Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,968 Members 42,517 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

Tip us?

angomy
Old
(Last edited by angomy; 9th May 2011 at 06:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabletConnect View Post
Do I need to be rooted before doing this? Thanks
Edit: (If you mean CM7 + Nookie1's multiboot, or the 2GB expandable w/ multiboot install) - No, but it requires that you fiddle with files instead of just running the installers My install is entirely on the card, nothing's been done to touch the stock OS on the Nook's native drive.

paschott
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Is there an easy way to see the large partition of the SD card when dual-booting into the default Nook OS? It sees the card, but seems to only see the "boot" partition from the Nook OS. I'd love to be able to use the whole card if possible. Any ideas on ways to do that without rooting my Nook? Every suggestion I've seen implies that I need to root first and I really don't have a desire to do that right now.

Thanks.

GTT1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
FROM OP
""How to update to a new build:
put the new build you want to try on the first partition. (the name must be update-cm-*.zip or cm_encore_full*.zip or just update-*.zip)
Boot from the SDcard in the recovery mode (see above) and the new snapshot would be installed.
The partition layout would be preserved, filesystems are NOT reformatted, so your data should be safe.
""

I have tried and tried and cannot get this to update my SD. I know the CM7.0.3 file is good because I tested it on another card.

I guess I need to start from scratch unless someone has a thought on what I may be doing wrong.

Taosaur
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by paschott View Post
Is there an easy way to see the large partition of the SD card when dual-booting into the default Nook OS? It sees the card, but seems to only see the "boot" partition from the Nook OS. I'd love to be able to use the whole card if possible. Any ideas on ways to do that without rooting my Nook? Every suggestion I've seen implies that I need to root first and I really don't have a desire to do that right now.

Thanks.
Based on the thread, I'll assume by "dual-booting" you mean you're running CM7 from SD and the stock OS 1.2 from eMMC. If that's the case, are you aware that CM7 running off the SD does recognize the 5GB storage partition on eMMC? If there are files you want shared between the two OSes, you do have that much space available. If you need more space for magazines or kids books from B&N, you could always get a second card and swap.

Techienana
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT1 View Post
FROM OP
""How to update to a new build:
put the new build you want to try on the first partition. (the name must be update-cm-*.zip or cm_encore_full*.zip or just update-*.zip)
Boot from the SDcard in the recovery mode (see above) and the new snapshot would be installed.
The partition layout would be preserved, filesystems are NOT reformatted, so your data should be safe.
""

I have tried and tried and cannot get this to update my SD. I know the CM7.0.3 file is good because I tested it on another card.

I guess I need to start from scratch unless someone has a thought on what I may be doing wrong.
I was thinking of something you could try but I don't think I know enough about your problem to put my thought out here. Can you give a little more detail?

Taosaur
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTT1 View Post
It took a couple tries, but I just got 7.0.3 installed myself. Like Techienana said, it's hard to know if you're doing anything wrong without knowing what you've actually done. The steps are:

1. Place the update .zip file in the SD card's boot partition. If you are using a Windows machine, the boot partition will be the only one recognized. You cannot place this file in the boot partition from within CM7*

2. Return the SD card to your NC and boot into recovery by holding p+n for 3-4 seconds after the Touch the Future of Reading screen appears and then releasing (if the NC shuts off again, you held them too long).

3. A little penguin should appear in the upper left corner (landscape) followed by some text saying it's looking for update packages. If it finds one, you will see many many lines of text as it installs all the elements of the new ROM.

4. When the penguin says "safe to power off" or when the screen goes blank, power off then power back on. Things won't look any different, but go to Settings>CyanogenMod Settings>System and you should see you're running 7.0.3.

Did you definitely get the .zip into the boot partition? Did you successfully boot to the update/recovery screen with the penguin? If so, what did it say?

If the penguin detects your update package but does not install it successfully (as happened to me on round 1), you have to start at step 1, because it will erase the file.

*Except--and I can't confirm because I screwed up this time around--if you have automatic updates enabled, CM7 will download the update automatically, and offer to "reboot and install" WHICH DOES NOT WORK. However, none of the automatic "boot to recovery" options within CM7 work for me, so I'm guessing if I'd picked up at step 2 with a manual recovery boot, it would have installed.

Instead, I dl'ed the file in Windows, mounted the SD card, and tried to copy it over. The update...zip file wasn't visible on the SD, but Windows prompted me to Copy and Replace, then failed to do so, which I'm guessing corrupted the file. When I tried to boot, the penguin found the file but failed to install it, so I started over at step 1 and succeeded.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taosaur For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GTT1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Finally got it to work after different times releasing. For others it is just before the words go off the screen.

Might just start over again and reload everything clean including apps.

Awats
Old
(Last edited by Awats; 10th May 2011 at 02:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
I got it work. Nice Taosaur!

I did notice the first time it didn't update and just went into the old build. I rebooted again and held the buttons down as long as I could stand it while the opening screen was up ("Touch the Future or Reading" .. yeah, touch this.

It's a bit of a game of chicken ... or penguin ... around how long you have to hold the buttons. Who's going to flinch first! I count to 5 after the TtFoR comes up.

Voila!

Edit: I have discovered that the success of this stuff is heavily dependent on the speed/quality of the SD card. I started with some 4GB Class 4 Patriots and had continual problems with things locking up, Forced Close, big delays, etc.

I got a Sandisk Class 4 2GB and things starting working. Especially when overclocked. I then got a Sandisk 16GB and things still worked fine. For fun, I tried the 4 GB Patriots again just to see if my lack of experience was the problem.

Nope, they just don't work right. I would assume it's related to the legendary 4kb block write performance. What works on the Sandisk won't work (or is at least very flaky) on the Patriots.

Maybe things are even better flashing to the internal emmc, but for now SD is how I roll.

I wonder if I can go backwards on builds (in case one doesn't work ...) Hmm....

paschott
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Actually, I was hoping to use more of the storage on the SD card for actual books and such. In general, I plan to use the NC as intended, as an e-reader. I don't have major issues with the software and so far performance for my Android on SD card has been pretty bad (haven't had/taken the time to investigate). I'd just like the option to use Android as desired by booting into that, but also have a lot of space for my books. I have a 16GB uSD, but when in the Nook boot, can only see the boot partition. Wondering if there's a way to change that so I can see more partitions or if I just need to find a way to resize that partition to make it more usable when I'm using the stock Nook ROM.

Thanks.

Moritzio
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Great build and wonderful instructions. Worked without a hitch. Thanks very much for making the Nook Color more useful.