Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,971 Members 43,809 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Gmail-recent activity notification on phone

Tip us?

archervanadin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Gmail-recent activity notification on phone

Hey guys, before I begin I want to say yes I did a search on XDA and searched around Google for about an hour and couldnt find an answer.

Im wondering if it is possible through your phone to check recent activity or if its possible to get a notice if someone is trying or has accessed your Gmail account from another computer. yes I know if you log into gmail through a browser you can scroll down and click recent activity and see all the ip address that have accessed your account. I spend about 90% of my time on my phone and rarely use a computer so having a notification on my phone would be very useful.

Thanks guys
-Archer

drmacinyasha
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Nope. Your only choice is a browser. However, if you use 2-step authentication and a good password, you should be safe.
Views expressed do not represent RootzWiki or Goo.im unless explicitly declared as such.

dougjamal
Old
Thanks Meter 743

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by archervanadin View Post
Hey guys, before I begin I want to say yes I did a search on XDA and searched around Google for about an hour and couldnt find an answer.

Im wondering if it is possible through your phone to check recent activity or if its possible to get a notice if someone is trying or has accessed your Gmail account from another computer. yes I know if you log into gmail through a browser you can scroll down and click recent activity and see all the ip address that have accessed your account. I spend about 90% of my time on my phone and rarely use a computer so having a notification on my phone would be very useful.

Thanks guys
-Archer
Could you logon via the phone's browser to check recent activity like you can from a desktop's browser? I haven't heard of a capability of that nature with the exception of accounts via a corporate server. That is not to say that is does not exist. I'm just unaware of it.

archervanadin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacinyasha View Post
Nope. Your only choice is a browser. However, if you use 2-step authentication and a good password, you should be safe.
How do you enable a 2 step authentication for Gmail?

drmacinyasha
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by archervanadin View Post
How do you enable a 2 step authentication for Gmail?
https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsAuthConfig

Go there and go through the setup. Note the following:

1) When they say "lose your phone/these codes and you won't be able to access your account", THEY MEAN IT. If you lose Google Authenticator/the phone number you SMS to, your backup phone number, AND the codes they give you, you are BONED.

2) Any program or device that logs in directly to your account (Chrome Sync, Cloud Print, your phone, Trillian, PBXes, etc.) will need an application-specific password. There's instructions on how to do this, but you will not be able to retrieve said password once you have generated it and clicked the "hide password" button.

3) You will have to enter the generated code on your phone at each new browser you try to log in to your account from, both the first time, and every 30 days.
Views expressed do not represent RootzWiki or Goo.im unless explicitly declared as such.

modmatt
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Try this one: SignMeOut
as featured on Lifehacker "Sign Me Out Helps You Track Unauthorized Access to Your Gmail and Facebook Accounts" and Comments.

But please consider you are giving your gmail credentials out to another 3rd party app / organisation. You possibly don't improve your Gmail security but lose some of it.

Please decide yourself.

edit: Meh... first post, so I'm not allowed to give you direct links...