Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 40,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How To Recover Your Fascinate From Any Brick, And Rooting Methods

Tip us?

thatoneguy1983
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks so much Dale! headed to work now, but will try this tonight

cbalt
Old
Thanks Meter 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn1328 View Post
I just got a fascinate.....commingle from a vibrant.....I can't find a root method that doesn't include a computer,my previous phone I downloaded update.zip went into recovery and bammo rooted then have spent the last unknown amount of time playing with the Roms and now want the same. With this phone anyone help? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA Premium App
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897889 you pretty much need a computer. z4root worked at one time iirc I used it on my fascinate at some point.

fsuagentsmith
Old
Thanks Meter 4
More reasons as to why you should never fear bricking your phone and testing new kernels and ROMs. Thank you for the thorough tutorial.

DaleV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalt View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897889 you pretty much need a computer. z4root worked at one time iirc I used it on my fascinate at some point.
I prefer what i think is a much simpler method. Just go to this link and follow Post 2. I don't believe I have ever had it so easy to root a phone:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=948722
The Following User Says Thank You to DaleV For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chronster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
nice write up, thanks for posting. I hope I never have to use it

DaleV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwalker0099 View Post
Attempted Heimdall today after odin has failed using the EB01, error was "Failed to retrieve config descriptor" any ideas?

If I flash with all CSC options unchecked the flash is successful.

When trying to boot after flash without CSC i receive a phone and a computer with a dotted line connecting the to on power up. Phone will return to DL mode.

Also attempted to flash DL01, it seems there are several files that correspond with Heim that are not in the package are the EB01 files interchangeable with the missing files?
Got that once cause i didn't install the drivers in zadig. I installed it, didn't reboot PC, worked fine. If you had the CSC unchecked then you didnt install a cache or database, so no your phone wont work like that. Unless you ran into something new, follow this guide step by step, and it should work. I would also make sure you get the files from here, they are tested and known to be good. There are some incomplete, and bad files out there, these work.

thatoneguy1983
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Heimdall is officially the greatest piece of software ever created and DaleV is my hero!!! FINALLY have my phone up and running again! Was serious contemplating dropping around $300 for a new phone on Craigslist.

Oxirane
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Trying to root a Fascinate, and it showed up in ODIN once, then the flash failed. Now it's in download mode and not showing up in ODIN, any ideas?

DaleV
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxirane View Post
Trying to root a Fascinate, and it showed up in ODIN once, then the flash failed. Now it's in download mode and not showing up in ODIN, any ideas?
after it failed did you unplug then replug and go back into download mode? also I updated the OP with a superuser.zip file it works better than the one in the market for showing you have root access, I have no idea why.

Also you might try a different usb port, sometimes that does the trick.

Oxirane
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I've unplugged and replugged and rebooted it a dozen times... it first goes to 2e recovery, then I reinstall packages and it reboots to the simplified download mode with just basic little icons. Doesn't get recognized by the computer though. :/

Wont boot into anything but 2e, and from there into oldschool download mode.

Tags
all in one recovery, bricked fascinate, heimdall, odin, root