Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,571 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Over the air updates

Tip us?

Trevlo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Over the air updates

I'm sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but I searched and nothing came up. When you root your phone does that mean you no longer can receive over the air updates? Or is that only if you have custom ROM's installed? That being said, is the ROM that you install to gain root access considered a custom ROM? Sorry... I feel like a n00b but I had to ask. :] Thanks

McLabia
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlo View Post
I'm sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but I searched and nothing came up. When you root your phone does that mean you no longer can receive over the air updates? Or is that only if you have custom ROM's installed? That being said, is the ROM that you install to gain root access considered a custom ROM? Sorry... I feel like a n00b but I had to ask. :] Thanks
Originally Posted by WormDoes
http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt...questions.html

"If you're rooted and you've deleted any bloatware and you try and install the ota update it will not update successfully. You can unroot and update, but be warned a lot of the time an ota update will also correct the current exploits that were used to achieve root access. If you are rooted it's usually a good idea and easier to flash a ROM that includes the update already. The developers get a hold of the source codes a few weeks before VZW actually pushes it to your phone and you don't have to wait for jcase, unrevoked, or whomever to find a new way to root if the ota breaks root access.

Hope this helps"

I was searching the same thing earlier bro and this is the answer I found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McLabia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trevlo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Does this mean if I don't delete bloatware and just freeze it, then I can still get the updates? I read that article and I didn't see them answer whether or not getting an OTA update would take root off. Thanks for the response!

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA Premium App

Nikolai2.1
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevlo View Post
Does this mean if I don't delete bloatware and just freeze it, then I can still get the updates? I read that article and I didn't see them answer whether or not getting an OTA update would take root off. Thanks for the response!

No the point is if you root, have SU, and/or a custom recovery, the update will fail.

-HTC Thunderbolt-
Current Rom:
BAMF Sense 3.0 GB
Lean Kernel

Retired:
HTC Droid Eris
GSB 2.5

Trevlo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Good deal. Thank you for the info.

funkybside
Old
Thanks Meter 10
So if I'm reading this correctly, a corollary is that if you intend to root but haven't, its likely a good idea to do it before the OTA is pushed, or else you'll have to wait for the developers to figure out how to root the new one?

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

AngryManMLS
Old
Thanks Meter 671

DONATE TO ME
More then likely any important updates/fixes/etc will turn up in ROMs anyways.

arcolino1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default so how do you disable updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai2.1 View Post
No the point is if you root, have SU, and/or a custom recovery, the update will fail.

so how do you disable updates I have a galaxy s2 4g service sprint I ve been searching around how to disable updates I keep getting prompt for one and it wont install root blocking it from installing I guess I just want to turn it of I read use bloat ware or titanum backup tried both same issue. I thought this would be an easy fix.

cujo6801
Old
Thanks Meter 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcolino1 View Post
so how do you disable updates I have a galaxy s2 4g service sprint I ve been searching around how to disable updates I keep getting prompt for one and it wont install root blocking it from installing I guess I just want to turn it of I read use bloat ware or titanum backup tried both same issue. I thought this would be an easy fix.
try this it works
only difference for you will be lines 4 and 5
look for your current ro.build.fingerprint and change it to the current update...
oh and also don't forget to delete the update from your cache

If you are comfortable editing the build.prop then follow these directions.

Directions:
1. Use root explorer and navigate to /system
2. Mount as r/w
3. Long press on build.prop then click on Open With then Text Editor
4. Find the line ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FP1:user/release-keys
5. Change FP1 or FP5 in that line to FP8
6. Press the menu button on the phone and click on Save and Exit
7. Mount back to r/o
8. Reboot phone
SENT FROM THE DOG POUND

arcolino1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo6801 View Post
try this it works
only difference for you will be lines 4 and 5
look for your current ro.build.fingerprint and change it to the current update...
oh and also don't forget to delete the update from your cache

If you are comfortable editing the build.prop then follow these directions.

Directions:
1. Use root explorer and navigate to /system
2. Mount as r/w
3. Long press on build.prop then click on Open With then Text Editor
4. Find the line ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/SCH-I510/SCH-I510:2.3.6/GINGERBREAD/FP1:user/release-keys
5. Change FP1 or FP5 in that line to FP8
6. Press the menu button on the phone and click on Save and Exit
7. Mount back to r/o
8. Reboot phone
I attached the file for more info.
mine reads:
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/SPH-D710/SPH-D710:4.0.4/IMM76I/FI27:user/release-keys

do I change the FI to something else? if so this change will not brick my phone? this is my only cell connection to outside world.
the download system update that wants to install is a FL24 is it because the phone knows FI the FL will not install?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phone files.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1813051  

Tags
air, ota, over the air, root, update