Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,428 Members 47,430 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Confirmed: The SD Slot works on the Asus Transformer... still no word for Xoom

Tip us?

Vyse666
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Exclamation Confirmed: The SD Slot works on the Asus Transformer... still no word for Xoom

Another XDAer got their Asus today, and they confirmed the slot works.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=143

What's up Motorola?

keitht
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyse666 View Post
Another XDAer got their Asus today, and they confirmed the slot works.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=143

What's up Motorola?
I guess the "Google Device Experience" is out the window.

Bauxite
Old
Thanks Meter 126
My guess is Google and moto want to find a more elegant solution than mounting it inside the sdcard mount point.

I'm 100% certain someone could get the sdcard working now if we could get the kernel source with the driver.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Bauxite
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
I guess the "Google Device Experience" is out the window.
What are you talking about? This modification was very likely made by Asus, not Google. I don't see what you're getting at.

keitht
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxite View Post
What are you talking about? This modification was very likely made by Asus, not Google. I don't see what you're getting at.

I am saying that I was under the assumption that the missing microSD functionality was a Honeycomb issue to be updated by Google.

Vyse666
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxite View Post
My guess is Google and moto want to find a more elegant solution than mounting it inside the sdcard mount point.

I'm 100% certain someone could get the sdcard working now if we could get the kernel source with the driver.

The going theory is that, because Motorola piggybacked the SD Card slot onto the SIM slot, they need to wait for proprietary drivers to be ready.

Considering the WiFi-only model also has the SIM slot, I'm guessing there's some truth to this.

Bauxite
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
I am saying that I was under the assumption that the missing microSD functionality was a Honeycomb issue to be updated by Google.
The sdcard slot is just another piece of hardware that can be mounted as storage anywhere. The issue isn't mounting the storage, but where and how to integrate it so that applications can use it. Simply mounting the storage as a folder under the sdcard is frankly confusing to the average user who doesn't even have a file manager.

wynand32
Old
Thanks Meter 419
And this concerns me a bit re: Asus. If they've performed some hack to get the SD card slot to work (and notice the "if" there), then I'm not sure if they're the route I want to go. If this isn't how Google's planning on implementing SD card storage into Honeycomb going forward (again, "if"), then how will Asus realign with Honeycomb once official support is provided?

And, what else have they hacked to enable support of all their other stuff? How much should I trust Asus to know what they're doing here? How much experience does Asus have with Android to be doing things like this?

All questions that make me reconsider my thinking that I might return my Xoom in favor of the Asus...

rjoudrey
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Xoom has mapped the internal memory as an SDCard so theoretically the Xoom will need to have maping for 2 SDCards.

Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Kcarpenter
Old
Thanks Meter 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjoudrey View Post
Xoom has mapped the internal memory as an SDCard so theoretically the Xoom will need to have maping for 2 SDCards.

Could this have anything to do with the problem?
This.
I've never tried it but I am doubting that you can mount to different devices to the same point, and call them the same thing. Especially since one of them won't always be there - if it was a 'raid' it might be a little different, but I think that would be a weird way of doing things too.....
Too many moving targets.
-----------------
-HTC EVO LTE - Stock ATM
Google+: Karl Carpenter
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/kcarpenter5407
Twitter: @KCarpenter528