Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 44,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Apathetic towards Viewsonic (June 2011 update)

Tip us?

roebeet
Old
(Last edited by roebeet; 22nd June 2011 at 09:24 PM.) Reason: more info
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1409
Talking Apathetic towards Viewsonic (June 2011 update)

1- OTA updater has been broken for six days, now (it started on Monday). This is completely unacceptable, given that this is the ONLY way to get updates from them officially. What if you got the item from Tiger Direct in the last week at $299, and have build 2963 on it? If you didn't go to XDA and fix this manually yourself, you'd be SOOL.

2- The last official firmware was in mid January. We are going on three months since the last stock update. We know there was a UAT that was significantly better than the one in January, but it was never released (and eventually pulled from the TapnTap servers) with a "TBD" for the new ETA.

I'm going to very blunt, and I hope that Viewsonic is reading this. I'm very disappointed in how this is all going down, ESPECIALLY given that you've had a big bump in user numbers in the last two weeks or so. You and I both know this, and yet you can't seem to get your act together, here.

I'm not your developer - you are not paying me, or XDA, to do your support work for you. And we certainly should not be the place to send users to get their stock updates - that's just ridiculous. Please get a meeting together with TapnTap, or whoever you need to, early next week and get them to fix these issues, please. If I were running the show over there, I'd have them on the phone a week ago asking for an ETA ASAP, and updating that web site with details on what's going on and when it will be fixed. Seriously, your web site still talks about the December firmware release (the one, btw, that the poor Tiger Direct users haven't been able to even get, since Monday) - are your web developers asleep over there?

If it wasn't for the user base here in XDA, my device would have probably been wiped and cleaned up right about now, and I would have put this thing up for sale. I actually know at least one dev here in XDA who's already done this. And, as time goes on, I'll be more inclined to do this if you've made the decision to completely abandon this device. Because, to be blunt, this is the perception that I'm starting to get, as the days drag on with no resolution.

I'm not asking for Honeycomb - I just want you to get your current problems fixed and at least get that 1.2 dev branch released. I know you have an account here, so maybe a reply to this thread would set all our minds at ease.

Thank you.

4/11/2011 EDIT -- agree with me and want your voice heard?

twitter: @viewsonic

contact us page: http://www.viewsonic.com/contact/

Phone Number: 866-501-6405 / 310-228-4000. (thanks snapz54 and chili_red!)

4/12/2011 EDIT -- OTA updater is still borked, as of this writing. And the next firmware update, as per their web site, is now "anticipated" in May.

4/13/2011 EDIT -- Even more details on who you can contact (thanks snapz54!): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=189 The OTA Updater is still down, but should be up tomorrow (allegedly).

4/14/2011 EDIT -- OTA updater is up, finally. Showing "3588" as the latest, so no new update (this was not a surprise).

4/15/2011 EDIT -- I think it's time to change the title of this post.

6/22/2011 EDIT -- Thread is still alive? 4349 was pulled in mid-April, still no word on an update from them 2 months later. 3588 (from January) is still technically their "latest", as per the OTA updater. I am actually beyone aggravated, I am apathetic at this point.
Android devices: ASUS Transformer, Notion Ink Adam, Cowon D3
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to roebeet For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vincentfkc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am going to return mine soon too, even at 299.99 , lack support = nth

neo4uo
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Op why did you post this in the dev section

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 - Crack Flashing Everything/Everyday
Nvidia Shield - Straight up stock and Loving it

Samsung Galaxy Tab - [BRICKED]
Motorola Droid 1 - SteelDroid [RETIRED]
HTC Evo 3D 4G - [RETIRED]
Nexus 7 -Stock - [CRACKED]
Galaxy Nexus, Droid Bionic, Samsung Fascinate, Asus Transformer TF101 - [SOLD/GONE/STOLEN]
\oo/

absorbers
Old
Thanks Meter 121

DONATE TO ME
roebeet
+1 from Russia

JimmyAviles
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roebeet View Post
1- OTA updater has been broken for six days, now (it started on Monday). This is completely unacceptable, given that this is the ONLY way to get updates from them officially. What if you got the item from Tiger Direct in the last week at $299, and have build 2963 on it? If you didn't go to XDA and fix this manually yourself, you'd be SOOL.

2- The last official firmware was in mid January. We are going on three months since the last stock update. We know there was a UAT that was significantly better than the one in January, but it was never released (and eventually pulled from the TapnTap servers) with a "TBD" for the new ETA.

I'm going to very blunt, and I hope that Viewsonic is reading this. I'm very disappointed in how this is all going down, ESPECIALLY given that you've had a big bump in user numbers in the last two weeks or so. You and I both know this, and yet you can't seem to get your act together, here.

I'm not your developer - you are not paying me, or XDA, to do your support work for you. And we certainly should not be the place to send users to get their stock updates - that's just ridiculous. Please get a meeting together with TapnTap, or whoever you need to, early next week and get them to fix these issues, please. If I were running the show over there, I'd have them on the phone a week ago asking for an ETA ASAP, and updating that web site with details on what's going on and when it will be fixed. Seriously, your web site still talks about the December firmware release - are your web developers asleep over there?

If it wasn't for the user base here in XDA, my device would have probably been wiped and cleaned up right about now, and I would have put this thing up for sale. I actually know at least one dev here in XDA who's already done this. And, as time goes on, I'll be more inclined to do this if you've made the decision to completely abandon this device. Because, to be blunt, this is the perception that I'm starting to get, as the days drag on with no resolution.

I'm not asking for Honeycomb - I just want you to get your current problems fixed and at least get that 1.2 dev branch released. I know you have an account here, so maybe a reply to this thread would set all our minds at ease.

Thank you.
This is an IMPORTANT post!! I think it should be voted to the front page. Viewsonic and for that matter all suppliers should have a commitment to their users/buyers. Our $$$$ is what support them and they should respect the user community. If they want to be selling more they should make what they have work!!!!
Please vote the post to first page, have them take note and take us seriously.
Thank you roebeet!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimmyAviles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tenet420
Old
Thanks Meter 33
roebeet
+1

Im_Gumby
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I suppose if I wanted to keep it stock I'd be mad too, but I purchased this device specifically due to the hardware specs and the decent set of developers here at XDA.
My tab was rooted as soon as the battery was fully charged.
My Moto droid was rooted about a month into ownership and is currently running a gingerbread rom Moto claims the device can't handle (so we can go buy a new one).
What I'm trying to point out is that there is little incentive for companies to spend time and money supporting equipment that is out in the field unless somehing is seriously wrong with it.
Viewsonic's decision to cripple (lack of full market, etc...) the stock device is really similar to VZ's decision to do the same to their phones (bloatware, etc...).
My advice to you is follow the simple instructions posted here and elsewhere on the net and install a custom rom (vegantab 5.1 is a very nice place to start).
It is very difficult to screw up and your device will be all it can be months if not years sooner than it would be waiting for a stock upgrade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Im_Gumby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

doctorisin
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Gumby,

Roebeet is a dev here. He's responsible for the TNT Lite and GADAM ROMs and was involved with Vegan as well. He's concerned about his ability to support us, not the performance of his tablet.

I believe the majority of modders are on TNT Lite because it is the most stable and well-supported ROM available. Viewsonic/TapnTap are making his job difficult. I'm guessing, but Viewsonic/TapnTap are probably stretched trying to deliver their next devices and have basically let GTablet development come to a screeching halt.

This is a shame and will probably cause many of us to look elsewhere for our next slate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doctorisin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

olddocwhite
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default 100 % Agree

Roebeet, thanks for bringing this up. I have been discussing this we others this past week. We were wondering exactly the same thing - Where is Viewsonic? They have not put out any updates or updated the website nor given us any information. I personally cannot understand this. They have a great product and could take the lead in the tablet market but are doing nothing.

Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention Roebeet. I am behind you 100%.
Android Devices: Asus Tranformer, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab, G-Tab, Dell Streak 7, Samsung Epic 4G, Samsung Moment, Pandigital (WPDN)
Flash junkie, Techie, and original pocket protector geek!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olddocwhite For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spx2000
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The fact it is on sale at woot and tigerdirect should be enough clues that viewsonic is moving dev resources away and probably to their next tablet product.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

The Following User Says Thank You to spx2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]