Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,313 Members 49,721 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

Tip us?

verygreen
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2,580

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomclock View Post
I'm using an 8Gb sdcard and I can access both the emmc and sdcard partitions through ADB but only the emmc partition is mounted.

So, I just need to try this with a different nightly build until I find one where the issue is corrected?

Well, I tried it with both cm_encore_full-25 and cm_encore_full-26 and still only the emmc partition is mounted.
As long as everything is mounted internally I don't think my changes broke anything else, so if there is a bug it's in the CM7 build itself.
I don't actually mount my nook on the computer, so I don't even know how to enable it by default come think of it.
I just know there was an ongoing work in this area to allow simultaneous mounting of multiple volumes and I heard it was already included, though I am not 100% sure about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to verygreen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aludal
Old
Thanks Meter 12
To verygreen:
Well, I'm certainly doing something wrong here:
1. Using Win32DiskImager release 0.2 r23, i burnt my 2 GB with your generic.... .img image.
2. Copied your update.... .zip (on a second attempt an original cm_encore... .zip, plus gapps-GB-20110307-...zip, as installer was asking for it, at least to inflate), now I suspect your "put" is not equal to my "copy".
3. Tried to boot, enjoyed the penguin and boot scroll, but after everything was finished and prepared to "really" boot the boot was executed from my eMMC instead.

verygreen
Old
Thanks Meter 2,580

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aludal View Post
To verygreen:
Well, I'm certainly doing something wrong here:
1. Using Win32DiskImager release 0.2 r23, i burnt my 2 GB with your generic.... .img image.
2. Copied your update.... .zip (on a second attempt an original cm_encore... .zip, plus gapps-GB-20110307-...zip, as installer was asking for it, at least to inflate), now I suspect your "put" is not equal to my "copy".
3. Tried to boot, enjoyed the penguin and boot scroll, but after everything was finished and prepared to "really" boot the boot was executed from my eMMC instead.
Yes, the automatic reboot boots into eMMC for now, I am looking into it.
So just reboot again with the card in.
also, don't put gapps on the card at the first try. This combination does not boot for me into the desktop for some reason that I did not get to the root of. Possibly because it want internet connection setup that still is not if you try it on your first boot.

dzigns
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks verygreen! This is a fantastic build! I was able to quickly and easily install this on my sd card.

Thanks again!

aludal
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
Yes, the automatic reboot boots into eMMC for now, I am looking into it.
So just reboot again with the card in.
also, don't put gapps on the card at the first try. This combination does not boot for me into the desktop for some reason that I did not get to the root of. Possibly because it want internet connection setup that still is not if you try it on your first boot.
Somehow I went into non-booting phase, lol. My guess is after booting into my rooted Eclair with bookmarks-and-other-stuff-to SD I've got me an SD card not really good for "second" boot. Just have no idea what Eclair might do to that EXT4.

Anyways, repeated the experiment, now with pressing Power for >5 sec. Has booted into CyanogenMod 7 without a problem.

Can't do whatever testing: missing GAPPS very mucho! Please, Mr. verygreen, compile it into your image. In any case, I'm not really interested in swapping nightlies on this card -- by the last commits they didn't change much/significantly since n18. Just a static SD image of CM7 n26 + latest (03072011) Gapps will be a very desirable "mod" of yours. In any case you did exactly that (minus Gapps) for n17. Sure, there's a complete procedure of building SD image, but it's obviously much better followed when with a Linux box, and I don't have it.

verygreen
Old
Thanks Meter 2,580

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Somehow I went into non-booting phase, lol. My guess is after booting into my rooted Eclair with bookmarks-and-other-stuff-to SD I've got me an SD card not really good for "second" boot. Just have no idea what Eclair might do to that EXT4.
Supposedly nothing. I routinely boot into eclair and then insert CM7 sdcard and it's fine.

Quote:
Can't do whatever testing: missing GAPPS very mucho! Please, Mr. verygreen, compile it into your image. In any case, I'm not really interested in swapping nightlies on this card -- by the last commits they didn't change much/significantly since n18. Just a static SD image of CM7 n26 + latest (03072011) Gapps will be a very desirable "mod" of yours. In any case you did exactly that (minus Gapps) for n17. Sure, there's a complete procedure of building SD image, but it's obviously much better followed when with a Linux box, and I don't have it.
I can't distribute gapps, like I said
Well, until I figure out why recovery boot does not work what you can try to do is this:
after initial install was successful (and you setup your wireless), power off the nook, get the sd card.
Download gapps-gb-...zip and put it on the first partition.
move the uImage file to uImage.bak and uRamdisk to uRamdisk.bak.
Copy uRecImage to uImage and uRecRam to uRamdisk.
boot with the resulting image. It should say that it found the gapps archive and unpack it.
After it flushes caches and reboots, power off, put the sd card back into the computer
move uImage.bak to uImage and uRamdisk.bak to uRamdisk
boot off the card again, hopefully the gapps are working after that.

Please let me know if any problems arise.

Modra76
Old
(Last edited by Modra76; 21st March 2011 at 02:34 AM.) Reason: mistake in sentence
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by verygreen View Post
Supposedly nothing. I routinely boot into eclair and then insert CM7 sdcard and it's fine.

I can't distribute gapps, like I said
Well, until I figure out why recovery boot does not work what you can try to do is this:
after initial install was successful (and you setup your wireless), power off the nook, get the sd card.
Download gapps-gb-...zip and put it on the first partition.
move the uImage file to uImage.bak and uRamdisk to uRamdisk.bak.
Copy uRecImage to uImage and uRecRam to uRamdisk.
boot with the resulting image. It should say that it found the gapps archive and unpack it.
After it flushes caches and reboots, power off, put the sd card back into the computer
move uImage.bak to uImage and uRamdisk.bak to uRamdisk
boot off the card again, hopefully the gapps are working after that.

Please let me know if any problems arise.
I just tried following your directions for installing the gapps zip file. After renaming the uImage and the uRamdisk files the nook boots to your recovery with the penguin shows up with the follow:

Populating /dev using udev: done
Initializing random number generator....done
modprobe: chdir (2.6.32.9): No such file or directory
Starting network...
Detected Standard B&N nook layout, emmc first
It appears the SD card is already properly formatted
Skipping format
Mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 as /boot
Looking for the install images....
Initial Install files not found
Please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru
and put on first partition of this SD card
the name should start with updatei-cm and end with .zip

Then the cursor just sits. No installation of the .zip file. Do I have to have the original cm zip file on the sd card with the gapp zip file? I thought it was posted that doesn't work.

Also thanks for the great work on this so far.

ganovim
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Absolutely Fantastic and pain free. You have done a great service.
Thanks

ADude
Old
Thanks Meter 53
verygreen -

Would this work with an Android 3.0 Honeycomb Preview build, instead of a CM7 build ?

cybertimber2007
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modra76 View Post
I just tried following your directions for installing the gapps zip file. After renaming the uImage and the uRamdisk files the nook boots to your recovery with the penguin shows up with the follow:

Populating /dev using udev: done
Initializing random number generator....done
modprobe: chdir (2.6.32.9): No such file or directory
Starting network...
Detected Standard B&N nook layout, emmc first
It appears the SD card is already properly formatted
Skipping format
Mounting /dev/mmcblk1p1 as /boot
Looking for the install images....
Initial Install files not found
Please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru
and put on first partition of this SD card
the name should start with updatei-cm and end with .zip

Then the cursor just sits. No installation of the .zip file. Do I have to have the original cm zip file on the sd card with the gapp zip file? I thought it was posted that doesn't work.

Also thanks for the great work on this so far.
Seeing the same. Also tried naming the gapps file "update.zip", to no avail.