Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,603 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Viewsonic Viewpad 7 Froyo Enhanced

Tip us?

lakehousetech
Old
(Last edited by lakehousetech; 22nd August 2011 at 05:06 PM.)
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Default [ROM] Viewsonic Viewpad 7 Froyo Enhanced

Viewpad 7a 'Enhanced' (RC1)

Viewpad 7a is a quick and dirty modification of the stock firmware from Viewsonic. This should be a decent alternative to the stock image, with improved performance and appearance.

Highlights:
- Removed the 'Welcome' logo and replaced with stock android boot animation.
- Replaced stock boot image with overclocked version: Credit goes to TJ Style @ Modaco.
- Minor framework modifications (got rid of annoying white status bar, and misc images).
- All packaged applications remain, but I will add or remove any upon request.
- Enabled hardware acceleration.

Notes:
- Firmware should work with compatible devices such as: Cherry Mobile Superion, Commtiva Linx N700, Olivepad VT-100, Spice MI700, and Camangi FM600....but I do not have these devices, so I cannot verify. As always make a backup before installing any custom firmwares.

Known Issues:
- You may receive an error from Swype upon initial use to the effect that 'it's not meant for this firmware and may be limited'. I haven't had any issues since seeing this, and have disregarded it for the time being.

- Root condition has been known to intermittently go away. Remedy this by running Super One Click again after you've flashed the ROM.

************************************************** **************************************************

I'm currently working on a Vanilla AOSP port of Gingerbread for this device, and this will be the main focus of my effort. I will try my best to answer any bug reports or requests for changes to this firmware, but won't make any promises.

As always a big thanks to everyone in the Android community that shares they're knowledge and support.

To install this firmware use ClockworkMod to flash the zip file. (I use version 2.5.1.2). Information on rooting and installing an alternative recovery partition is available here.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held liable for anything you do to your Viewpad 7 (or equivalent device). Make sure you are comfortable with recovery tools, such as ClockworkMod, before proceeding.

************************************************** **************************************************

Update (August 22nd, 2011): I've deactivated the download link until I get time to put out a better update with ITE support.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lakehousetech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harishgayatri
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If I am not wrong this device is similar to Commtiva N700/ Spice Mi-700/ Olive Pad VT-100.

Nice to hear someone taking the initiative for development on this device
HTC Touch Diamond P3490 Indian Version. Retired

Dell Streak 16GB Unlocked AT&T.

Palm Pixi Plus AT&T webOS 1.4.5

lakehousetech
Old
(Last edited by lakehousetech; 30th March 2011 at 03:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. I've attached a screenshot from the froyo firmware below if anyone is interested.

I've been using it for the past two days without any issues. I borrowed a SIM card from a friend today to test the data connectivity and call function. Both work flawlessly. The battery life isn't as good with the CPU overclocked, but it's worth it for the extra boost of performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vp7enhance.jpg
Views:	3287
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	556152  
The Following User Says Thank You to lakehousetech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

harishgayatri
Old
(Last edited by harishgayatri; 26th March 2011 at 08:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I was planning to get this device with my first salary which is few months from now

BTW, To make things easier you can use Cyanogen 7 which I think is having support for similar hardware.

harishgayatri
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Can MeeGo 1.2 be ported for this Device?

It will be releasing this April.

harishgayatri
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehousetech View Post
I've added the compatible devices I'm aware of to the first post. I may take advantage of CM scripting in the Gingerbread port. Will update when I have time. Here's a screenshot from the froyo firmware:

I've been using it for the past two days without any issues. I borrowed a SIM card from a friend today to test the data connectivity and call function. Both work flawlessly. The battery life isn't as good with the CPU overclocked, but it's worth it for the extra boost of performance.
Looks good.

But I prefer Android with its vanilla looks.

Can LCD density be used with this Tablet? does it work?

Please check that out.

The Following User Says Thank You to harishgayatri For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cyko
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Nice to see someone finally making a custom ROM for this device. Would be nice to have something like HyperDroidGBX for the HD2 using AOSP, Redux, CyanogenMod.... that's one hell of a nice piece of Gingerbread.

Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum and your ROM will be the first in it.

Cheers!
Cyko
The Following User Says Thank You to cyko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lakehousetech
Old
(Last edited by lakehousetech; 30th March 2011 at 04:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishgayatri View Post
Can MeeGo 1.2 be ported for this Device?
I don't know enough about MeeGo to comment, but I imagine it is possible...just not sure how feasible or worthwhile it would be to port it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishgayatri View Post
Can LCD density be used with this Tablet? does it work?
Yes LCD density can be modified and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyko View Post
Hopefully the Viewpad 7 will get its own sub-forum
I think if there's enough community interest XDA may create a dedicated forum for these devices. We'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to lakehousetech For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanata
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thank you for your work. On the Russian forum owners viewpad 7 Your beginnings of this work has generated enormous interest. Would you in their versions of the firmware to include more locations? Good luck in your work. Sorry for the English.
The Following User Says Thank You to sanata For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lakehousetech
Old
Thanks Meter 65

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanata View Post
Thank you for your work. On the Russian forum owners viewpad 7 Your beginnings of this work has generated enormous interest. Would you in their versions of the firmware to include more locations? Good luck in your work. Sorry for the English.
Adding a Russian keyboard and locales would not be difficult if you know of another ROM that is using them in Froyo, or perhaps someone has them on a repo somewhere?

Tags
froyo, viewpad 7