[ROOT] [AT&T, TELUS, Bell, Rogers] Pre-Rooted Kernel (flash via Odin)

Search This thread

Da_G

Inactive Senior RD / Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2007
Riverside, CA
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

You may need the USB Drivers available here. (Support & Downloads for SGH-I717)

Once the USB Drivers are installed, power off the phone, then hold volume down and power it on, you'll get a screen asking you to hit vol up to continue, do so. This puts the phone in download mode.

Stick the provided pda.tar in the PDA box of Odin3 1.85, flash away!

Install Superuser from the market after booting.

Note that this will increase your flash counter, which is presumably used by Samsung as a reason to decline warranty service (not aware of any reports of this occuring yet...?)

Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)

Last edited:

goalcam

Feb 11, 2008
Vancouver
Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations, adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

Once the USB Drivers are installed, power off the phone, then hold volume down and power it on, you'll get a screen asking you to hit vol up to continue, do so. This puts the phone in download mode.

Note that this will increase your flash counter. Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)

This should work on the Canadian versions, right? Or would this be AT&T specific?

bkeaver

OK what am I doing wrong. I installed super user from the market and this is what I am getting....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329596205728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329596205728.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,622

eoh7678

Oct 13, 2008
OK, followed directions precisely. Installed Superuser from Market and get the following:

su binary vnull

When trying to update:

Checking installed version = legacy

Fixing database... okay!
Checking for busybox... not found
Downloading custom busybox... okay!
Checking md5sum... okay!
Checking current install path... fail!
Failed to find currently installed su binary. Update cannot continue.

Checked, and the flash count shows 1 with new image, and the new boot animation is showing up.

If I can screw something up, I will.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

SPtheALIEN

Mar 15, 2011
San Diego
Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations, adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

Note that this will increase your flash counter. Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)

What does increasing a flash counter do? Forgive a noob.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

This kernel enables custom boot animations (/system/media/sanim.zip), adb root, init.d support, runs a script to auto-root your /system partition, and then you're on your merry way :)

Note that this will increase your flash counter, which is presumably used by Samsung as a reason to decline warranty service (not aware of any reports of this occuring yet...?)

Don't forget the donate link in my signature if you found this useful and want to motivate me to work on overclock/undervolt ;)
    More than likely not, due to the bootloader revision.. however since my counter is already up in the dozens I can look at putting some time into finding where the counter is stored, so that we can wipe it at will ;)
    Ok, it was a simple typo in the root script that prevented su and busybox from being installed properly, oops! :)

Fixed now in the first post, back to regularly scheduled programming.. look for Overclock/Undervolt soon ;)
    +1

I'm interested in a root method for the ota update. I don't really care about tripping the counter, and I'm not wanting to flash roms on this phone (it's my wife's), I just want to debloat and enable gtalk video chat over 4G.

Odin and USB drivers are in the first post.

1. Flash the odin version of this via Odin
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24505604

2. Download this to your sdcard then reboot to recovery and flash this.
    http://download.chainfire.eu/204/SuperSU/CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip

There you go. Stock rooted

Sent from A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!
    @goalcam:
    The kernel is built from AT&T source. I haven't examined the Canadian source yet, I'll take a look and see if it'll work.

@bkeaver:
    Appreciated! :)