Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,591 Members 36,428 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can you pass some knowledge?

Tip us?

vegandroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default [Q] Can you pass some knowledge?

im new to the android community and im looking to learn how to perform certain tasks such a development. i am keen on picking things up fast, diving in and just learning from trial and error. im hoping some of you guys can shed some light on what are some things i should start out with. ive come a long way in picking things up because before the thunderbolt came out i was unaware of how to root, abd, roms and kernels. since ive owned it, i have rooted manually and put my tb through many flashes. id like to work up and just get a good sense of how to tweak app and mod certain features to make them more useful to me. so if you have any tips, tricks or just knowledge to drop, id love to know where i should begin so i can one day be a contributor to this site and its users. thanks

nerozehl
Old
Thanks Meter 95

DONATE TO ME
I'm a C/C++/Java programmer and I'm currently working on some applications myself, and I have found that the general discussion under Android development on XDA has been very helpful. Lots of threads there with nuggets of info.
Phone: HTC Thunderbolt
ROM: CyanogenMod 7.1RC1.4 (2.3.3)
Kernel: nerozehl's dreamKernel-2.5.x-beta-AOSP
Baseband: 0.01.69.0625r

<Follow me on twitter.com/nerozehl | github | Donations> - If I helped, click Thanks!

vegandroid
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
im going to school for programming and computer science. i havent really been able to go into to much depth with it so this is my attempt to go above and beyond so i will have a little something to bring to the table when i go to class. i want to be able to know to how to do something while understanding how im doing it and what makes it do it. im new to all of this and hope within the next month i can bring something for all of you guys to critique so i can go back to the drawing board and do something better.

droidgrfx
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Can anyone help with creating custom skins for apps/widgets it is something i have always wanted to get into

RogerPodacter
Old
Thanks Meter 396
check out APK manager, it lets you get into apk's and make some edits and changes to XML files and layouts, etc. but not all of the source code can be extracted from apk's once compiled, just the way it is. but still allows for mods nonetheless!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695701
Past projects
Github
My N1 Battery Project

Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: stock rooted
Recovery: CWM Touch
Tags
beef jerky, dev, headbanging, learning, thunderbold