Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,311 Members 48,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there a way to make the HDMI work with all videos?

Tip us?

chefdrew
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Is there a way to make the HDMI work with all videos?

Wondering if this was possible with anything besides your videos or youtube.

I thought this feature would come in handy with the HULU app.
HTC EVO 4G 2.2
Baseband-2.15.00.11.19
Kernel-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.2-cfs-nosbc-havs-more
MikFroYo 4.5
Software-3.70.651.1
PRI-1.90_003

dkdude36
Old
Thanks Meter 717

DONATE TO ME
YES there is. if you aren't rooted already do it (because an accelerated kernel makes it faster and root is just plane sexy) and download HDMwIn from the market.

OFWGKTA
Yes, i am in 9th grade. No, that does not mean you are better than me.
if you feel the need to give me some lunch money, please donate!
or just give me a thanks or two so i can look better than others...
i'm a bitch (lost that ics release date bet thing)
Email and Gtalk: dkdude36@gmail.com
The Following User Says Thank You to dkdude36 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chefdrew
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I am rooted, thanks for the info. I am downloading it now.
HTC EVO 4G 2.2
Baseband-2.15.00.11.19
Kernel-netarchy-toastmod-4.3.2-cfs-nosbc-havs-more
MikFroYo 4.5
Software-3.70.651.1
PRI-1.90_003

Wifflepig
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdude36 View Post
YES there is. if you aren't rooted already do it (because an accelerated kernel makes it faster and root is just plane sexy) and download HDMwIn from the market.
I really liked HDMwIn. Took some getting fiddling to figure it all out with the settings and the screen rotation and all - but once you do, it does a good job. Kick up the resolution in it - and go nuts playing Angry Birds on your big screen.

AbsolutZeroGI
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifflepig View Post
I really liked HDMwIn. Took some getting fiddling to figure it all out with the settings and the screen rotation and all - but once you do, it does a good job. Kick up the resolution in it - and go nuts playing Angry Birds on your big screen.
I use Sega and SNES emulators to play my old favorite games on my big screen t.v.

Never thought I'd see a Final Fantasy game on the big screen, too bad the sound still sucks (on the emulator, not the app).
Hi, you may remember me from such rolls as XDA News Writer (known formerly as PoorCollegeGuy).

Current Devices:
T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3: Rooted, Jedi ROM
Nexus 7 (2012): Rooted, CM11 Nightlies
Nexus 4: Rooted, CM11 Nightlies

hockeyfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I used my iphone to play movies in my truck through the DVD aux in using a iphone to RCA cord. Any simple way to do the same thing with the EVO? I know HDMI is digital. That's about the only thing I'll miss about the stinking Iphone. Any ideas would be helpful..

Wifflepig
Old
Thanks Meter 20
You just need the HDMwIn app and a cable. The MicroHDMI port of the EVO will also push sound. You'd probably have to look around and see what kind of converters are available for taking your HDMI into something else. Something like this, I suppose?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-C...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

drmacinyasha
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifflepig View Post
You just need the HDMwIn app and a cable. The MicroHDMI port of the EVO will also push sound. You'd probably have to look around and see what kind of converters are available for taking your HDMI into something else. Something like this, I suppose?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-VGA-C...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt
Read the reviews. That will not work. Think about it. HDMI is digital, and RCA is analog. It's like trying to plug a pair of headphones into a TOSLINK fiber port.

Sadly, digital to analog converters can range in price depending on how and what's done. I know that high-end HDMI to analog converts can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. For example, this one here is $300. And it doesn't even have any reviews, meaning nobody's really bought it yet.

Honestly, downscaling HDMI to composite is like trying to play Crysis 2 multiplayer on an Apple II over a 19kbps dialup line.
Views expressed do not represent RootzWiki or Goo.im unless explicitly declared as such.

Wifflepig
Old
Thanks Meter 20
That cable must just take the hd to the vga.

Sent from your EVO 4G. Thanks for sharing your data plan!

hockeyfreak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacinyasha View Post
Read the reviews. That will not work. Think about it. HDMI is digital, and RCA is analog. It's like trying to plug a pair of headphones into a TOSLINK fiber port.

Sadly, digital to analog converters can range in price depending on how and what's done. I know that high-end HDMI to analog converts can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. For example, this one here is $300. And it doesn't even have any reviews, meaning nobody's really bought it yet.

Honestly, downscaling HDMI to composite is like trying to play Crysis 2 multiplayer on an Apple II over a 19kbps dialup line.
Yea, I kind of figured so. Just hoping there was some option out there. I guess the simplest way would be get a mobile dvd player with a front hdmi in. haven't seen
one though.