Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question: replacing a running kernel

Tip us?

wvdschel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Question: replacing a running kernel

Hi,

From what I've gathered (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Motorola has locked down their devices by requiring you to sign any replacement kernel with a secret key. This process is enforced by their bootloading code.

We can't replace the bootloader or the kernel without this key, but we do have root access to the Defy. Would it not be possible to write a kernel module, and load it using insmod on a rooted phone? Is insmod available on Android?

This kernel module would then run in kernel mode, and should thus have access to any and all features of the processor and the entire memory space, right? Can't this be used to load a different kernel into memory, reconfigure the MMU to put it at the appropriate memory address, and then have the phone boot the new kernel?

The limited modding that has been done on the Defy and the uncertainty about upgrades down the road are the only thing that keep me from buying it..
The Following User Says Thank You to wvdschel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wvdschel
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Never mind, apparently this is what http://freemymoto.com/tiki-index.php does, so not only is it possible, it's already been done.
The Following User Says Thank You to wvdschel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]