Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Will Anyone Buy a HTC Device If it becomes totally Unrootable

OP budco2000

24th March 2011, 04:55 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 97

341 posts
More
I have the HTC inspire 4G, and I'll be watching closely on phones i do not even own such as the thunderbolt to see if anyone is able to unlock the bootloader. Coming from a jailbroken Iphone 3GS and Iphone 4, to a rooted samsung captivate which I liked, has awesome graphics capability. 3 Months after buying the captivate the Inspire 4G was released and I had to have it. Not because its 4G, My 3G here in Tampa, Florida streamed HD videos without never having to stop to buffer, so I was satisfied with that, I average 3.8 down with almost every 3G phone I've ever owned. I bought it because of the screen size and camera flash. And I love it, I'm very impressed with my rooted Inspire, However a year from now, and I want another phone, If HTC becomes impossible to root, I'll go back to Samsung. Took 45 seconds to root my captivate and that includes downloading the one click root lol.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App
Last edited by budco2000; 24th March 2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Bad Title
24th March 2011, 05:09 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

48 posts
More
I'm not saying I agree with them locking down the bootloader given the nature and ethos of Android, but from a business standpoint it does make sense. Perhaps they decided to begin locking things down because they were getting too many warranty/support claims by people who had screwed things up by modding their devices.

Again, I'm not defending it at all. Just try looking at it from the other perspective, eh?
24th March 2011, 05:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 295

1,763 posts
The original code crunchers won't like people to mess with their software! But it's alright our great developers of XDA will breeze past any obstacles

Sent from my X10minipro using XDA App
24th March 2011, 07:08 PM   |  #4  
Flag Sacramento CA
Thanks Meter: 80

151 posts
More
from a business point of view it does make sense, specially with what angingrich says, a boycott is not gonna help because

a)either way people will still buy the phone
b)only a minority actually gets into hacking the phone like us

so there you go, that been said i don't think they will stop with the locking process, now try that on Docomo or Softbank they won't even unlock the phone even if you threat them with lawsuits....i guess business is business after all.
24th March 2011, 08:19 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 97

341 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by consegregate

The original code crunchers won't like people to mess with their software! But it's alright our great developers of XDA will breeze past any obstacles

Sent from my X10minipro using XDA App

I understand, I just feel it is my device, and I should be able to alter it the way I want. Just like the way I can on the Laptop I own. Be like getting a computer with no r/w access on your hard drive except to store multimedia.
24th March 2011, 10:28 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 123

827 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angingrich

I'm not saying I agree with them locking down the bootloader given the nature and ethos of Android, but from a business standpoint it does make sense. Perhaps they decided to begin locking things down because they were getting too many warranty/support claims by people who had screwed things up by modding their devices.

Again, I'm not defending it at all. Just try looking at it from the other perspective, eh?

I don't think support claims are the reason. Have you ever read about people bricking their HTC phones when they tried to root them? They brick their phones when they try to bypass a NAND lock or the Motorola signature check.
26th March 2011, 06:08 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

111 posts
More
Given the choice I will not buy another handset with a locked bootloader.
26th April 2011, 01:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 295

1,763 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budco2000

I understand, I just feel it is my device, and I should be able to alter it the way I want. Just like the way I can on the Laptop I own. Be like getting a computer with no r/w access on your hard drive except to store multimedia.

Mostly because r/w access to system files can eff things up more on a phone then a laptop? Safety for the average users and rooting for the more experienced who won't brick their phone and cry for warranty.
I won't buy an android phone if there's no root though! Nearly chucked my x10 mini pro because stock rom sucks.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread