Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,471 Members 40,830 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

EXT4 Journaling On vs. RFS (Journaling On by Default)

Tip us?

gokuman56
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84

DONATE TO ME
Default EXT4 Journaling On vs. RFS (Journaling On by Default)

Hello,
I am currently using a Rom with EXT4 and No Journaling and am experiencing Data Corruption. I want to switch to a ROM capable of Journaling. What is the difference between RFS and EXT4 with journaling on? And will EXT4 with journaling significantly impact my Phone writes so the internal drive fails faster than RFS?
Thanks

I read this article and saw that EXT2 is much more efficient for SGS Devices, why not use that instead of EXT4?
http://hkdennis2k.homeip.net/2010/11...sung-galaxy-s/

running_the_dream
Old
Thanks Meter 83
This debate raged a while ago when devs first began introducing ext4 into their roms. I can answer some of your post by saying that ext4 organizes your files much more efficiently for our flash based storage. RFS essentially treats storage like it is platter based (like a hdd). Without getting into much detail, ext4 locates and organizes data better than rfs. Ext4 is still better, even with journaling on.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right

gokuman56
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 84

DONATE TO ME
but I heard that after about a year, the drive will fail due to too many read and writes because of EXT4 with journaling on. Is that true?

mattallica76
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
but I heard that after about a year, the drive will fail due to too many read and writes because of EXT4 with journaling on. Is that true?
I'm not sure anyone really knows how long the drive will last. I'm sure it's way longer than a year. It will defiantly outlast your contract with Sprint.

running_the_dream
Old
Thanks Meter 83
It will definitely outlast your Sprint contract. And it's likely that it will not have any effect on your memory blocks at all. Noobnl had a thread a while back where users ran a test of their memory blocks. Many users that have been using ext4 for months and had flashed roms to their phones multiple times (I.e. 10x, 20x 30x). There was no increase in bad blocks at all over a few months of use. Our phones' storage operates just like a ssd on computers. Sure there will be wear but we are talking about 100k+ write cycles. I wouldn't worry at all about it.
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right