Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Remapping search button on startscreen to contactlist search?

OP Marvin_S

20th March 2011, 02:19 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 240

881 posts
Donate to Me
Since im not a big fan of bing and the app is useless for search results in my country, i dont like the search button at all and it annoys me when I accidently press it and a useless picture with a textbox comes up... now that this problem is solved with the instant start hack its less of a big deal.

However it would be much nicer if we could map this searchbutton to a contactlist search, like when in the people hub hitting search. Having this same action on the main page. Idk if this is possible, since it is possible to tap into the browser search button, maybe it is possible to change the action for the homepage, or something else.

Anybody an idea?
The Following User Says Thank You to Marvin_S For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2011, 09:45 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 14

281 posts
More
would like to remap that button, too.

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location
Last edited by diboze; 20th March 2011 at 10:31 AM.
20th March 2011, 02:53 PM   |  #3  

881 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by diboze

For now I just deleted that button, by removing websearch.exe in /windows/ . should be possible to copy another file to that location

Cool, however I have samsung and cant acces the file explorer. Do you know if there is a link to that file specified in the registry? So we could just modifie that link and see what it does.
6th April 2011, 09:21 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
Unhappy
Quote:

I got error. "Unable to delete."
6th April 2011, 10:18 AM   |  #5  

881 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikokwan

I got error. "Unable to delete."

There is something comming up which can replace the search button for something nicer, they have still some hurdles to overcome but its comming along pretty nicely i believe and it will truly add a usefull function instead of no results bing
6th April 2011, 01:29 PM   |  #6  

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_S

There is something comming up which can replace the search button for something nicer, they have still some hurdles to overcome but its comming along pretty nicely i believe and it will truly add a usefull function instead of no results bing

I always ACCIDENTALLY hit the button, especially during game. So, I would like to disable.
7th April 2011, 02:44 AM   |  #7  

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin_S

Since im not a big fan of bing and the app is useless for search results in my country, i dont like the search button at all and it annoys me when I accidently press it and a useless picture with a textbox comes up... now that this problem is solved with the instant start hack its less of a big deal.

However it would be much nicer if we could map this searchbutton to a contactlist search, like when in the people hub hitting search. Having this same action on the main page. Idk if this is possible, since it is possible to tap into the browser search button, maybe it is possible to change the action for the homepage, or something else.

Anybody an idea?

it's a really nice idea i agree with you bing search really useless and it would be really cool if we can map as a people search button.
7th April 2011, 06:54 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 72

625 posts
More
Quote:

Does disabling it on the home screen impact the button's functionality in it's other uses, such as search within Marketplace?
8th April 2011, 11:21 PM   |  #9  

881 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyphyst

Does disabling it on the home screen impact the button's functionality in it's other uses, such as search within Marketplace?

I have no idea, but for us the whole bing thing is useless so i never use it. Have to navigate to google.com to get the results i want to have. However to call somebody it would be really useful to have it working as people search. I dont mind if this behaviour is universal.
However i hope we will have a fully functional taskmanager soon which will override the bing app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread