Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 39,726 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

Tip us?

robot8
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiermarini View Post
just got the nook color and wanted to mess around with cm7 on it. I downloaded the installer image provided by verygreen, but after I copy the image to the sd card and put it back in its not mounting the sd card anymore.

I tried to burn the image in windows using win32diskimager but it kept telling me there wasn't enough space on the sd card. So i booted into ubuntu and used
sudo dd if=generic-image.img of=/dev/whatever the sd card was bs=1M

Did i copy the image over incorrectly? or is there another reason why this could be happening?

thanks.

If you had followed the OP instructions you should have been fine. Right now you've "copy the image to the sd card" and then "tried to burn the image in windows" and then "booted into ubuntu and used sudo dd", I'd say your sd card is pretty messed up.

I'd mount your sd card to your computer with a card reader. Reclaim full with a partition manager, format fat32. Then burn verygreen's installer img to the card with win32diskimager. Remove, then reinsert card to card reader. Copy CM7 .zip to "boot" (only partition you'd now see in Win), remove sd card and insert into Nook. Power on and let it install.

japzone
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
just got the nook color and wanted to mess around with cm7 on it. I downloaded the installer image provided by verygreen, but after I copy the image to the sd card and put it back in its not mounting the sd card anymore.

I tried to burn the image in windows using win32diskimager but it kept telling me there wasn't enough space on the sd card. So i booted into ubuntu and used

Did i copy the image over incorrectly? or is there another reason why this could be happening?

thanks.
I agree with robot8. I would use Ubuntu because it's alot more cooperative when it comes to this.

If you don't have GParted installed get it with this command in terminal:
Code:
 sudo apt-get install gparted
Use GParted to Reformat your entire SD to FAT, and then use dd to burn the Image to your card.

Now resume the instructions and you should have working CM7.

__________________________________________________ __
Sent from NookColor CM7 uSD using Tapatalk

angomy
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:

thanks.

When you copied the image to the SD card, did you mean an actual copy action, or did you burn the image to the SD card using win32diskimager?

If your initial attempt to burn the image via win32diskimager was as follows:
- Inserted uSD into uSD reader
- opened windisk32imager and tried to burn the img file to the uSD and was given an error message of not enough space

The issue might be that your reader might be problematic. Is it built-in? My built-in reader in my laptop gives me the same (false) error message. When I connect the reader to one of my front-panel USB ports, I get the same error message as laptop's. When I use a standalone reader connected to one of the main USB ports on my desktop, it works fine.

If you actually did burn the img to the SD card ("after I copy the image to the sd card"), which device were you "putting it back in its not mounting the sd card anymore. "? The Nook or the reader?

jpiermarini
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot8 View Post
If you had followed the OP instructions you should have been fine. Right now you've "copy the image to the sd card" and then "tried to burn the image in windows" and then "booted into ubuntu and used sudo dd", I'd say your sd card is pretty messed up.

I'd mount your sd card to your computer with a card reader. Reclaim full with a partition manager, format fat32. Then burn verygreen's installer img to the card with win32diskimager. Remove, then reinsert card to card reader. Copy CM7 .zip to "boot" (only partition you'd now see in Win), remove sd card and insert into Nook. Power on and let it install.
Let me rephrase what i have said in my original post. i put the sd card into my laptop that has a built in sd card slot. i tried to burn the image with win32diskimager but it gave me an error saying the sd card didn't have enough space. according to angomy's post a couple posts down i'm probably getting that error because i'm using the built in sd reader.

after failing at win32diskimager i then booted into ubuntu and burned the image with the dd command. after burning the image with that command the sd card doesn't come up in ubuntu although i can see it with fdisk -l and when i try it in windows it pops up as needing to be formatted.

i'll go ahead and use gparted to get the sd card back to normal and maybe try to find an sd card reader here at work.

japzone
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Quote:
Let me rephrase what i have said in my original post. i put the sd card into my laptop that has a built in sd card slot. i tried to burn the image with win32diskimager but it gave me an error saying the sd card didn't have enough space. according to angomy's post a couple posts down i'm probably getting that error because i'm using the built in sd reader.

after failing at win32diskimager i then booted into ubuntu and burned the image with the dd command. after burning the image with that command the sd card doesn't come up in ubuntu although i can see it with fdisk -l and when i try it in windows it pops up as needing to be formatted.

i'll go ahead and use gparted to get the sd card back to normal and maybe try to find an sd card reader here at work.
That's probably best.

__________________________________________________ __
Sent from NookColor CM7 uSD using Tapatalk

TabletConnect
Old
Thanks Meter 12
My wife got a Nook Color and I just want to confirm that doing creating this CM7 installer on the SD card will basically allow her to dual boot (stock Nook & CM7). The NC will run CM7 if the SD card is installed. If it is not, regular stock Nook will boot. Am I correct in understanding this?

If not, where can I find information on setting up a bootable SD card with CM7?

thank you all
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter.

cameraz
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabletConnect View Post
My wife got a Nook Color and I just want to confirm that doing creating this CM7 installer on the SD card will basically allow her to dual boot (stock Nook & CM7). The NC will run CM7 if the SD card is installed. If it is not, regular stock Nook will boot. Am I correct in understanding this?

thank you all
You're in the right thread, and your assumptions are correct. Your wife's Nook Color will run CM7 with the SD card installed, and will revert back to stock if she powers off, removes the card and then reboots.

It's the best of both worlds!
The Following User Says Thank You to cameraz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

angomy
Old
(Last edited by angomy; 9th May 2011 at 05:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:

thank you all
This will allow you to create a CM7 install on SD card.

(Oops I misread your post, running on 4 hours of sleep today) -- feel free to ignore below if you don't care about multi booting

If you want dual boot functionality you will need to get either of the two multi-boots offered here and install it after finishing the agnostic card setup:

rookie1's multi-boot - no menu, depending on how you write the boot order file it will let you boot normally into SD, into EMMC (regular Nook stock) when you hold down N button, and recovery mode when you hold down both volume keys. You can switch the priority boot order by creating and editing a file.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ght=multi-boot

j4mm3r's multi-boot has a menu. When you boot up you have 5 seconds to hit a key to manually select what to boot from (sd vs mmc vs recovery). If left alone it will boot to w/e default you have it set (see his instructions in

Alternatively, you can do the 2GB expandable sd install w/ j4mm3r's multi-boot menu already incorporated -- but if you're using a 16GB+ card be forewarned that some have had issues (works fine 8GB under).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

I'm using the size-agnostic image with CM7 and nookie1's multi boot on a 16GB Sandisk, it's working fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to angomy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TabletConnect
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraz View Post
You're in the right thread, and your assumptions are correct. Your wife's Nook Color will run CM7 with the SD card installed, and will revert back to stock if she powers off, removes the card and then reboots.

It's the best of both worlds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by angomy View Post
This will allow you to create a CM7 install on SD card.

(Oops I misread your post, running on 4 hours of sleep today) -- feel free to ignore below if you don't care about multi booting

If you want dual boot functionality you will need to get either of the two multi-boots offered here and install it after finishing the agnostic card setup:

rookie1's multi-boot - no menu, depending on how you write the boot order file it will let you boot normally into SD, into EMMC (regular Nook stock) when you hold down N button, and recovery mode when you hold down both volume keys. You can switch the priority boot order by creating and editing a file.

j4mm3r's multi-boot has a menu. When you boot up you have 5 seconds to hit a key to manually select what to boot from (sd vs mmc vs recovery). If left alone it will boot to w/e default you have it set (see his instructions in

Alternatively, you can do the 2GB expandable sd install w/ j4mm3r's multi-boot menu already incorporated -- but if you're using a 16GB+ card be forewarned that some have had issues (works fine 8GB under).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1022786

I'm using the size-agnostic image with CM7 and nookie1's multi boot on a 16GB Sandisk, it's working fantastic.
Do I need to be rooted before doing this? Thanks
Follow us on Facebook & Twitter.

Taosaur
Old
Thanks Meter 186
Quote:
Do I need to be rooted before doing this? Thanks
As angomy said, you should probably ignore the things he posted because they don't apply to your situation. You do not need to root or otherwise disturb the operating system on your NC; if you follow the instructions in the OP of this thread, you will have CM7 running entirely from an SD card. You may want to consult this thread about an appropriate card to use:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13567695

If you have any trouble, this blog post includes more step-by-step instructions as well as a five-part video of the process:

http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html

All the paragraphs leading up to "Here is a list of all the things you will need" are a rambling introduction you can probably skip, as is the first video, but from there on it's quite helpful.