Just exchanged my LG G2 for the Z1s. Here are my first impressions

Search This thread

fjevel

Oct 24, 2008
The battery draw has nothing to do with the phone. It must have been something else causing this. I have had quite a few Android phones, and there is no phone that is immune to cockups from apps going bananas keeping the phone from entering deep sleep.

-KJ

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
Just so you know the standby battery life on the Z1 is excellent, I never lose more than 3% overnight, pretty sure something in the background was eating your battery.
Anyways did you go back to the g2?

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

OCedHrt

May 18, 2009
San Jose
Seriously, I can take my z1s out all day and be at 80% after nearly 20 hours.this is with multiple accounts and no battery saving modes turned on.

The only thing that sucks battery is the overly bright display.

Sent from my C6916 using xda app-developers app

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've used the G2 since it came out for T-Mobile and while I thought it had the best battery for any smartphone I have used. I'm going to have to say I'm getting similar if not better results with the Z1s.

With the G2 I struggled to get 5 hours screen time but with the Z1s I've reached it on my first battery cycle and so far I haven't had a problem reaching it on a constant basis. Also the standby time on the Z1s is amazing compare to the G2.

Sent from my Xperia Z1s

tiunilohmu

Dec 27, 2006
Just my 2 cents. If you are a tweaker like op himself, flash rom often, I suggest you think twice to get the intl unlocked version.
Z1 development is not that great yet. Tmobile z1s is gonna be worst. There are two great roms recently got stopped developing. So bootlocker unlockable is a smart way to go. Hope that help.

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
Just my 2 cents. If you are a tweaker like op himself, flash rom often, I suggest you think twice to get the intl unlocked version.
Z1 development is not that great yet. Tmobile z1s is gonna be worst. There are two great roms recently got stopped developing. So bootlocker unlockable is a smart way to go. Hope that help.

I wouldn't even touch the bootloader even if its unlockable after seeing so many bricked device. I would've buy Samsung or HTC if I like flashing roms. I still have my old HTC Sensation and Galaxy S4. But I hope Z1s can obtained root at least.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2

epsix

Aug 29, 2010
DP

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Ever since I joined T Mobile I personally stop flashing ROMs due to the fact I need wifi calling. As long as we have root I'm happy. I'm dying to remove the Navi bars on the bottom and start using pie control

Sent from my Xperia Z1s

Tmobile WiFi calling is awesome when you travel international Europe, Asia etc. You can use wifi calling free and call back to US is also free. Hehe

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk 2

Appogee

Dec 6, 2010
Ever since I joined T Mobile I personally stop flashing ROMs due to the fact I need wifi calling. As long as we have root I'm happy. I'm dying to remove the Navi bars on the bottom and start using pie control

Sent from my Xperia Z1s

Too bad the bloatware from T-Mo is just insane... I hate having Lookout pre-installed too. I'm more of an Avast guy myself. For now, though, Themer has got me content with the stock rom. I can't stand the navigation bar though, not enough options/customization for me. I prefer the standard Cyanogen/Paranoid/AOKP type customization.

nightfox11

Apr 30, 2010
Venice
Too bad the bloatware from T-Mo is just insane... I hate having Lookout pre-installed too. I'm more of an Avast guy myself. For now, though, Themer has got me content with the stock rom. I can't stand the navigation bar though, not enough options/customization for me. I prefer the standard Cyanogen/Paranoid/AOKP type customization.

Just disable the apps u dont like until we find a root method.

pham077

Jul 3, 2011

Hi, I thought pie controls were only on the AOSP roms! Is there somewhere i can find the standalone pie function and flash with root?

thanks!

One Twelve

Oct 28, 2013
Everything was already installed/synced/etc. I have had many phones over the months and no phone came close to sucking as bad as this did in the battery department right out of the gate.
Well, then you should have give it at least 10 charge/discharge cycles before trying another. A battery that has been exposed to heat is not going to work too well. But all you did was one or maybe two and then gave up.

I can also give you sources if you'd like of reports on battery life where z1 came close to last on every one. In fact, I searched the interwebs for almost 2 hours and not a single battery report actually gave the Z1/z1s anywhere above average. They were all below average if not the worst around compared to modern phones
There are plenty of sources here that will refute them wholesale. It ain't the battery.

So what happened ? t-mobile gives you just one day before they lock you into a 2 yr contract. It was too risky to wait longer and be stuck with it.

You can trade things in easy, the international lot are pretty much stuck with whatever we buy. And we buy the damn thing retail, no contract. A major decision.

So what are left with it now ? the note 3. there will be themed roms but no AOSP. I dumped samsung because exynos has even less development and i'm not a fan of this KNOX business. How dev friendly will that be.

That leaves you with the nexus 5. Decent camera. tweak heaven.

Last edited:

Ibkevin

Jan 1, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks so much for that! I finally bothered to root the phone ... will try this today

Thanks again!

Am I understanding you right?, you did root your Z1s?? Can you tell me what method you used and point me in the right direction? I'm dying for root but I haven't seen anything about it for the Z1s.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fatannasty

Beautyspin

Apr 8, 2011
Hyderabad
www.techgadgettalk.com
Must be an exception

Everything was already installed/synced/etc. I have had many phones over the months and no phone came close to sucking as bad as this did in the battery department right out of the gate. I can also give you sources if you'd like of reports on battery life where z1 came close to last on every one. In fact, I searched the interwebs for almost 2 hours and not a single battery report actually gave the Z1/z1s anywhere above average. They were all below average if not the worst around compared to modern phones

I think some thing must be wrong (maybe there is an app that is misbehaving). I have everything on - 3g, wifi, gps etc., and 5 different pedometer apps that are always on. I get almost two days of battery...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just wanted to let you all know my first impressions of the Z1s. A bit of background, I just traded in the LG G2. Before that I had the Lumia 1020, HTC One, S3, and then before that the iPhone.

Holding the Z1s in my hand feels very nice. It has a weight to it which just feels good. A lot of the phones such as the S3 feel like a toy or like you'd break it just by touching it. The Z1s does not have this issue.

The bezels on the top and bottom are HUGE. It doesn't look so bad once you get used to it but it's still a small issue (won't stop me from liking this phone though).

The screen gets quite bright and even when I'm outside it is visible. HTC One was quite the opposite and taking it outside in direct light was a nightmare. The viewing angles are not as bad as the reviews might make you think. I was expecting the worse but it's not bad at all. (And I still have the included screen protectors on).

This thing is ZIPPY. It just glides from one screen to the next. I know the specs help but I also think the very minimal UI is also a reason. I like it, reminds me a bit of stock google. I will be putting my favorite launcher on it (action launcher) and I don't think the silky performance will be affected.

Battery life right now sucks, but that is because it's downloading my apps/settings/etc. Sucking right now is a given so I can't really comment on it.

The camera is freakin nice. Coming from the Lumia 1020 and it's 40MP sensor I have high expectations for what can be done on a phone. This camera is easily the best camera on an ANDROID device. If google would get it's head out of it's ass and allow developers to adjust the shutter delay then it'd be even better.

The one big thing I hate right now, is the locked bootloader. I'm not sure what the hell Sony/TMobile was thinking. Hopefully it gets cracked soon. I'm a tweaker, the kind of guy that will try a different rom every week until I find the perfect one for me. Even knowing it is locked, I love this phone. SOMEONE will crack it open... I hope.

I'll come back and update this after a day or two then after a week or two. So far though, (even with the crappy locked bootloader) I'd suggest this phone to everyone.

Rob
    Answer this one more question and I'm sold on it.
    How is the camera in low light compared to the HTC One?

I will let you know tonight. This was the big thing that I loved with the HTC One and Lumia 1020. The HTC One ROCKED in low light but the low details because of the low MP really hurt the phone. I'd go back to HTC One or HTC One Two in a heart beat if they raised the MP. I switched off of the LG G2 because the low light wasn't impressive at all. I'll post back in about 5-6 hours with pictures. I'll take some outside when the sun is going down, when the sun is gone, indoors and out.
    How does the Z1s camera compare to the G2? I'm in the same boat as you, thinking about switching to the Z1s from the G2. I'm only concerned about the differences in battery life and camera quality, at least one would have to be better than the G2 for me to make the switch! Looking forward to your impressions. Thanks!

The camera is the reason I switched. I was hoping for good things with the G2 but after I got it I tried taking photos of my kids in the living room at night and had to take 12+ photos to get one that wasn't blurry. It was frustrating. The Z1s has bigger pixels to capture more light and a higher resolution. I'll take some night photos tonight but so far the day time photos are great. If you don't know the Z1s does the same thing as the Lumia 1020 when it comes to photos. It takes a 20MP photo and then oversamples it down to the 8MP photo to keep the size down but also provide good details of the higher photos. This also allows the lossless zooming.

I'll give updated impressions but so far I really like it. We'll see how low light shots go tonight
    Just wanted to give you a heads up. I traded in my Z1 back to Tmobile. While I can do with bad screen angles and such one thing I can't deal with is a bad battery that is non-removable. When I heard the Z1s had a 3000 battery I figured it'd be great because that is a pretty huge battery. My LG G2 was the same size and could easily go 1-2 days between charges. My Z1s was dropping 8-12% an hour with everything turned off.

I never bothered looking to see if the battery was ok before I bought it because everything said it was 3000mhz. Which is is. But after researching it after the fact I found out the Z1/Z1s has some of the worst battery life out of any major phone released in the last year. That coupled with the fact it has a locked bootloader made me return it. A great camera is only good if the phone has juice.

you do know that a phone's battery is worst when hyou first get it, because it starts off low and the phone is trying to reinstall all your apps and services, contacts, media, etc? You really only get a truly good read on a battery after all that is complete and the battery has gone through several full charging cycles.

Sent from my Xperia Z1s