[GUIDE] [4/26/12] [CWM 5.8.1.3 *TOUCH*] NVFlashing CWM Recovery for Dummies

Search This thread

suhailtheboss

Jun 25, 2009
Kansas City
I can't even get my computer to install the APX drivers... when I pull the battery and hold both volume buttons and insert the usb it just comes up as unknown device not apx device and when I try and update the driver I says no files related to your device when I select the nvidia drivers. Hating my pc right now, this is why I love my old mac lol.

Sent from my G2x

try to just select the APX folder when it promts for the drivers

it should automatically pick the ones you need from the folder

suhailtheboss

Jun 25, 2009
Kansas City
can anyone please make a video on how to use nvflash?

and the apx cant be installed since they are just files and not a exe. so how would it work

unfortunately i cant make a video for you right now, but in order to install the drivers you just click the "windows found new device" popup, then select "manually select drivers"

and then select the APX folder which you unzipped everything to. windows should then automatically install everything for you.

Last edited:

skyhigh2004

Oct 10, 2010
Saint Cloud MN
unfortunately i cant make a video for you right now, but in order to install the drivers you just click the "windows found new device" popup, then select "manually install drivers"

and then select the APX folder which you unzipped everything to. windows should then automatically install everything for you.

How does it come up as windows has found a new device when the battery is out and volume buttons held down?

Sent from my G2x

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011
unfortunately i cant make a video for you right now, but in order to install the drivers you just click the "windows found new device" popup, then select "manually install drivers"

for win 7?

suhailtheboss

Jun 25, 2009
Kansas City
How does it come up as windows has found a new device when the battery is out and volume buttons held down?

Sent from my G2x

the phone is still powering up and connecting to the PC via the usb power.

i'm using a macbook with fusion, and fusion is running a stripped down performance tweaked version of XP

i am not sure how different versions of windows would promt the installation.

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
I'll be uploading a crapshoot of a video in a while so hang tight. I'm satisfied with it... and it should guide you through the whole process of flashing a recovery from start to finish. so hang in there!! :p

You'll be disappointed in finding out it's not an actual video but rather a slideshow of sorts... lol

But it works! :p

Last edited:

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011
nvm i got it to work, took me about 3 mins to use nvflash with no problem. now if i get bricked i dont have to worry about rebooting into recovery

staticshadow

Sep 8, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Error

Ive been trying this for a while now and i cant get it to work. It keeps giving me a file not found error... can anyone help?

Attachments

• nvflasherror.jpg
    nvflasherror.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 610

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011
to the OP for guide editing between steps 4 and 5: for vista/win 7 users when the new device pops up and it says " apx: no driver found"

go to computer tab on the start menu and right click computer and go to manager

when it pops up go to "device manager" and look for APX and you should see a triangle with a explamation point (!)

right click it and click update drivers then when it prompts to browse system for drivers, just look for the folder and check "include subfolders" then press install

sryan1983

Feb 5, 2010
Oviedo, FL
I believe the OP is still incorrect as far as the code goes.

The OP says
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

When it should say
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR_0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

Notice the MLR-0DM is changed to MLR_0DM. When I tried with the - I get the
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: fastboot.bin
/ 1024992/1024992 bytes sent
fastboot.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader failed NvError 0x0
command failure: bootloader download failed

When I tried with the _ it worked with no problems and writes successfully.

Sorry people, I actually did try to record this for a video but it turns out in order to NVFlash this successfully AND record the video, I would need at least 3 hands.

Last edited:

staticshadow

Sep 8, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
i believe the op is still incorrect as far as the code goes.

The op says
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct e1108_hynix_512mb_h8tbr00u0mlr-0dm_300mhz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

when it should say
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct e1108_hynix_512mb_h8tbr00u0mlr_0dm_300mhz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

notice the mlf-0dm is changed to mlr_0dm. When i tried with the - i get the

when i tried with the _ it worked with no problems and writes successfully.

Sorry people, i actually did try to record this for a video but it turns out in order to nvflash this successfully and record the video, i would need at least 3 hands.

thaaannnnkkkk youuu

Suprah

Mar 13, 2011

The OP says
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

When it should say
Code:
nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR_0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-star-test2.img

Sorry people, I actually did try to record this for a video but it turns out in order to NVFlash this successfully AND record the video, I would need at least 3 hands.

nope the op correct because the .bct file he provided has MLR-0DM and it loaded for me no problem

shadow666

Mar 30, 2010
Washington D.C.

The OP says
Code:

When it should say
Code:

either way it fails for me...but when I paste for the second time and hit enter it just says nvflash started, but nothing happens!? do I have to keep both vol up/down keys until the whole process is done?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This has been tested and confirmed to be working. Follow instructions to the key and you should be good to go!
    If you are having ANY issues, watch the video below before posting! It seems to solve a lot of the errors

*WARNING* *WARNING* *WARNING*
    NVFlash is a powerful utility that works at a very low level on your phone. There are few safety mechanisms built into a tool like this because it is intended for use by people with suitable training. This CAN brick your device. It is unlikely to create an irrecoverable situation, but it does have the power to create a situation that you can not recover from yourself, thus requiring factory maintenance. Warranty coverage for your phone is not guaranteed after using NVFlash. Please proceed with the use of the tool carefully and at your own risk.​

All credit goes to RussUnderhill, Fitsnugly, krylon360, player911, djmcnz and mapin0518 who made this guide possible :)

Useful hint: Copy and paste the commands into the command prompt to reduce error :)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

The files you need:
    1. NVFlash.zip (Windows NVFlash app + CWM Recovery 5.0.2.0 Image)
    2. APX Driver.zip (APX Driver)

Optional files:

Now let's extract the files:

We will be extracting to these two folders:
    Code:
    C:\G2x\APX Driver
    C:\G2x\NVFlash
    Extract APX Driver.zip to C:\G2x\APX Driver
    Extract NVFlash.zip to C:\G2x\NVFlash

Here's how to do it:
    • Remove the battery
    • Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    • Insert the USB cable

• Install APX driver from the your APX folder
      For windows 7(and vista? please confirm):
      Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
      Right click on the APX device
      Select 'Update driver software'
      Select 'Browse my computer...'
      Select 'Let me pick...'
      Select 'Have disk'
      Browse to directory you extracted the *driver* software to: C:\G2x\APX Driver
      Select the *entire* 'APX Driver' folder; Do not go inside of it!
      Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
      Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
      If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat​

• Unplug everything
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    • navigate to your NVFlash folder:
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-p999.img

You should see it send a bunch of files to the device and the phone screen should say "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading...". You can let go of the volume buttons at this point. Once the files are sent and the program is finished running in the command window, you CAN just pull the USB cord or be safe and just wait a few extra minutes, however it will still say "upgrading."

To get into Recovery:
    • Plug the battery back in (or power off the device if it was on)
    • Hold Vol Down + Power until you see the LG splash screen with blue highlights (that means keep holding for ~10 seconds after you see the LG boot screen).

This is if you already have all the files and drivers set up:
    How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.8.1.3:

CWM Touch is still experimental. Flash at your own risk. Do not expect much help if something goes wrong or does not work right, be prepared for some crisis management. Not everything works properly, but when it does work, it works pretty well. This has bugs. Do NOT flash this unless you know how to flash an alternate recovery if things go wrong.​

• download the 5.8.1.3 clockworkmod *TOUCH* recovery image
    • place p999-5.8.1.3.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    • execute the following commands:
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 p999-5.8.1.3.img

How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.7:
    • download the 5.0.2.7 clockworkmod recovery image
    • place recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-p999.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.7-p999.img

How to revert back to stock recovery:
    • download the optional stock recovery image
    • extract or place part5.img in C:\G2x\NVFlash
    • Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 part5.img

NVFlash for dummies - Guide to set up and flash a recovery
    ***Poor quality and outdated but it gets the job done***

Frequently asked questions:
    Where do I place the .img files?
    You place the .img files in the NVFlash folder you created PRIOR to flashing.

I'm getting an error.
    • You MUST keep both volume buttons held down the whole time until you get the success message in command prompt!
    • Try using a different USB port on the computer
    Here's how to do it for all the little nooblies :p
    I won't add it to the OP until it is confirmed working and/or stable.
    Credit goes out to @RussUnderhill for getting a working touch recovery for the G2x.

• Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash
    nvflash.exe --bct E1108_Hynix_512MB_H8TBR00U0MLR-0DM_300MHz_final_emmc_x8.bct --bl fastboot.bin --download 5 p999-5.8.1.3.img
    I've added the instructions to flash the touch recovery to the OP, with a nice little warning. Guys, don't use this unless you know how to fix it.

Also, Windows 8 is beta software in itself, I wouldn't trust this to work on it anyways.

CWM Touch is still experimental. Flash at your own risk. Do not expect much help if something goes wrong or does not work right, be prepared for some crisis management. Not everything works properly, but when it does work, it works pretty well. This has bugs. Do NOT flash this unless you know how to flash an alternate recovery if things go wrong.​

• Unplug everything
    • remove the battery
    • Insert USB cable
    • open command prompt
    Code:
    cd \
    cd g2x\nvflash

The OP says
    Code:

When it should say
    Code:

downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
    sending file: fastboot.bin
    / 1024992/1024992 bytes sent
    fastboot.bin sent successfully
    waiting for bootloader to initialize
    bootloader failed NvError 0x0
    command failure: bootloader download failed

I downloaded everything in his post, and the only way it would flash is with the _ not the -

I flashed the same way multiple times and it seems to work for me... :confused:

Anyways, here's the crap video I promised:
    Feel free to upload your own - one made with an actual camera ;)