Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

SD Card reading speed fix

OP -Arturo-

31st March 2011, 10:36 AM   |  #11  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 365

1,791 posts
More
ok, OC 480, data on sd partition. micro sdhc 4gb CLASS 2. Custom rom based on Gingerbones.

2048:
Write- 5.7
Read- 23.4

128(default):
Write- 5.7
Read- 12.1

4096: (OC 550)
Write- 6.1
Read- 11.5
31st March 2011, 11:04 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 1

49 posts
hmm i tested this by just manual editing the value which resets after reboot.

4gb class2 card with no OC. sys on nand, data in partition using not so super froyo.

128:
write: 4.8 read 11.4

2048:
write 5.2 read 24.2

not sure if this improvement in read speed actually speeds up my kaiser. do you think a class 6 card would speed it up much?

not sure exactly how to implement it permanently, i tried manually adding a file but it didn't seem to work. though altering this value isn't too bad as i don't reboot often.
31st March 2011, 11:22 AM   |  #13  
Flag Porto

1,791 posts
More
There's no caching on write aparently (probably to avoid lost data).
So writes must be mostly dependent on class + SD reader/writer driver.

Acording to wikipedia:
Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
Class 4, 4 MB/s.
Class 6, 6 MB/s.
Class 10, 10 MB/s.

(this is write speed, MegaBYTE).
So... either we are getting bogus results, or our cards are a little above the quoted class.
31st March 2011, 11:36 AM   |  #14  

49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedric

There's no caching on write aparently (probably to avoid lost data).
So writes must be mostly dependent on class + SD reader/writer driver.

Acording to wikipedia:
Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
Class 4, 4 MB/s.
Class 6, 6 MB/s.
Class 10, 10 MB/s.

(this is write speed, MegaBYTE).
So... either we are getting bogus results, or our cards are a little above the quoted class.

i think the classes are minimum speeds, and it seems other users are getting higher speeds than their class. how did you implement this script btw?
31st March 2011, 11:39 AM   |  #15  
Flag Porto

1,791 posts
More
Read 1st post. Follow Link. Read whole 1st post there. There's a sample script there.
You must create a file in /system/etc/init.d/ named 99something_you_chose (should begin with 99, the files are executed in order, we should have our script run last).
So... either you remount /system with read+write permissions, and put the file there, or edit the androidinstall.tar and put the file there, or a androidupdate.tar with the file there.

Or...

https://market.android.com/details?i...k.sdspeedboost
Last edited by daedric; 31st March 2011 at 03:29 PM.
1st April 2011, 03:25 PM   |  #16  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

672 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedric

Read 1st post. Follow Link. Read whole 1st post there. There's a sample script there.
You must create a file in /system/etc/init.d/ named 99something_you_chose (should begin with 99, the files are executed in order, we should have our script run last).
So... either you remount /system with read+write permissions, and put the file there, or edit the androidinstall.tar and put the file there, or a androidupdate.tar with the file there.

Or...

https://market.android.com/details?i...k.sdspeedboost

@Daiedric

Did you notice any speed improvements in data read?
1st April 2011, 04:48 PM   |  #17  
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 4

61 posts
More
Wow, class 2 4GB sdhc /system on ext4 /data on ext4, Krazy 2.6.32.9, cynMod7,
Rogue Tools OC 529

Before
write 1.8
read 9.1

After mod to 2048 with Root explorer
write 2.9
read 20.1
1st April 2011, 05:48 PM   |  #18  

49 posts
hmm, drfno1, so do you have system and data on your SD card? is your kaiser quite slow then with write speeds of 2MBbps :S

i can't decide whether to buy a higher class SD card and if that will improve my kaiser's speed.
1st April 2011, 06:28 PM   |  #19  
Flag Kansas
Thanks Meter: 4

61 posts
More
Been playing with this config only a few days with wifi only. My understanding is that the ext4 file system speed is what makes the system very usable. The only thing I find frustrating is the time it takes to boot and become stable. I say try it on your current sd first. The boost in reading seems to help starting apps and using file managers.
1st April 2011, 06:43 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

672 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfno1

Been playing with this config only a few days with wifi only. My understanding is that the ext4 file system speed is what makes the system very usable. The only thing I find frustrating is the time it takes to boot and become stable. I say try it on your current sd first. The boost in reading seems to help starting apps and using file managers.

I don't like this sd tools app at all. It gives me some ridiculous readings. I have a 6 gig class 4 card with 5 GB fat32 partition, the app shows that the size of the partition is 4,2 gb. Also I get speeds of around 1.9 writing and 4.5 reading...this can't be right. I have just tried another app and the results were as follows writing speed 5.1 and reading speed 10, this seems more like it. Unfortunately after applying the script I don't see any changes in results still around 5ws /10 rs.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread