To everyone who says the GPS sucks

Search This thread

FYDave

May 16, 2011
Hm, is there anything I could do to improve the speed of my GPS lock on? I flashed the MR2 radio the other day and it still seems to take just as long as it did prior to flashing to the new radio.

brizey

Aug 6, 2011
I think a lot of people here do not understand how to use GPS Status to improve your GPS lock time. You do not just turn it on a let it get a lock. You have to go to Menu/Tools/Manage A-GPS state. Then hit download. Then wait for it to get a lock. Should be very fast if you are in a reasonable location.

Cell phones in general use A-GPS, which is assisted GPS. It uses network information to get a coarse location then uses GPS to refine the location. Think of it like a viewfinder on a telescope--first you get in the ballpark with the viewfinder, then you refine your search with the more powerful telescope.

It is my theory that the phone stores this info with the radio, not the ROM, so it does not get wiped when flashing, which explains why the flash to sense ROM trick works. It is also my theory that while the radio stores the information, the ROM generates it, and the AOSP ROMS do not due it properly, but GPS Status does. This is just me making a guess based on behavior, not actually knowing the code, so I could be wrong.

chimpsnest

Aug 25, 2010
Wow... what kind of retard would do that? That's gotta be the stupidest thing you could ever do...

People do it all the time, I had two of my girlfriends have their wallets/purses stolen while they ran into a convenient store to just grab a quick drink and snack. The car wasn't running, but it was unlocked and their stuff was right there for the world to see. They learned from it, as I'm sure the OP has also learned a lesson.

OP .... maybe this is a "it's time to quit smoking" omen :)

Seriously, very glad you got your ride back, as another poster mentioned your insurance may have denied your claim. THAT would suck. Thanks for the info on Plan B - going to look into that!

tornadog

Feb 21, 2008
I went to Atlanta last month and took a risk using just Google Navigation on my TB. And I didn't get lost even once. Saved 60 bucks not renting a GPS from Hertz

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It doesn't. My car was stolen last night out of a gas station while I ran in to get cigarettes. Long story short, my phone was also in the car and on. I pushed an app called Plan B by Lookout at jcase's recommendation. Lo and behold, 45 seconds later, I was emailed and EXACT location of the phone. I notified the officer I filed my report with that I have an address from my phone and within 3-4 hours of my car being stolen, it was found and towed and intact! The GPS was dead on. I think it's fair to say that the GPS doesn't get the credit it deserves on the Thunderbolt! :)