5,593,401 Members 36,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Remapping search button on startscreen to contactlist search?

Tip us?
 
Marvin_S
Old
#1  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 881
Join Date: Dec 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Remapping search button on startscreen to contactlist search?

Since im not a big fan of bing and the app is useless for search results in my country, i dont like the search button at all and it annoys me when I accidently press it and a useless picture with a textbox comes up... now that this problem is solved with the instant start hack its less of a big deal.

However it would be much nicer if we could map this searchbutton to a contactlist search, like when in the people hub hitting search. Having this same action on the main page. Idk if this is possible, since it is possible to tap into the browser search button, maybe it is possible to change the action for the homepage, or something else.

Anybody an idea?
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marvin_S For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
diboze
Old
(Last edited by diboze; 20th March 2011 at 09:31 AM.)
#2  
diboze's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 281
Join Date: Jun 2009
would like to remap that button, too.

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location
 
Marvin_S
Old
#3  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 881
Join Date: Dec 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by diboze View Post
would like to remap that button, too.

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location
Cool, however I have samsung and cant acces the file explorer. Do you know if there is a link to that file specified in the registry? So we could just modifie that link and see what it does.
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.

 
mikokwan
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 27
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by diboze View Post
would like to remap that button, too.

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location
I got error. "Unable to delete."
 
Marvin_S
Old
#5  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 881
Join Date: Dec 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikokwan View Post
I got error. "Unable to delete."
There is something comming up which can replace the search button for something nicer, they have still some hurdles to overcome but its comming along pretty nicely i believe and it will truly add a usefull function instead of no results bing
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.

 
mikokwan
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 27
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_S View Post
There is something comming up which can replace the search button for something nicer, they have still some hurdles to overcome but its comming along pretty nicely i believe and it will truly add a usefull function instead of no results bing
I always ACCIDENTALLY hit the button, especially during game. So, I would like to disable.
 
barsy
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 10
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_S View Post
Since im not a big fan of bing and the app is useless for search results in my country, i dont like the search button at all and it annoys me when I accidently press it and a useless picture with a textbox comes up... now that this problem is solved with the instant start hack its less of a big deal.

However it would be much nicer if we could map this searchbutton to a contactlist search, like when in the people hub hitting search. Having this same action on the main page. Idk if this is possible, since it is possible to tap into the browser search button, maybe it is possible to change the action for the homepage, or something else.

Anybody an idea?
it's a really nice idea i agree with you bing search really useless and it would be really cool if we can map as a people search button.
 
munkeyphyst
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 625
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by diboze View Post
would like to remap that button, too.

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location
Does disabling it on the home screen impact the button's functionality in it's other uses, such as search within Marketplace?
 
Marvin_S
Old
#9  
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 240
Posts: 881
Join Date: Dec 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyphyst View Post
Does disabling it on the home screen impact the button's functionality in it's other uses, such as search within Marketplace?
I have no idea, but for us the whole bing thing is useless so i never use it. Have to navigate to google.com to get the results i want to have. However to call somebody it would be really useful to have it working as people search. I dont mind if this behaviour is universal.
However i hope we will have a fully functional taskmanager soon which will override the bing app
Developer of:

Texas Hold'Em Poker Odds (FREE) Improve your chances with this poker odds calculator for Windows Phone!

Achtung! (FREE) for Windows Phone now available!
The first Achtung Die Kurve inspired game with intelligent A.I. for Windows Phone.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Prevent Unwanted Butt Dialing with Smart Pocket Guard

You may recall that back in August of last year, we took a look atAir SwiperbyXDA … more

Google ATAP Details Project Ara in Developers’ Conference

Earlier today, the Google ATAP teamkicked offits first ever Project Ara … more

HTC Sense 6 Ported to the Nexus 5

The Google Nexus 5 is regarded as having everything an Android user needs or wants: timely updates, … more