Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,503 Members 37,302 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Android file management idea

Tip us?

ironlood
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
Default Android file management idea

I have noticed that android apps are horrible with file management. When you install an app on the phone it installs a whole new file hierarchy.
Example... when you install Meme Generator it creates a memegenerator folder within that folder it caches Favorites, Instances, Generators, and shares
when you delete the app it doesn't remove this folder or any of its contents
My idea is an app that would scan folders and mark if the folder is useless or not. Especially the unknown data folders that say something like com.fatsecret.android and have nothing but random .dat files or a .nomedia folder/file. Almost like a registry checker for a PC.

Another idea is to have an app that scans the SD card and locates all media. It would tell you how many of what type of file you have on your phone, and allow you to mass move to selected folders (Not copy or transfer but actually move th file to its new location)

im no programer but these would be great apps if they were to be developed
A Devoted Mindless Technophile
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironlood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TornadoKick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It would be really great man, unfortunately, I'm not able to develop things like this, but let me know about if it's ready.

Sent from my Boston using XDA App Slovakia

ironlood
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
Lmfao i neglected to mention I am only beginning to learn the android programming. So im in no position to even comprehend programming this ... but im researching the possibility.

Smells like WINNING from my T-959 xda premium app

DirkGently
Old
Thanks Meter 1,480
File management is very messy at the moment. Something needs to give!

theblacknight
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I agree, I've been looking for a decent file manager, but haven't found anything yet!

DirkGently
Old
Thanks Meter 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
I agree, I've been looking for a decent file manager, but haven't found anything yet!
There are quite a few but 'Astro' seems to be the most popular. Give it a try!

mobbeel
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I use Astro and i'm quite happy with it.

Dark3n
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2,168
The question would be how to determine useless folders.

ironlood
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 110

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark3n View Post
The question would be how to determine useless folders.
My initial idea was to use a system similar to a windows registry. Once the app starts for the first time it will create a database that stores folder data, which then it tries to match to an app that installed it. If the folder shows that the app that created it has been deleted it shows a red folder or has a negative mark next to it, if its still installed it shows a positive or green folder. This way you can get rid of the bad folders.

My second idea was to have an app create a drop folder for certain file types. For instance a folder like MY DOCUMENTS that has the folders MUSIC, PICTURES, AND VIDEOS. When the app starts it has you select a folder to drop a specific file type (example .MP3 files into MY DOCUMENTS/MUSIC). The all then media scans the phone and locate all matching file types and MOVES the file not COPYS.

Smells like WINNING from my T-959 xda premium app

coreyja
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Something kinda similar to what you want was introduced in FroYo. It gives each app a directory (on the SD card I don't know about onboard memory) that is automatically deleted by the system when the app is installed. Currently it has a few fairly big bugs but hopefully they will get fixed and developers will start to use it.