Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 50,276 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Your opinion on zMooth
Like 205 84.71%
Don't Like 6 2.48%
Don't Need 31 12.81%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

[APP] zMooth gesture app to replace keys

Tip us?

windroidHD
Old
(Last edited by windroidHD; 12th April 2011 at 07:32 PM.) Reason: add Pro version.
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Thumbs up [APP] zMooth gesture app to replace keys

Just finished publishing zMooth gesture app in android market, it will allow you to use gestures to mimic back, home, menu and power (Pro version) hardware keys.

I wrote this app to be unobtrusive by using minimum amount of screen space but at the same time be very easy and intuitive to use. If you use for couple of days you will understand how easy it is to use.

after you install the app you will see a blue area at the bottom of the screen, swipe left on this area to go back, swipe right for menu and gesture a up-arrow(^) for home.

I highly suggest that you try using different gesture length and speed, it is very sensitive at default settings.
  • I picked the gestures which will have least conflict/collision so that when you gesture you don't have to worry that it might fire the wrong action. The aim was to make them error resistant and build user confidence in gesturing.
  • you don't have to do complete swipe or draw arrow symbol correctly, just a small quick gesture will work.
  • The swipes don't have to be perfectly horizontal, you can do them at an angle.
  • Small swipe/gesture will also work, they don't have to do be as long as they were shown in screenshots.
  • I didn't pick any complicated gestures because back, home and menu should be achievable with out giving a second thought, after couple of days the fingers should move with least effort and finger flexion and MUST be easier than pressing buttons.

Android market link

Need help or something is not working?
Support is built-in to the app, "Preferences->Help" will resolve most issues. If not resolved just contact me through "Preferences->Help->Contact Support" and I will be happy to resolve any issues. You can also use browser for FAQ / Common Issues for more info.

QR code link to both Pro and Lite version in android market app (or just search for "zmooth" in android market) :

Updates:
Please check market for updates and changes.

Sorry for the quality, I never posted videos of phone screen's before, didn't know how difficult it is to capture these screen's on video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home_gesture.jpg
Views:	36071
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	563567   Click image for larger version

Name:	default.jpg
Views:	1825
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	563597   Click image for larger version

Name:	slideinclined.jpg
Views:	16134
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	564018   Click image for larger version

Name:	preferences.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	564019  
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to windroidHD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

klusek1985
Old
(Last edited by klusek1985; 8th April 2011 at 09:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Omg! I was dreaming about app like this
This is my second HD2, and I'm a little paranoic about using screen-off and back key

Big thx.

Hmmm, I can't set Display Height below 20. If I set less than 20, turn off the app, this always back to 20 value.
Secondly, would be great to able to set position of the bar (not only the bottom).

windroidHD
Old
(Last edited by windroidHD; 8th April 2011 at 10:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
klusek1985: I personally never turn off the app so never noticed it. I set min as 20 so people don't accidentally make it too small. is 20 being too obtrusive? what lcd_density are you using?.

going to sleep will be back tomorrow sometime.

klusek1985
Old
(Last edited by klusek1985; 8th April 2011 at 10:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I use HD2, so it is WVGA. Density is 240 (NexusOne rom)
Imo 20 value is too large for me. Maybe you can unlock full spectrum of values able to set ?

I understand an option like change color of bar etc. will be avaible on future versions ?

Again, good work

whizzkid_cool
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Great job man!!! I always think pressing the back button is a very extra movement... and you just save the world!!! ha ha.... thanks man for your effort! Appreciate it. I think this app is cool...

HansiHusten
Old
(Last edited by HansiHusten; 8th April 2011 at 03:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 24
First impression is really good, I would like to see some features as:

- Ability to move the zone to anywhere on the display
- change the colour of the zone / change colour of gesture draw
- make the zone / gesture draw transparent (top priority reqeust from me )
- set the size of the "popup" box / disable bigger box?
- disable draw area if application X is running (like widgetlocker - dont need this nice app when the screen is locked) (high priority for me again )
- maybe later, add custom draws? draw a square and launch application X

If these feature will come in the future... well what should I say, that would be awesome
Really nice!

Edit: Cant find it on market yet

Edit2: Bug found:
When chaning the height I have to reenable the app otherwise I get an error "error executing gesture, please restart app"
Sometimes also happens when device gets into standby and wakes up.. (need to confirm)
Current Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Android 4.3 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel
Current Tablet: Samsung Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.2 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel
Additionally the Archos Gamepad 2 - Android 4.2.2 - Official stock rooted ROM | stock Kernel

Noteworthy Mobile history: HTC Universal | SE Xperia X1 | HTC Blackstone - Touch HD | HTC Leo - Touch HD2
Noteworthy Tablet history: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G

windroidHD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Was planning some of the features you mentioned already. Thanks for feedback. App is in market now, updated the OP.

klusek1985
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I installed from Market, and I can set 10 (size) now

xX CISSOU Xx
Old
(Last edited by xX CISSOU Xx; 8th April 2011 at 05:49 PM.) Reason: Post scriptum
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for this work, it's usefull, but i've a problem with the height, i want 10, in setting it says 10, but when i do the first gesture on my home, it come back with 50 of height, and in setting, it show me 10 ???

P.S: in green, my home would be happy

windroidHD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX CISSOU Xx View Post
Thanks for this work, it's usefull, but i've a problem with the height, i want 10, in setting it says 10, but when i do the first gesture on my home, it come back with 50 of height, and in setting, it show me 10 ???

P.S: in green, my home would be happy
I will try fixing the height issue today. (hopefully I will get some free time at work).