Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 50,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[STICKY] [FAQ] Official Atrix "Ask A Dev" & FAQ Thread (Last Update: 05/31/2011)

Tip us?
 
mbobak
Old
#121  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 19
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ririal View Post
Anyone else is also free to answer questions here
That's cool! I didn't want to take too many liberties with *your* thread. :)

Hey, BTW, Ririal, I got my sideloading enabled. I did as you suggested, and downloaded GladEnable.

As it was a .bat file and I'm a Linux guy, I used the exercise of translating from .bat to .sh as a way to pick it all apart and see what's going on. Very neat little package. I now see what you mean by that other method having way too many steps. Once you've got the sqlite3 ARM binary that can be copied to the phone, that simplifies things greatly.

So, there's actually three things you have to set in settings.db to get sideloading to work:
set install_non_market_apps = 1, that's pretty straightforward.
Then there's 'set_install_location=1'. What does that do?
And finally, there's 'force_only_market_apps = 0'. that seems like the opposite of the first one?

Note also, the manual method that I originally asked about, only sets 'install_non_market_apps'. It makes no mention of set_install_location or force_only_market_apps. I wonder if that's why it soft-bricks my phone when I do it?

Oh, also, is any of this stuff (contents of settings.db) documented anywhere?

Anyhow, thanks again.

-Mark
 
Ririal
Old
#122  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbobak View Post
That's cool! I didn't want to take too many liberties with *your* thread. :)

Hey, BTW, Ririal, I got my sideloading enabled. I did as you suggested, and downloaded GladEnable.

As it was a .bat file and I'm a Linux guy, I used the exercise of translating from .bat to .sh as a way to pick it all apart and see what's going on. Very neat little package. I now see what you mean by that other method having way too many steps. Once you've got the sqlite3 ARM binary that can be copied to the phone, that simplifies things greatly.

So, there's actually three things you have to set in settings.db to get sideloading to work:
set install_non_market_apps = 1, that's pretty straightforward.
Then there's 'set_install_location=1'. What does that do?
And finally, there's 'force_only_market_apps = 0'. that seems like the opposite of the first one?

Note also, the manual method that I originally asked about, only sets 'install_non_market_apps'. It makes no mention of set_install_location or force_only_market_apps. I wonder if that's why it soft-bricks my phone when I do it?

Oh, also, is any of this stuff (contents of settings.db) documented anywhere?

Anyhow, thanks again.

-Mark
Nah it's all good. I just didn't want it cluttered with DISCUSSIONS. If someone knows the answer, by all means

The settings do the following:
  • install_non_market_apps: This is the actual setting that allows you to sideload. If this is set to 0, you'll get the error about trusted source when installing anything non-market.
  • set_install_location: This opens up the option in the Settings -> Applications menu for choosing the preferred install location to either the internal SD, or external SD. By default, it installs to the internal SD card.
  • force_only_market_apps: This is what shows or hides the menu option for 'Unknown sources' in the Settings -> Applications menu. While it's not required that it be enabled, since we're already changing the other settings, why not turn it on?

These settings are all independent. None of them require any of the others to work. My guess is that you soft bricked because when the file was edited, you either saved it incorrectly or the permissions got screwed up somehow.

Hope this helps!
 
jimbush3
Old
#123  
jimbush3's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 94
Posts: 294
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

 
DONATE TO ME
So, as an aspiring themer:

- When replacing the common files such as framework-res, services, android.policy, etc. what needs to be done to make the theming effective on other builds (such as the French SBF)?

I've been told that P-ROMS work fine on these and replace those same files. Is there something else that needs to be edited for the themes to be more universally accepted? Thanks,
 
harryjan
Old
#124  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 16
Join Date: May 2010
Default Unrooting

Hi guys,

Unfortunately ive decided to return my Atrix (really really disappointed by the battery and the glitchiness of the current software) its running Orange's version of 4.1.31 and has been rooted with GingerBreak. Before sending it back I really need to get it back to retail configuration so does anyone know how to unroot it ect.?
 
Ririal
Old
#125  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbush3 View Post
So, as an aspiring themer:

- When replacing the common files such as framework-res, services, android.policy, etc. what needs to be done to make the theming effective on other builds (such as the French SBF)?

I've been told that P-ROMS work fine on these and replace those same files. Is there something else that needs to be edited for the themes to be more universally accepted? Thanks,
I'm actually not entirely sure. I've avoided theming so far, and don't really have a desire to get into it. I think Kennethpenn had a set of files for theme modders to use to keep everything compatible, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore.


Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjan View Post
Hi guys,

Unfortunately ive decided to return my Atrix (really really disappointed by the battery and the glitchiness of the current software) its running Orange's version of 4.1.31 and has been rooted with GingerBreak. Before sending it back I really need to get it back to retail configuration so does anyone know how to unroot it ect.?
Just do a factory reset. If all you've done is root, factory reset should take care of it for you.
 
Rubb
Old
#126  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 158
Join Date: May 2011
Hey guys
Im new here at xda-developers and I have a lot of questions about the atrix and android.
I just bought the atrix and this is my first android smartphone.
Ive read the Q & A thread and it was quite enlightening.
But I still have many questions regarding both the atrix and android. Here they are:

1. Ive SIM unlocked it and rooted it using SuperOneClick.
2. A few days ago, my atrix downloaded the new Motorola atrix updates. If I install this update, will I lose my root permission?
3. Ive read about the Roms and GingerBlur and GladiAtrix. Are they custom Roms?
4. I didnt like the looks of my atrix (the software) and after using my wifes Nexus S, I wanted something like that or just different. Is there any way to change it?
5. Is there a way to update the android version to latest release (2.3.5 I guess)?
6. Could you guys give me some tips about how to save more battery life etc?
7. Im advanced task killer and a friend told me to install watchdog lite so I could see wich apps were running in background and consuming my battery life
8. Some apps keep popping even after I killed them with the task killer. Some of them are useless for me. Is there any way to block them? And what about Motorola bloatware? I hate that blur stuff
9. Could u tell me some must have games for atrix? I already have angry birds, battleheart, 3tdk I really like tower defense games.

Thank you very much and sorry for so many questions. Ohand sorry about my English.
Thanks again
 
adroidnoob
Old
#127  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: May 2011
hey guys. I'm new to android and was after doing some reading i'm thinking about doing this - [GUIDE] Flash SBF/Root/Recovery/DeOdex -> A to Z - SBF 2.1.1 + 1080p + P.ROMS! - my question is, under supported device Canadian Atrix (OLYLA 0.37.4) is listed but not Canadian Atrix (OLYLA U4 0.37.4). Is there a difference between the two?
 
Demonfang
Old
#128  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Question webtop and the lapdock

i followed the comprehensive list in the first post here :link, making sure not to delete anything that i thought was related to the webtop and using a lapdock. today i got a lapdock, and it doesn't launch. i made sure to leave webtop connector installed. are there any specific apps i need to make it work? if so, can someone toss them in a zip for me so i can shove them in the system apps folder?

i really don't feel like going through the process of re-doing everything

any help or info is appreciated
 
Ririal
Old
#129  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubb View Post
Hey guys
Im new here at xda-developers and I have a lot of questions about the atrix and android.
I just bought the atrix and this is my first android smartphone.
Ive read the Q & A thread and it was quite enlightening.
But I still have many questions regarding both the atrix and android. Here they are:

1. Ive SIM unlocked it and rooted it using SuperOneClick.
2. A few days ago, my atrix downloaded the new Motorola atrix updates. If I install this update, will I lose my root permission?
3. Ive read about the Roms and GingerBlur and GladiAtrix. Are they custom Roms?
4. I didnt like the looks of my atrix (the software) and after using my wifes Nexus S, I wanted something like that or just different. Is there any way to change it?
5. Is there a way to update the android version to latest release (2.3.5 I guess)?
6. Could you guys give me some tips about how to save more battery life etc?
7. Im advanced task killer and a friend told me to install watchdog lite so I could see wich apps were running in background and consuming my battery life
8. Some apps keep popping even after I killed them with the task killer. Some of them are useless for me. Is there any way to block them? And what about Motorola bloatware? I hate that blur stuff…
9. Could u tell me some must have games for atrix? I already have angry birds, battleheart, 3tdk… I really like tower defense games.

Thank you very much and sorry for so many questions. Oh…and sorry about my English.
Thanks again
  1. Avoid using SuperOneClick in the future for rooting.
  2. Yes, you will. If you have any mods done past just rooting, the update will fail as well.
  3. They're pseudo-ROMs. More of a collection of tweaks and simple mods in an easy-to-install package than a real ROM.
  4. There are plenty of themes available in the Themes and Apps section.
  5. Nope. 2.2.2 is the newest version available.
  6. Run less background apps This is a tricky question because it's all about usage habits, the types of apps you run, etc. Just use your head if you want to squeeze the most out of your phone.
  7. Those kinds of apps might actually decrease battery life, so be careful. You generally don't need much past the built-in task manager app.
  8. Titanium Backup has a freeze feature that does just that.
  9. Whatever kinds of games you like. There are relatively few that are Atrix specific, and those that are, you can find in the Tegra Zone app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroidnoob View Post
hey guys. I'm new to android and was after doing some reading i'm thinking about doing this - [GUIDE] – Flash SBF/Root/Recovery/DeOdex -> A to Z - SBF 2.1.1 + 1080p + P.ROMS! - my question is, under supported device Canadian Atrix (OLYLA 0.37.4) is listed but not Canadian Atrix (OLYLA U4 0.37.4). Is there a difference between the two?
Nope, they all say U4 as far as I've seen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonfang View Post
i followed the comprehensive list in the first post here :link, making sure not to delete anything that i thought was related to the webtop and using a lapdock. today i got a lapdock, and it doesn't launch. i made sure to leave webtop connector installed. are there any specific apps i need to make it work? if so, can someone toss them in a zip for me so i can shove them in the system apps folder?

i really don't feel like going through the process of re-doing everything

any help or info is appreciated
List what you all deleted and I can tell you what you shouldn't have.
 
Ririal
Old
#130  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Updated first post with some new links and addressed newer versions.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes