[APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v2.3 [Updated: 24-April-2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

pedrodh

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
This is the installer for the 2ndInit Recovery Mod that's been seen on the XDA community in the last days (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1026853). This application automates the process of install/uninstall this 2ndInit Recovery.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS IF ARE YOU ALREADY RUNNING CYANOGENMOD. That ROM already has bootmenu pre-installed, and you'll probably end up having to flash an SBF file to recover your phone.

NOTE: You need ROOT installed on your Defy to use this application.

Download from attachment of this post.

UPDATE: Google as suspended my developer account (in their email they seem to think that this was some kind of malware: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342343 , but they clearly misunderstood the purpose of the app) and all my apps got removed. So, please download from here on XDA.

When you reach the 2ndInit Boot Menu choose "Custom Recovery" to go to ClockworkMod Recovery.

What's this for?

* Makes it possible to load custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod :)
* Be able to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery without needing to use an app every time to boot to recovery

This app and the 2ndInit itself do not replace the stock bootloader, or the stock recovery, so it's safe to use on a daily basis.

Thanks to ksubedi and the Korean Devs that helped in making this possible, a large amount of credit goes to them. Also big thanks to Skrilax_CZ who was the first to develop the 2ndInit method on Android.

How to update

If you have previously installed this app, to update the BootMenu just install this new one, and press "Install 2ndInit Recovery", you don't need to uninstall first. You'll know that it updated correctly when you boot into BootMenu, notice the version that displays on top.

Changelog

version 2.3 (24-April-2012):

IMPORTANT NOTE : I've made this version with Defy Plus support in mind, I've tested it with 2 different stock Defy Plus and it works very well. I've not tested it with the Defy (MB525) myself but who have report it works just as well. Since many people where having problems with online install I've also made this one install everything offline, if you want the custom URL feature use the previous version instead.

* Using latest bootmenu 1.1.8 (provided by CyanogenDefy sources)
* Using latest CWM Recovery 5.0.3.1 (provided by CyanogenDefy sources)
* Cleaner UI, with colors to indicate status and bottom buttons
* Added ads via admob (since I don't use the Defy myself nowadays, this comes as an incentive for me to keep working in 2ndInit)

version 2.0 (23-November-2011):

* Using latest bootmenu 1.0.7 (provided by CyanogenDefy, special thanks to Epsyson3)
* Using new busybox static binary inside the app. Newer, smaller (which in turn made the APK smaller as well), better. Also comes from cyanogenmod.
* Pop-up layout prompting for install a bit better now, and its strings are now translatable from resources

version 1.9 (6-July-2011):

* Install from custom URL now possible
* Added translation to Russian (contributed by _ReBoot_ )
* Some smaller bugfixes

version 1.8 (1-June-2011):

* Now users are able to choose between bootmenu versions they want to install (so you can select stable 0.6.1 for installing Cyanogen, or latest 0.8.6 for other ROMs, etc)
* By consequence the APK is smaller, since bootmenu versions rest on the web
* Ability to install your own bootmenu from a given URL (for advanced users ONLY!)

* Updated to DEV version bootmenu v. 0.8.6
** fix 2nd-init (support new 2.3.3 kernel)
** add Clk4@Vsel4 (require new 2.3.3 kernel)
** Bugfixes on scripts and CWM3
* Fixed cleanup after install

version 1.7 (15-May-2011):

* Updated to bootmenu v. 0.8.3

Some people reported that they were unable to properly flash cyanogen with the last version, I've tested this one, with both Cyanogen and MIUI and it's working ok.

version 1.6 (13-May-2011):

* Added Instructions and Changelog menus
* Updated to use BootMenu v0.8.0
** add overclock. (Menu→System→Overclock)
** bugs fixes
** script fixes
** updated ClockworkMod Recovery to version 3028

version 1.5 didn't release, since 0.8.0 came out the the I was going to do so :p

version 1.4 (7-May-2011):

* Added About menu
*Updated to use BootMenu v0.6.1
** run-parts /system/bootmenu/init.d/
** add root/unroot
** add uninstall bootmenu
** add USB Mass Storage
** update busybox (v0.19)
** change menu
** fix top menu ↔ bottom menu
** bugfixes

version 1.3 (17-April-2011):

*Updated to use BootMenu v0.5.1
** Bug Fixes
** Few Changes In UI (Background)
** Updated All Scripts, Better Compatibility With Most ROMs
** Changed Directory Structure

* Now checks for USB debug on previous to installing (safe mechanism)
* Now re-verifies if 2ndInit Recovery is installed right after install/uninstall

version 1.2 (14-April-2011):

* Updated to use BootMenu v0.4.5
** Bug Fixes
** Changed Name Of OpenRecovery To Custom Recovery
** ADB Daemon Works Now
** Few Minor Changes...
* Now uninstall is cleaner and more consistent

Note: If you have previously installed this app, to update the BootMenu just install this new one, and press "Install 2ndInit Recovery", you don't need to uninstall first.

Note 2: for people who have installed the previous version, this uninstall just works partially, that is, it removes the bootmenu, but the logwrapper is not restored to the original one. This was the behavior of the previous version uninstall button. Since the new install backups these replaced files, people who have installed only this new version, will have a proper and cleaner uninstall. For those who installed the previous version to restore logwrapper you can restore some old nandroid, or simply flash an SBF file.

version 1.1 : first release on android market, and some improvements
version 1.0 : first release

FAQ

Q: I've flashed a new SBF file and now the blue led doesn't show up anymore.
A: You have to install and app again, and install the mod from the app again, as the flashing of that new ROM replace the BootMenu with it's own.

Q: Does the app have to be always installed?
A: No, you only install this app in order to use the Install button, and then you can uninstall the app, and the 2ndInit will persist. You'll still be able to re-install the app if you want to use the Uninstall button later for some reason.

Q: I can't flash from recovery, I get an sdcard mount error.
A: It seems to be related with phone's who are using version 2.51. To solve, try to flash any recent SBF file. If you want to do a nandroid first, check if SD Recovery works for you.

If you have suggestions or bug reports, or any other questions, please use this thread.

Attachments

• SndInitDefy_v1.3.apk
    3 MB · Views: 20,456
  • SndInitDefy_1.4_2.apk
    3.4 MB · Views: 73,491
  • SndInitDefy_1.6.apk
    3.5 MB · Views: 5,001
  • SndInitDefy_1.7.apk
    3.2 MB · Views: 26,259
  • SndInitDefy_1.8.apk
    867.1 KB · Views: 12,870
  • SndInitDefy_1.9.apk
    874.3 KB · Views: 23,706
  • SndInitDefy_2.0.apk
    487.7 KB · Views: 71,055
  • SndInitDefy_2.3.apk
    4.2 MB · Views: 200,900
  • defy_sndinit_2.3.jpg
    defy_sndinit_2.3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 16,500
Last edited:

pedrodh

Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
I've not tested on Eclair ROMs, so I can't know for sure, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on Eclair. If you know how to flash .sbf files go ahead and test, you can recover the phone later if it doesn't boot, or just wait for someone with eclair to test and report.

pedrodh

Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
In my tests it worked with just rebooting 1 time, but since the original hack on which this is based upon says to reboot 2 times, I prefer to play safe and tell people to reboot 2 times as well. Notice that you just need to reboot 2 times on the install, isn't that hard to do, since you just do that install 1 time for each ROM you have. Better safe than sorry right? ;)

sunoldman

Jan 20, 2011
You're right. In fact, I can enter the menu in the first boot after installing. Another issue, after uninstall the recovery, I find the blue light still up every boot, the menu can still be entered in except saying missing some files. Is there a process of restoring the original "bootmenu, logwrapper, logwrapper.bin"?

pedrodh

Oct 19, 2009
www.pedronveloso.com
Wow those claims seem to be pretty adventurous has anyone been successful in running a custom kernal with this app?

Yes, Quarx is working on CM7 for the Defy, and has already been able to boot it, here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12832992&postcount=74

So, in my point of view, being able to load a custom kernel is relevant.

---

@sunoldman

Yes, the uninstall just removes parts of the menu right now. In the next version I'll backup those files to be able to do a cleaner and proper uninstall. However, the people who have installed this version will not have those backups. There's two solutions, I provide the files (since they don't change that much from ROM to ROM) or they flash an SDB.

Reactions: marhensa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the installer for the 2ndInit Recovery Mod that's been seen on the XDA community in the last days (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1026853). This application automates the process of install/uninstall this 2ndInit Recovery.

DO NOT INSTALL THIS IF ARE YOU ALREADY RUNNING CYANOGENMOD. That ROM already has bootmenu pre-installed, and you'll probably end up having to flash an SBF file to recover your phone.

NOTE: You need ROOT installed on your Defy to use this application.

Download from attachment of this post.

UPDATE: Google as suspended my developer account (in their email they seem to think that this was some kind of malware: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1342343 , but they clearly misunderstood the purpose of the app) and all my apps got removed. So, please download from here on XDA.

When you reach the 2ndInit Boot Menu choose "Custom Recovery" to go to ClockworkMod Recovery.

What's this for?

* Makes it possible to load custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod :)
    * Be able to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery without needing to use an app every time to boot to recovery

This app and the 2ndInit itself do not replace the stock bootloader, or the stock recovery, so it's safe to use on a daily basis.

Thanks to ksubedi and the Korean Devs that helped in making this possible, a large amount of credit goes to them. Also big thanks to Skrilax_CZ who was the first to develop the 2ndInit method on Android.

How to update

If you have previously installed this app, to update the BootMenu just install this new one, and press "Install 2ndInit Recovery", you don't need to uninstall first. You'll know that it updated correctly when you boot into BootMenu, notice the version that displays on top.

Changelog

IMPORTANT NOTE : I've made this version with Defy Plus support in mind, I've tested it with 2 different stock Defy Plus and it works very well. I've not tested it with the Defy (MB525) myself but who have report it works just as well. Since many people where having problems with online install I've also made this one install everything offline, if you want the custom URL feature use the previous version instead.

* Added ads via admob (since I don't use the Defy myself nowadays, this comes as an incentive for me to keep working in 2ndInit)

* Using latest bootmenu 1.0.7 (provided by CyanogenDefy, special thanks to Epsyson3)
    * Using new busybox static binary inside the app. Newer, smaller (which in turn made the APK smaller as well), better. Also comes from cyanogenmod.
    * Pop-up layout prompting for install a bit better now, and its strings are now translatable from resources

version 1.9 (6-July-2011):

* Install from custom URL now possible
    * Added translation to Russian (contributed by _ReBoot_ )
    * Some smaller bugfixes

version 1.8 (1-June-2011):

* Now users are able to choose between bootmenu versions they want to install (so you can select stable 0.6.1 for installing Cyanogen, or latest 0.8.6 for other ROMs, etc)
    * By consequence the APK is smaller, since bootmenu versions rest on the web
    * Ability to install your own bootmenu from a given URL (for advanced users ONLY!)

* Updated to DEV version bootmenu v. 0.8.6
    ** fix 2nd-init (support new 2.3.3 kernel)
    ** add Clk4@Vsel4 (require new 2.3.3 kernel)
    * Fixed cleanup after install

version 1.7 (15-May-2011):

* Updated to bootmenu v. 0.8.3

Some people reported that they were unable to properly flash cyanogen with the last version, I've tested this one, with both Cyanogen and MIUI and it's working ok.

version 1.6 (13-May-2011):

* Added Instructions and Changelog menus
    * Updated to use BootMenu v0.8.0
    ** add overclock. (Menu→System→Overclock)
    ** bugs fixes
    ** script fixes
    ** updated ClockworkMod Recovery to version 3028

version 1.5 didn't release, since 0.8.0 came out the the I was going to do so :p

version 1.4 (7-May-2011):

* Added About menu
    *Updated to use BootMenu v0.6.1
    ** run-parts /system/bootmenu/init.d/
    ** add root/unroot
    ** add uninstall bootmenu
    ** add USB Mass Storage
    ** update busybox (v0.19)
    ** change menu
    ** fix top menu ↔ bottom menu
    ** bugfixes

version 1.3 (17-April-2011):

*Updated to use BootMenu v0.5.1
    ** Bug Fixes
    ** Few Changes In UI (Background)
    ** Updated All Scripts, Better Compatibility With Most ROMs
    ** Changed Directory Structure

* Now checks for USB debug on previous to installing (safe mechanism)
    * Now re-verifies if 2ndInit Recovery is installed right after install/uninstall

version 1.2 (14-April-2011):

* Updated to use BootMenu v0.4.5
    ** Bug Fixes
    ** Changed Name Of OpenRecovery To Custom Recovery
    ** ADB Daemon Works Now
    ** Few Minor Changes...
    * Now uninstall is cleaner and more consistent

Note: If you have previously installed this app, to update the BootMenu just install this new one, and press "Install 2ndInit Recovery", you don't need to uninstall first.

Note 2: for people who have installed the previous version, this uninstall just works partially, that is, it removes the bootmenu, but the logwrapper is not restored to the original one. This was the behavior of the previous version uninstall button. Since the new install backups these replaced files, people who have installed only this new version, will have a proper and cleaner uninstall. For those who installed the previous version to restore logwrapper you can restore some old nandroid, or simply flash an SBF file.

version 1.1 : first release on android market, and some improvements
    version 1.0 : first release

FAQ

Q: I've flashed a new SBF file and now the blue led doesn't show up anymore.
    A: You have to install and app again, and install the mod from the app again, as the flashing of that new ROM replace the BootMenu with it's own.

Q: Does the app have to be always installed?
    A: No, you only install this app in order to use the Install button, and then you can uninstall the app, and the 2ndInit will persist. You'll still be able to re-install the app if you want to use the Uninstall button later for some reason.

Q: I can't flash from recovery, I get an sdcard mount error.
    A: It seems to be related with phone's who are using version 2.51. To solve, try to flash any recent SBF file. If you want to do a nandroid first, check if SD Recovery works for you.

If you have suggestions or bug reports, or any other questions, please use this thread.
    There. I've updated and tested the app. This new version uses version 0.5.1 of the 2ndInit MOD now.
    Updated the tool. Quick changelog:

To all people that has Defy Plus and Online Install problems, I've just posted a new version. Check the first post for the download in the attachments.

Here are the changes for this specific version:

IMPORTANT NOTE : I've made this version with Defy Plus support in mind, I've tested it with 2 different stock Defy Plus and it works very well. I've not tested it with the Defy (MB525) but it *should just work* as well, if someone test please let me know. Since many people where having problems with online install I've also made this one install everything offline, if you want the custom URL feature use the previous version instead.

Updated the tool.

Now you can install bootmenu 0.6.1 or the lastest version from the same APK, this is done by fetching the bootmenu from a webserver (that's why the app now requests web access). You'll also be able to provide a custom URL for using your own custom bootmenu.. I'm still working on that so not functional right now, but will soon be ;)

Hope you all enjoy, also people downloading from the Android Market will have no troubles with installing cyanogen anymore ;)