[Q] VZW East Texas GPS Outage

OP thewayne01

14th April 2011, 10:14 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas
Thanks Meter: 1

121 posts
More
I have had my TB for two days now, and I haven't been able to get a lock on GPS yet. I have tried the GPS Status trick and rooted today so I could modify the gps.conf file. None of this has helped.

What is the deal? Do I have a bad phone?

Correction:

Initially it did think I was in Florida, or in the ocean near the Panama Canal. But I have always been in east Texas...

Edit: Changed title at the request of jonakin. This discussion has been continued at the VZW forums at the link listed below.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderB...xas/m-p/530446
Last edited by thewayne01; 19th May 2011 at 03:08 PM.
14th April 2011, 10:45 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 10

136 posts
No you didnt get a bad phone, HTC has stated that they are having a problem with the GPS in the Thunderbolt, however there is not a fix for this as of yet.
14th April 2011, 10:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

121 posts
More
So why have others been able to get theirs working with these tricks?
15th April 2011, 02:00 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

49 posts
Mine works but takes forever searching for gps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App
15th April 2011, 05:23 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

248 posts
More
Mine takes much longer after flashing Das BAMF remix. It was pretty fast on stock.
15th April 2011, 03:49 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

121 posts
More
Tried it again this morning. Turned on navigation when I left for work. After a 20 minute drive, it was still searching for GPS. Most of the time it had my location off the coast of Ecuador, but would occasionally jump to my general area. I assume this happened as I switch towers or as I passed by logged APs.
15th April 2011, 04:14 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,750

9,740 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIFNOMI

Mine takes much longer after flashing Das BAMF remix. It was pretty fast on stock.

Pure coincidence.
15th April 2011, 04:15 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,750

9,740 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewayne01

Tried it again this morning. Turned on navigation when I left for work. After a 20 minute drive, it was still searching for GPS. Most of the time it had my location off the coast of Ecuador, but would occasionally jump to my general area. I assume this happened as I switch towers or as I passed by logged APs.

Turn on aGPS. While not working correctly, it will help some.
20th April 2011, 03:00 AM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Texas

121 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrynalyne

Turn on aGPS. While not working correctly, it will help some.

By turning on aGPS, do you mean allow Google location services (turning on wifi)?

I have had this enabled frmo the beginning.

I have my Thunderbolt and Nexus One sitting side by side now. In GPS Status, my N1 has 11/11 Fix/Sats. Thunderbolt has none.

Am I the only one thats has a completely non functioning GPS chip?

BTW, I am running BAMF Remix 1.5 as of today, but I have seen no improvements in GPS.
20th April 2011, 03:26 AM   |  #10  
Flag Paradise Valley, AZ
Thanks Meter: 376

1,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
Mine said, searching for gps forever. I flashed a gps file an it fixed the problem. I'll try to post where I found it later. Pm me I I don't.

EDIT

HERE IS HOW TO FIX, "SEARCHING FOR GPS." You'll have to be rooted to do this. Credit goes to: kejar31 over at XDA-Developers. Requirements: You'll have to be rooted. Download the file: ImproveGPSlock.zip on one of those pages by that user. Download Quick Boot from Android Market, then boot into recovery. Download the file: ImproveGPSlock.zip and place it on your SD card for your phone in the root folder(root folder means in no folder) Then reboot into recovery, you see the file in your sd card by clicking the "install zip from sdcard". Install that file, reboot your phone and your navigation will be working instantly. Here's the link to that page: http:// forum.xda-developers.com/ showthread.php?t=1022654&page=2

Here's the download link

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ujg6lws6k8cosj

I tried everything. From Clearing my gps cache to applications on the market. I even started up Google maps then navigation. I also used root explorer to edit a text file. Nothing worked. When I flashed this file it finally did away and is a guaranteed fix for searching for gps.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt with VirusROM AirborneTB. Xda premium
Last edited by AndroidGraphix; 20th April 2011 at 03:49 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread