locking the desktop? To prevent you from doing something? Sure, it's supposed to prevent you from accidentally doing something, but the phone can't tell what is intentional and what is accidental.

It can still prevent without a popup.

chikimonke

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 12, 2010
Santa Clara, CA
I have to admit, that does look annoying. Why would you need to lock your homescreen though? I could imagine using the functionality on a Development Tablet, where you don't want members of your team messing with the layout...

Every now and then when my phone hiccups on me I end up accidentally flinging a widget or folder to a different home screen. Also useful if you have kids and let them use your device. However, I ultimately disabled the lock feature because it seemed to pop up all the time when I tried to open a folder in my dock that was all the way to one edge. Not sure if it's the phone/software causing that, or by virtue of being there it causes me to make a slightly different motion with my thumb, but it got annoying.

ganeshp

Mar 15, 2012
Hyderabad
I'm seeing lots of nova crashes on my nexus 7 (like at-least once an hour) ..when having an expanded desktop (cm10 feature i think) ..also cant edit/change the apps and widgets when in expanded desktop mode ..sent some crashes via the app ..hope this gets fixed (might be problem with the rom im using ..but not sure who is at fault :/)

Ignoring those small hiccups best app ive bought until now after TB is This ..awesome Launcher when on AOSP/AOKP/CM :D

Starymari

Aug 20, 2012
Washington, D.C.

I have to admit, that does look annoying. Why would you need to lock your homescreen though? I could imagine using the functionality on a Development Tablet, where you don't want members of your team messing with the layout...

I use it all the time with my daughter. I like the way Nova sets it up too because you can edit the screen without actually unlocking the screen. To get rid of it just look in setting and make sure "Lock Desktop" isn't checked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Spacemonkie4207

Jan 30, 2012
Cambridge
Google Pixel 4 XL

Launcher is soo smooth.

One small request. I would love it if there was an option to disable the blue boxes in tablet scroll effect.

Keep up the great work :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

carlos67

Oct 29, 2010

Instead of locking the desktop, why not just backup your Nova settings and then if you do something unintentional you just need to restore Nova's settings and you've undone any "damage"

.wojtek

Mar 16, 2008
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Can we have option to get rid of the popup when the desktop is locked?

Yes, please! I've locked it exactly not to have to deal with some "unexpected" things showing up...

So, when you try to do something intentionally on a locked desktop and it just looks at you blankly, you're not going to complain?

for crying out loud - I'm aware that I've locked the screen, it's not enabled by default, I know where to disable it. What is your problem with others having locked screen and being annoyed by this screen? Do you use locking?

For me it's because I tend to grab my phone probably in some particular way which often triggers movement of widgets and then they end up on different desktop and this causes re-arangement of icons there and then I have to manually move everything back to it's place - highly annoying...

Instead of locking the desktop, why not just backup your Nova settings and then if you do something unintentional you just need to restore Nova's settings and you've undone any "damage"

<facepalm>
so instead of having ordered desktop all the time (minus annoying popup) you suggest I should do a restore-settings a few times a day? sounds like FUN!

mahercs

Sep 21, 2010
SF Bay Area

<facepalm>
so instead of having ordered desktop all the time (minus annoying popup) you suggest I should do a restore-settings a few times a day? sounds like FUN!

Also, restoring the settings doesn't "restore" all the widgets, so this may actually casue more work than putting something back that accidentally got moved/erased. I tried the lock feature, but the popup annoyed me too so I turned it off. Need a happy medium, I guess

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nova Launcher is a highly customizable launcher replacement based on the stock Android 4.x Launcher.
    http://novalauncher.com/

Banner.png

Highly customizable, performance driven, home screen replacement for Android 4+
    Features include:
    Custom Grid
    Configure the rows and columns to fit all your app and widget needs.
    Scrollable Dock
    Keep all your favorite apps on the dock, with up to 7 icons per page and up to 3 pages.
    Scroll Effects
    Enjoy eye candy when scrolling your desktop and drawer. Effects include Cube and Cardstack and more for Prime users.
    Infinite Scroll
    Never be far from your favorite page, loop through your desktop continuously.
    Folder Icons
    You can chose a background, preview style or even replace the whole icon.
    Backup/Restore
    Export your settings and layout before a wipe to quickly get back up and running.
    Nova Launcher Prime Features (Paid version)
    Gestures
    Quickly start Nova Actions or Apps from gestures on the desktop, such as pinching, swiping or two-finger swiping.
    Hide Apps
    Keep a clutter free drawer by hidding never used apps.
    Dock Swipes
    Get more use out of your dock apps by setting swipe-actions
    Additional Scroll Effects

Vote for features at the Nova Launcher User Voice. Search before posting a new feature request!

Help Translate

You can access Nova Settings by App Drawer > Menu > Nova Settings or long-press in empty space and tap the wrench.

Permissions:
    INTERNET/ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE/ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Optional & Anonymous error/usage reporting.
    CALL_PHONE: Only used if you place a direct-dial shortcut on the homescreen.
    Wallpaper/Vibrate/Status Bar : Standard Launcher functions
    BIND_APPWIDGET: Only if installed as a system app or root. Required for adding widgets from app drawer.
    WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Backup/restore and beta updates

Download links:

If interested in beta testing please join the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971

then opt-in at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher and you will receive beta updates through the Play Store.

Play Store

Alternatively you may manually download the latest APKs
    Release APK:
    Nova Launcher APK
    Beta APK:
    Nova Launcher Beta APK

Theme Developers
    Check out the example theme at https://github.com/teslacoil/Example_NovaTheme . Also consider adding "#Nova.Theme" to your Play Store description.
    Please find the changelog and beta download links at http://novalauncher.com/beta/
    2.3beta1 Nov 11, 2013
    • Kitkat scroll indicator (Settings > Desktop > Scroll Indicator)
    • Kitkat folders (Settings > Folders > Light Background and Folder Background > Light Circle)
    • Kitkat font (Settings > Look and Feel > Icon Font > Condensed, requires Android 4.1+)
    • Kitkat app drawer (on by default, get the old style by long-press > Edit > tap the icon > Built-in)
    • Transparent system bars on Kitkat (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Notification Bar)
    • Transparent nav bar on Moto X (Settings > Look and feel > Transparent Navigation Bar)
    • Drawer tab indicator scrolls during tab change
    • Drawer scroll indicator is relative to current tab
    • Scroll indicators animate properly for infinite scroll
    • Backup/Restore from external sdcard (on devices with sdcards)
    • Fast scroll for vertical app drawer
    • Fixes and optimizations

Join the Nova Launcher Beta G+ community, then opt-in .

Or Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.2.3 Sep 17, 2013
    https://plus.google.com/109670429793951665860/posts/4BwdcKy5T2b
    Nova Launcher and KitKat

With the recent Android 4.4 (KitKat) update there have been lots of questions about what this means for Nova Launcher. I still need to do a lot more research and work before I have definitive answers for all the questions. However I can give a brief summary of what to expect.

Nova will be updated to include, as options, much of the Nexus 5 launcher's look and feel. I've included a screenshot of an unstable development version of Nova Launcher. You can see KitKat style light folders icons and background, circular page indicator, and transparent system bars (on the Nexus 5). These will be optional so if you prefer the darker Jellybean style you can keep it.

Transparent system bars will not be available to all devices. The system bars are drawn by the SystemUI component, not the launcher. KitKat introduces an API for apps such as Nova Launcher to request that the SystemUI draw these with only a light gradient background. Not all KitKat devices will support this functionality for performance reasons, and Nova will be unable to force it. Also older Android versions are unaware of this new API in KitKat and thus will not get transparent system bars. The exception is that some devices, such as the TouchWiz SGS4, had transparent system bars implemented by the manufacturer skin, and Nova is able to make use of their private APIs for this.

Google Now integration, in the exact same way that Google does so, is not possible. This includes the swipe to the left for Google Now and the "Ok, Google" hotword. The Google Experience Launcher (GEL) is not a stand alone component, but actually a bundle of Google Search, Google Now, and GEL. With current APIs, it's not possible for Nova to access Google Now in the exact same way that the GEL does. However I am looking into ways to achieve similar functionality. Quick access to Google Now is already possible by swiping up from the home button (on devices with navigation bars), or by assigning a Nova Gesture to launch Google Now. Some users have suggested placing a full screen Google Now widget on the left most page. I'll be investigating further enhancements in this area, but it's important to note that the exact Google experience is not possible for non-Google apps.

The new launcher also redesigned the app and widgets drawer. Google has removed Widgets from the App Drawer and now places them in their own drawer accessible by long-pressing in empty space. I'm looking into how a setup like this could work with Nova Launcher. it is not a straightforward change due to Nova's additional functionality such as custom drawer tabs. But it is something I can take inspiration from.

There are also a number of bug fixes and performance improvements that Google has built into the new launcher that I will be investigating. Nova supports a much wider range of android versions and devices than the Google Launcher so performance improvements often need lots of testing or modification to ensure they don't actually hurt performance on some devices.

SMS integration with Hangouts poses a problem for unread badges in Nova Launcher. Unfortunately Hangouts does not provide an API for other apps to access the unread count. I am looking into workarounds.

Some Nova Launcher Prime users have asked if I plan on charging again. Don't worry, the answer is no. Nova Launcher Prime continues to sell well, which is great as I love working on it.

I cannot provide ETAs. I will most likely be spreading some changes across multiple Nova Launcher updates to get them out to users sooner.

I don't have any beta ready for users just yet, but when I do you can help test by joining the beta community at https://plus.google.com/communities/103449253667195874971 and then opt-in for the Nova beta at https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.launcher/join and TeslaUnread https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.teslacoilsw.notifier/join . When a beta is ready you will see it as an update in the Play Store. Please note that betas are early releases and are not fully tested yet, if you are uncomfortable with this then please wait until the final release as it will be heavily tested.

NovaKitKat.png
    2.1beta1 May 6, 2013
    • BETA
    • Edit icons and titles of apps in drawer
    • Improved drawer group interface
    • Ability to add drawer folders to desktop
    • New icon and wallpaper picker
    • Improved settings for adding new apps to desktop
    • Support SGS4's transparent notification bar (Only on stock SGS4)
    • Fix drawer not reflecting locale changes
    • Fix for accuweather widget
    • Optimizations and fixes

Settings > Check for updates > Menu > Beta or Download the Beta APK

Older Versions:
    Latest Stable APK: 2.0.2 Apr 5, 2013