Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,924 Members 44,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide][Updated]What is HSPL, MAGLDR, cLK, and CWM, and how to install them.?

Tip us?

T-Macgnolia
Old
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by malybru View Post
Hi,
Great first post.
People should pay attention to your wise words.
+1 here I totally agree
New to XDA? Please have a read here and here, they are here to help you.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
4EXT Themes, Splash screens, and Bootanimation By T-Macgnolia
XDA-BLOG Writer
RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer for Sensation

Current daily device= Samsung Galaxy Note 2
ROM=TMOUS Stock Multi Window update not rooted
Other devices=TMOUS HTC Sensation 4G,TMOUS HTC HD2 , Acer Iconia A500

The Following User Says Thank You to T-Macgnolia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CR5N
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Nice post, brings together lots of useful info :)

T-Macgnolia
Old
(Last edited by T-Macgnolia; 3rd May 2011 at 01:55 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Smile Update

Ok guys I said I was working on adding cLK to my guide. It has takin me a little longer than I had wanted it to but I finally got it added.

I added info in post #2 about what cLK is and it's capabilities, also on how to install it. I attached a zip file at the bottom of post#2 for cLK that has Custom RUU included with it so you don't have to downlooad them separately and then combine them.

I added info in post #3 on how to install CWM using fastboot commands with cLK with links to everything you need to do it. I also added a link to Newman180's guide, it has screen shots of all the steps and is very usful.

I made a few more edits here and there to through out the whole guide. Hope this added info helps people out.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
XDA-BLOG Writer

malybru
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 10,876

DONATE TO ME
Nice.
So you've finally gone over to the other side...

Flashed from my fingers to your face

T-Macgnolia
Old
(Last edited by T-Macgnolia; 3rd May 2011 at 11:38 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Nice.
So you've finally gone over to the other side...

Yeah I finally gave completely into the Dark Side

It took me several hours and countless trying to get CWM flashed via fastboot, but Iwas not going to give up until I got it. I had like four different recovery images and the "cLK_recovery_1.3.3_3.0.1.9.img" wasthe only one I finally got to flash at like 2:30 a.m in the morning and I had started trying at like 10:00 p.m. that night, needless fo say I was

I switched over for a couple of reasons. One I wanted to be able to charge my HD2 while it is turned off. Two I didn't really like having to see MAGLDR everytime I booted jp my HD2. Three to be able to use ROM Manager. Four for the experience and knowledge gained by doing it.

I edited the title of the thread also so you might want to edit it in your sig too, I have already done so with my sig.
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
XDA-BLOG Writer

The Following User Says Thank You to T-Macgnolia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hellboyborn
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Hi T-Macgnolia

Thanks for this great guide, it has solved my all doubts regarding this big procedure. The way you put it all it made it look very easy.

Thanks alot keep up the good work.

malybru
Old
(Last edited by malybru; 4th May 2011 at 03:16 PM.)
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 10,876

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Macgnolia View Post
Yeah I finally gave completely into the Dark Side

I edited the title of the thread also so you might want to edit it in your sig too, I have already done so with my sig.
I know, and I will joining you, but I need to sit down and take it all in. Read, read, read.....
I haven't been able to sit at my PC for over a week(working).
But I will get there soon enough.

malybru
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 10,876

DONATE TO ME
Ok,
So I've read a bit ,
and the only down side to cLK is the loss of RAM for us poor EU HD2 users(576>448).
Does that mean less internal memory?or system memory?or what?

Also ,in order to install a ROM which does not support cLK(like Imilka's,my fav ),
would I still install that the old way in recovery? i.e. ad recovery>wipe data ,cache and dalvik>install from sd card?

Please advise

T-Macgnolia
Old
(Last edited by T-Macgnolia; 4th May 2011 at 09:46 PM.)
Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,886

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Ok,
So I've read a bit ,
and the only down side to cLK is the loss of RAM for us poor EU HD2 users(576>448).
Does that mean less internal memory?or system memory?or what?

Also ,in order to install a ROM which does not support cLK(like Imilka's,my fav ),
would I still install that the old way in recovery? i.e. ad recovery>wipe data ,cache and dalvik>install from sd card?

Please advise
Ok here is my run down on your two queries.

RAM stands for Random Access Memory, this means your device/computer uses this memory as space to read and write data that is to be accessed by the CPU. I do not want to plagiarize so go here and here to learn a little more about what RAM is.

Anyway what it boils down to is yes you will loss some memory by switching over but it is just memory that the CPU uses. This means your CPU has a little less memory to work with will running, but I very much doubt you will see a deference in the performance of your device. Also remember all though I have done much research on cLK (believe me I have done my homework) I have not found anything saying cLK supports the extra ram in the EU HD2's. But at the same time I have not seen anything saying does not either, so it is kinda still a question that is up in the air some what for me. I put it in my guide because I felt it needed to be pointed out somewhere. Like I said I have seen no mention of it anywhere. Maybe once you flash cLK and get CWM then a ROM on your device you can look in your Settings>About Phone and tell me what you see there, that will give some confirmation on this matter.

Yes you will install your ROM the exact same way using CWM to flash via the zip file.but when you flash your first ROM after flashing cLK and CWM you will not have to do a wipe of everything as the flashing should have removed it all, I still did a task 29 before I flashed cLK just to have a clean NAND to start with.

Flashing cLK is just like flashing a Windows Mobile ROM, MAGLDR, or any other .nbh file. Getting CWM flashed using the fastboot commands is what gave me trouble. You have to type the EXACT name of the recovery image file you are trying to flash or it will not work. Remember too if you want to stop trying to get CWM flashed you can always just reflash MAGLDR then CWM and then your ROM and have your HD2 back up and running again, and of course do a restore using a Nandroid backup.

Once you have CWM though you are good cause CWM will flash the ROM for you, as you know.

Also I attached a zip file at the bottom of this post. This is suppose to be a kernel patch to make any NAND Android ROM work with cLK if I understand what the cLK thread says about it. Go to the cLK thread (linked in my sig) and look at post #3. Just use CWM to flash the update, but use the "apply udate from sd card" to flash it though.

Hope this helps you out.

By the way I will be adding some trouble shooting tips on flashing soon also to my guide.
Attached Files
File Type: zip typhoon2.6.3_tyung_r7_clk_update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.10 MB, 20 views)
XDA Search Video
S-off explained
Guide on HTC HD2
XDA-BLOG Writer

yoyoyo109
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Wow

This guide was insanely helpful and informative. i did read through the whole thing but there were a few things i'd like to ask/talk to you about
from all of my previous looking, it seemed like everyone was saying MAGLDR is the way to go, but cLk is looking better now due to the whole charging while turned off thing.
what method of installation would you suggest?
also i'm not sure if i'm in any position to make suggestions to the guide with me being new and whatnot, but a list comparing the 2 main install methods(cLK and MAGLDR) would be fairly useful. because i still dont fully know the difference other than cLk will let you charge your device if you let the battery die completely