[SOLVED] Can't shut off the phone, it always turn on again

Tip us?

thiagodark
Old
(Last edited by thiagodark; 9th April 2011 at 02:48 PM.) Reason: typo
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default [SOLVED] Can't shut off the phone, it always turn on again

well, i was following a thread about it, but i guess it was deleted cause it was in wrong area...

if a fix was found please tell me! =oP

it seems to be a commom issue: when i try to turn off the phone, it just turn on again...

what i've done until now: i was running cm7 and i believed it was a rom related issue, but i'm back to uk stock (1.32.405.6) and keep it with no root (just ship s-off that remains after flash ruu), and the problem remains, just take a little longer to turn on again... BUT, when i plug it into pc by usb cable it stays off, when i unplug it turns on again...

i'm tending to believe that's a hardware issue, maybe a short in phone plug, but in this case, it is the most commom issue that i've saw...

any idea is welcome

thanks...

Edit:
Okay Folks, looks like the "fix" was found. I made a little summary for the next generation! =oP

this weird issue happened due summer time changes (don't ask why), but after March 27 the phone simply didn't stay off, if you tried, it just turned on again.

The "fix" is:

- disable automatic hour update (just in case)
- remove battery and let it out for around 10 hours, then put it back and turn on!
- Hour and date may reset (or not)
- now you can reactivate automatic hour update if you want.
- the device just stays off properly again

credits for
XL3N7 that found the problem,
Rodomar705 that found how to fix in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1014520

And everyone else that probally lost every data (like me) so many times trying find out how to solve it. =oP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thiagodark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

afilopou
Old
(Last edited by afilopou; 30th March 2011 at 08:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 493
I really dont understand why the admins deleted and not removed the thread from the development section.

What really happens: I have my dhd with cm7 around two months now and i always flashed the nightlies.I know the issue, when the phone is powered off and plug a charger reboots in cwm recovery. I never had problem just to "power off" my phone and actually did that every night before going to bed (so i know that the "power off" used to work ok) .Two days ago i flashed RC3 , power off worked ok, then nightly 32 and next morning i had the issue.When i select to "power off", without any charger or usb connected , phone just reboots.Just to remind you that if the phone is powered off and you connect it to charger then the phone goes to cwm recovery!So i tried various combinations :

1. Back to stock 1.32 (both with img file and exe file). After that flashed 3.0.0.5 and the newer version of cwm
Phone powered off correcty and the vol down+power goes to hboot.After flashing cm7 problem appears again.
2. Also had a backup and load it (nightly from 16/02/11) but still the same problem.

Please devs tell me what kind of files you need in order to help me solving the issue.
Also i see posts from guys using other custom roms and having the same problem, so i dont really understand why the admins deleted last night the thread started in development section.
You guys using customs rom just check if your power off works and if you have problem write it here and hope not to be deleted.

@thiagodark I think you have to change a little bit thread's title

cesco89
Old
Thanks Meter 0
same problem!!....i think is a bug of CWM...or there is a conflict between recovery and "idontknow"!!....

this situation is funny ... we are afraid to brick and our DHD doesn't want to turn off...

thiagodark
Old
(Last edited by thiagodark; 30th March 2011 at 11:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
well, i think my problem is a little different, cause i get this problem even after flash official ruu, i'm all stock right now and the phone keeps reboot when i try to power off. when i select "power off" with micro usb cable connected, it works okay, but when i disconnect, it power on again.

Also, sometimes when i try to power off with or without the micro usb connected, it just dies and the only way i can power on it again is by removing the battery.

suggest me a tittle and i change, as you can see, my engrish is not something i can proud myself! =oP

wjwj929658
Old
(Last edited by wjwj929658; 30th March 2011 at 11:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesco89 View Post
same problem!!....i think is a bug of CWM...or there is a conflict between recovery and "idontknow"!!....

this situation is funny ... we are afraid to brick and our DHD doesn't want to turn off...
Yes,it must a bug of CWM 3.0.2.4r1,I hope they can fix it in a few days

XL3N7
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Ok, I think I have found the problem.

Go to settings --> Date & Time, untick the option to use network values and set the date somewhere before the 27th of March when the daylight changes took place. Reboot and power off. The phone should stay off (at least it did for me). Now power on, go to date & time settings and tick the option to use network times. Power off and it will probably come back on.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to XL3N7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nobnut
Old
Thanks Meter 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL3N7 View Post

Go to settings --> Date & Time, untick the option to use network values and set the date somewhere before the 27th of March when the daylight changes took place. Reboot and power off. The phone should stay off (at least it did for me). Now power on, go to date & time settings and tick the option to use network times. Power off and it will probably come back on.
Confirmed.

Never, ever conform
IOHWIRI

thiagodark
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:

WTF?!?! Worked here!

it doesn't make ANY sense for me!

and by the way: i don't even know what you mean by "daylight changes took place" =o)

wjwj929658
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

But why?I think it is not the best way to fix this bug.

XL3N7
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagodark View Post
WTF?!?! Worked here!

it doesn't make ANY sense for me!

and by the way: i don't even know what you mean by "daylight changes took place" =o)
Daylight saving time