Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Not able to connect to Motorola Xoom to HD2 WiFi hotspot.

OP jlst1989

5th April 2011, 01:43 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
I love my Motorola Xoom. It is almost a perfect device, but the only thing that is destroyng my pleasure is my not being able to connect to my phone's hot stop. I have downloaded "Mobile Wi-Fi Router from the OMarket. I am able to connect to my phone through my desktop PC, but MyXoom tablet is not able to find it. Please fellow Xoomers help me fix my problem.
5th April 2011, 07:44 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

77 posts
I was having the same problem.

The old WiFi tethers broadcast in ad-hoc networks, which android can't see.

I downloaded the newest version of WiFi Tether and it can broadcast in infrastructure mode and my Xoom was able to connect to that.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wif...downloads/list

Drains the battery on my Epic pretty quick though.
5th April 2011, 08:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
I check the post but I do not see a download for a HD2. Do you know how my phone might be able to work? Thank you.
9th April 2011, 11:15 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,346

10,696 posts
Donate to Me
More
I just used the v3.0 one and it works perfectly on HD2 - no problem connecting to WiFi hotspot
9th April 2011, 08:04 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
I downloaded the app on my HD2, but the app is not compatible. Is it possible you could walk me through? Thank you.
9th April 2011, 09:16 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

10,696 posts
Donate to Me
More
IIRC I just downloaded it and side-installed the apk as one would any standard application. I think you probably need to be rooted however. What rom are you running on your HD2?
10th April 2011, 12:34 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
I am running the original 6.5 windows mobile.
10th April 2011, 10:11 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

10,696 posts
Donate to Me
More
That explains things - the application is an Android app as denoted by the .apk extension and therefore won't install on WM 6.5.

I left WM roms far behind. As soon as Cotulla released his magldr and the first NAND Android rom (31/12/10) I've never used another WM rom. Just flash your HD2 to a NANDroid rom and problem solved. If you want to stick with WM though you will have to look for another solution that runs on WM.

I'm not sure that there are any WM WiFi solutions that use infrastructure mode as it seems they only work in ad-hoc mode. If you don't want to flash your phone then you will need to get the Xoom to recognise an ad-hoc connection. I have seen some posts on this forum of people trying to do this but AFAIK they haven't succeeded yet.
Last edited by ClydeB1; 10th April 2011 at 10:24 AM.
11th April 2011, 05:00 AM   |  #9  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 12

48 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeB1

That explains things - the application is an Android app as denoted by the .apk extension and therefore won't install on WM 6.5.

I left WM roms far behind. As soon as Cotulla released his magldr and the first NAND Android rom (31/12/10) I've never used another WM rom. Just flash your HD2 to a NANDroid rom and problem solved. If you want to stick with WM though you will have to look for another solution that runs on WM.

I'm not sure that there are any WM WiFi solutions that use infrastructure mode as it seems they only work in ad-hoc mode. If you don't want to flash your phone then you will need to get the Xoom to recognise an ad-hoc connection. I have seen some posts on this forum of people trying to do this but AFAIK they haven't succeeded yet.

Same here. I bounced back and forth between WinMo and Android on my HD2 during the SD card months, but when Magldr came out I went green and never looked back. Still, while I was in WinMo I looked and looked for a ROM that could do infrastructure mode (for my PS3, Wii, etc.) and had no success. It has to be enabled at the driver-level, and it looks like the newer Android drivers for the wifi chip in the HD2 support infrastructure mode and the old WinMo drivers don't. To make matters more depressing, the drivers aren't open source (as far as I can find) they're only distributed as binary modules, so we can't easily tweak the driver to enable the mode in WinMo.
Short answer, while nothing is impossible - this may as well be. Welcome to Cyanogen Mod 7, my friend.
12th April 2011, 03:58 AM   |  #10  

1 posts
Unhappy [Q] xoom can't connect hd2 wifi hotsopt
My hd2 system is android 2.3 with WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.0-pre12. xoom could find it but when i cilck connect. xoom always show obtainting ip adrress.
Why?
Who knows how to solve this problem?
Thanks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
hd2, honeycomb, leo, wifi router, xoom, xoom connect hd2 hotspot
Previous Thread Next Thread