5,593,401 Members 36,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ZIP][CM7] Nook Color SDcard and emmc swap!

Tip us?

WobbleTheHutt
Old
(Last edited by WobbleTheHutt; 21st April 2011 at 03:56 PM.) Reason: thanks to Cali^Gal for the edit! I suck at writing Herp a-derp!
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Talking [ZIP][CM7] Nook Color SDcard and emmc swap!

Ok after many hours tonight I have managed to put together a couple .zip files that will install a modified vold.fstab on your Nook Color. (I am a total n00b at this)

The EMMC of the Nook Color has a partition for the ROM and a 5 GB partition that's mostly if not completely unused. Presently, there aren't any 3rd-party managers to move apps to that unused partition, so I modified the vold.fstab and am now able to use that partition for apps, files, etc.

NC.SWAP.VOLD.ZIP swaps the way the SD and EMMC directories are mounted. By swapping the mount points, and renaming EMMC to SDCARD, your apps, etc., will install to the internal storage, vs. installing to your SDCARD. Your physical SDcard is automatically mounted as "EMMC."

This also means that the music player still finds files, you can move files to "EMMC," and you can still eject the SDcard ("EMMC"), put it back in and it still shows up automatically. Now your NC won't freak out if you pull the card out without unmounting it - all of the apps are on the actual EMMC. You'd just find the SDcard under /mnt/emmc instead of /mnt/sdcard.

Because this ZIP file maps the change at an OS level, when you boot to recovery, your NC sees SD as the SDcard, so no issues occur. When you boot into your ROM, the mount points are swapped and you'll have access to the renamed "SDCARD" (5 GB) on your NC.

Use CWR 3.0.1.0 to install the .zip and check out the results with File Manager.

Thanks go out to Clark008, luciferii and Cali^Gal from #nookcolor, Loonacy and Raymondull from #Cyanogenmod, and EpicFail1236 from XDA.

Sorry if this is a bit crude, it's my first script ever. I would be happy to get any advice on how to make this better!

EDIT: I have been looking into renaming the emmc mount to say SD-External or better yet making it mount as /mnt/sdcard/sd-ext. it might be possible, ill be looking into it as soon as I can got laid up for a bit.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nc.orig.vold.zip - [Click for QR Code] (123.8 KB, 1531 views)
File Type: zip nc.swap.vold.zip - [Click for QR Code] (123.9 KB, 2406 views)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to WobbleTheHutt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jiggity Janx
Old
(Last edited by Jiggity Janx; 6th May 2011 at 08:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 322
"Because this ZIP file maps the change at an OS level, when you boot to recovery, your NC sees SD as the SDcard, so no issues occur. When you boot into your ROM, the mount points are swapped and you'll have access to the renamed "SDCARD" (5 GB) on your NC."

/\/\ That clarifies a lot compared to the brief orig post. Will likely be flashing it this weekend.

BTW, if this expands and you need this 2nd post just have a mod give it to you. Thanks again!
2 Verizon One MAX rumrunner.us s-off Galaxy Note 8.0 w/ Terok Nor 3 2 OG Nexus 7 w/ CM11

infideler
Old
Thanks Meter 3
BRILLIANT. Will be definitely testing this later today. Can't wait to run SD Tools on this

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to infideler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fr4nk1yn
Old
Thanks Meter 262
it works! interesting how it'll work out as to unmounting, flashing roms. but with emmc being useless this is fantastic.

Mikey
Old
Senior Moderator - Terror of the Trolls
Thanks Meter 943

DONATE TO ME
Thank you for the effort and time place in this mod
Code:

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus               Tablet: Google Nexus 7
ROM: PURITY JDQ39                         ROM: PURITY JDQ39
Kernel: AK Kernel Diamond ed.             Kernel: M-Kernel
Baseband: I925OUGLH1                      Bootloader: v4.18
Recovery: TWRP v2.4.3.0                   Recovery: TWRP v2.4.3.0

Clark008
Old
(Last edited by Clark008; 15th April 2011 at 01:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Yeah. The whole point of this was to utilize the 5GB internal emmc and not waste it. The next step is to mod the CWM to mount emmc as /sdcard so you can flash your zips from where you download them to (usually /mnt/sdcard/download), which in this case, goes to your emmc. But CWM will mount your external sdcard instead. For the time being, we can just put the zips we need to flash to the external sdcard, ie. /mnt/emmc.

I don't know if anyone noticed it yet, but if you usb mount after the swap, the transfer speed is kind of slow (~1.5mbps). I don't know if this is due to the emmc or that the read ahead cache needs to be tweaked.

We're open to make this even better. Feel free to comment and provide feedback.

Calla969
Old
Thanks Meter 12
This sounds like a step in the right direction, however, what I would like to see would be merging the emmc with the internal storage. What I mean is this; right now, when I go into "Storage", I see an "SD card" (8gb), "Internal Storage" (0.92gb), and "/mnt/emmc" (5gb). Why can't we combine the .93 Internal and the 5gb emmc together to make a 5.92gb Internal storage and eliminate the emmc from teh storage area? I'm sure there is a reason that I'm not aware of, but it seems that this would be the same as just about every other device. I am pretty sure the ROM is running from the emmc partition, so that has to have something to do with it, but I don't see a purpose for 3 storage places. I keep getting errors when I try to download apps and I don't even have very many installed. I have had to move most of them to the SD card to make room and some apps don't like to be installed on the SD card.

Another option would be to swap the emmc with the Internal storage. Then we'd be using the 5gb and the .92 gb would be sitting there doing nothing instead. Again, I'm sure there are reasons for this, I'm just asking to learn.

ErroneousBosch
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I agree.. ideally having the emmc mount be part of the system would be ideal.

WobbleTheHutt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calla969 View Post
This sounds like a step in the right direction, however, what I would like to see would be merging the emmc with the internal storage. What I mean is this; right now, when I go into "Storage", I see an "SD card" (8gb), "Internal Storage" (0.92gb), and "/mnt/emmc" (5gb). Why can't we combine the .93 Internal and the 5gb emmc together to make a 5.92gb Internal storage and eliminate the emmc from teh storage area? I'm sure there is a reason that I'm not aware of, but it seems that this would be the same as just about every other device. I am pretty sure the ROM is running from the emmc partition, so that has to have something to do with it, but I don't see a purpose for 3 storage places. I keep getting errors when I try to download apps and I don't even have very many installed. I have had to move most of them to the SD card to make room and some apps don't like to be installed on the SD card.

Another option would be to swap the emmc with the Internal storage. Then we'd be using the 5gb and the .92 gb would be sitting there doing nothing instead. Again, I'm sure there are reasons for this, I'm just asking to learn.
i have no idea TBH but thats far beyond my ability. really it would be nice to symlink emmc to the SD card or the other way around. the issue is that you cant symlink with fat partitions :-/

chisleu
Old
Thanks Meter 105
This is neet. I don't know enough to comment, but it looks valuble for some people.

I just use my stock emmc for music storage and let apps sit on SD w/ videos.
Asus Galaxy Pad Transformer CM10.?
Google Galaxy Nexus GSM Unlocked! CM10.2 and 100% FOSS!! Fdroid market FTW!
LG G2X - CM7 stable (backup phone)
Nook Color Encore - CM7 nightlies
Motorola Cliq - CM7 nightlies (cranked up to charge battery once a month... )