I've used my girlfriend Olympus camera and my Nikon camera to format my card (Centon 16GB) on a few occasions. But I have to trick the card to get it to be detected in the cameras. If I just put the card in the camera normally it doesn't detect it, but when I do the following steps it always works.
1. Hard reset (format) my phone using the 3 hardware buttons without the card in it.
2. Turn the phone off and install the sd card.
3. Hard reset (format) a 2nd time using the 3 hardware buttons, but with the card still in.
4. Turn the phone off and take out the card. Do not reboot, you must turn the phone off after the 2nd hard reset.
5. Insert the card into a camera and try a format.
Not sure why, but if I reboot after hard resetting, my camera's cannot detect or format the card. Its possible that the encryption isn't written until you reboot after a card is formatted.
Samsung Focus w/ PDA Unlimited Data Plan
Tweaked to allow HSUPA connections.