Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Gmail-recent activity notification on phone

OP archervanadin

26th March 2011, 06:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Hey guys, before I begin I want to say yes I did a search on XDA and searched around Google for about an hour and couldnt find an answer.

Im wondering if it is possible through your phone to check recent activity or if its possible to get a notice if someone is trying or has accessed your Gmail account from another computer. yes I know if you log into gmail through a browser you can scroll down and click recent activity and see all the ip address that have accessed your account. I spend about 90% of my time on my phone and rarely use a computer so having a notification on my phone would be very useful.

Thanks guys
-Archer
26th March 2011, 06:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 278

1,698 posts
More
Nope. Your only choice is a browser. However, if you use 2-step authentication and a good password, you should be safe.
26th March 2011, 06:47 PM   |  #3  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 743

4,668 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by archervanadin

Hey guys, before I begin I want to say yes I did a search on XDA and searched around Google for about an hour and couldnt find an answer.

Im wondering if it is possible through your phone to check recent activity or if its possible to get a notice if someone is trying or has accessed your Gmail account from another computer. yes I know if you log into gmail through a browser you can scroll down and click recent activity and see all the ip address that have accessed your account. I spend about 90% of my time on my phone and rarely use a computer so having a notification on my phone would be very useful.

Thanks guys
-Archer

Could you logon via the phone's browser to check recent activity like you can from a desktop's browser? I haven't heard of a capability of that nature with the exception of accounts via a corporate server. That is not to say that is does not exist. I'm just unaware of it.
26th March 2011, 07:10 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacinyasha

Nope. Your only choice is a browser. However, if you use 2-step authentication and a good password, you should be safe.

How do you enable a 2 step authentication for Gmail?
28th March 2011, 01:38 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sacramento
Thanks Meter: 278

1,698 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by archervanadin

How do you enable a 2 step authentication for Gmail?

https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig

Go there and go through the setup. Note the following:

1) When they say "lose your phone/these codes and you won't be able to access your account", THEY MEAN IT. If you lose Google Authenticator/the phone number you SMS to, your backup phone number, AND the codes they give you, you are BONED.

2) Any program or device that logs in directly to your account (Chrome Sync, Cloud Print, your phone, Trillian, PBXes, etc.) will need an application-specific password. There's instructions on how to do this, but you will not be able to retrieve said password once you have generated it and clicked the "hide password" button.

3) You will have to enter the generated code on your phone at each new browser you try to log in to your account from, both the first time, and every 30 days.
28th March 2011, 07:37 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 8

38 posts
Try this one: SignMeOut
as featured on Lifehacker "Sign Me Out Helps You Track Unauthorized Access to Your Gmail and Facebook Accounts" and Comments.

But please consider you are giving your gmail credentials out to another 3rd party app / organisation. You possibly don't improve your Gmail security but lose some of it.

Please decide yourself.

edit: Meh... first post, so I'm not allowed to give you direct links...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread