Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 42,916 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Boot into fastboot - find out if bootloader is locked

Tip us?

Meister_Li
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default [GUIDE] Boot into fastboot - find out if bootloader is locked

Heya, I figured I'd show you how to find out if the boot loader is locked. After some toying around and reading around in the Xperia Arc forums, I figured it out myself.

To try this, make sure you have fastboot installed. It's part of the Android SDK so if you don't have it, install it. Alternatively, it's also included in the application PDANet

Hold the search-key on your xperia play and connect the USB cable. The LED should switch on in blue. If you computer complaints that it can't find drivers for the device install the "Android Bootloader Interface" Driver that you can also download with the Android SDK.

Now type in "fastboot devices". If you can see a Hexanumeric code there, like in my screenshot, the boot loader is unlockable.

fastboot oem unlock sadly doesn't work. That would've been the day. :P Still, it seems it expects a code and no code is "0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" Maybe someone clever can find out how to calculate an unlock code from the Imei? :P Anyway, have fun with that for now.

neptune
Old
Thanks Meter 13
looks promising

XPERIA PLAY - UNBRANDED

Techdread
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister_Li View Post
Heya, I figured I'd show you how to find out if the boot loader is locked. After some toying around and reading around in the Xperia Arc forums, I figured it out myself.

To try this, make sure you have fastboot installed. It's part of the Android SDK so if you don't have it, install it. Alternatively, it's also included in the application PDANet

Hold the search-key on your xperia play and connect the USB cable. The LED should switch on in blue. If you computer complaints that it can't find drivers for the device install the "Android Bootloader Interface" Driver that you can also download with the Android SDK.

Now type in "fastboot devices". If you can see a Hexanumeric code there, like in my screenshot, the boot loader is unlockable.

fastboot oem unlock sadly doesn't work. That would've been the day. :P Still, it seems it expects a code and no code is "0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" Maybe someone clever can find out how to calculate an unlock code from the Imei? :P Anyway, have fun with that for now.

I get the same
LG PAD 8.3
-----------------------------------------
Nexus 4

Meister_Li
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
That is to be expected. We'll have to wait for Sony Ericsson to help us unlock the Boot Loader eventually.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meister_Li For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TDMaster
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
That is to be expected. We'll have to wait for Sony Ericsson to help us unlock the Boot Loader eventually.
Question is : is Sony going to help to unlock the Boot Loader snice they know it could lose them money ?

Meister_Li
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDMaster View Post
Question is : is Sony going to help to unlock the Boot Loader snice they know it could lose them money ?
They announced that they'll only do this for non-simlocked devices.

I don't know how exactly it'll cost them money tho, if some people use a custom OS on their phone?

RacecarBMW
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
They announced that they'll only do this for non-simlocked devices.

I don't know how exactly it'll cost them money tho, if some people use a custom OS on their phone?
It will cost them money because when they abandon the phone the developed community will keep it alive. Meaning no one will buy the next phone.

^^^ Kind of exaggerated.

Where did it say only for non-simlocked? Where can I buy a non-simlocked xperia play?
Xperia Play > Motorola Razr > Galaxy S II > Xperia T > Galaxy S III > Galaxy Note II > Galaxy Note III

Need a Dropbox account? Use this link. thanks

Meister_Li
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
I bought mine at gum Mobile and they said it's only for sim-unlocked phones on their blog entry.

TDMaster
Old
Thanks Meter 10
with Bootloader unlock comes Custom Roms that will eventually create Jailbreak for the phone.. of crouse sony will lose money (or really in this case they will make more money cause more ppl will buy the phone) as the PS3

Meister_Li
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
All right. How will that make sony loose money? What can you do with a rooted phone that you can't do with a normal one that'll cost them money?