Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,420 Members 37,501 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rear camera blur problem. Anyone?

Tip us?

PeteFinn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Rear camera blur problem. Anyone?

This is my first post here, so first of all, hello everyone and greetings from Finland!

I bought the IS about two weeks ago. Today I took my first outdoor pics and noticed a strange phenomenon. If I focus on a distant object (typical for outdoor shots), the extreme right-hand side of the photo is quite mushy and blurred. The affected area is only about 200 pixels wide (starting from the edge) and goes all the way from top to bottom. Everything else, including the left side, is tack sharp (well, as sharp as it can be with this camera anyway). This happens with every photo, if the focusing distance is relatively long. Close-range shots (indoor pics, for example) are just fine, also the right-hand sides of the photos turn out sharp. This is very strange.

I'm a very experienced photographer, so it's not my technique. Something is wrong with the optics alignment, sensor or it could be a software issue. With optical problems the close-range shots are usually more problematic because of short depth-of-field, which makes the alignment errors much more visible.

Anyone else having similar experiences? Take an outdoor shot using a focusing distance of, let's say, 20-50 meters (or yards) and see if the right side of the image is as sharp as the left side. Make sure there's something with lots of detail near the edges of the image. I would be much less worried, if both sides of the photos were softish. After all, that would be quite typical for less-than-stellar optics found in camera phones. It's the asymmetry that bothers me.

This is actually my only gripe with this phone. Apart from this unpleasant surprise I really like the IS.

Pete

P.S. No fingerprints on the lens, it's clean!

chobie
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
There's an ongoing thread about the camera quality issue.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1021940

Nexus One > iPhone 4 > HTC G2 > HTC Incredible S > SGS2 > HTC Sensation 4G > iPhone 4S + Samsung Galaxy Note II > Samsung Galaxy S5> iPhone 5C + Nexus 5 + HTC One M8

PeteFinn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobie View Post
There's an ongoing thread about the camera quality issue.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1021940
Thanks for the tip!

I did a bit more controlled experimenting and sadly it seems that also close-distance shots suffer from the same right-hand side blurriness. If I take a photo of a completely flat surface, focusing on the center part of the viewing area, the extreme right-hand side of the photo is soft. There's nothing wrong with the left-hand side. Also, the affected area is almost 400 pixels wide (wide angle setting, no zooming). I also rotated the phone 180 degrees and took comparison shots. And...the left-hand side was blurry.

Maybe I have a bad sample. I can't exchange it for a new one, so I guess I have to live with it or have the local HTC service take a look at it. I'm not too keen on doing that.

Pete

cooljais
Old
Thanks Meter 22

DONATE TO ME
Nothing like this in mine. Photos are good. No blur at the right.

PeteFinn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljais View Post
Nothing like this in mine. Photos are good. No blur at the right.
Thanks for your comment, good to know your camera is working fine!

I'm suspecting there's dirt inside the lens assembly or on the sensor. My IS is now being serviced at the local HTC service center. I'll let you know how this turns out.

geeti
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Guess caused by auto focusing