Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

G2X Unlocked(SIM) on AT&T 4G

OP Lightning N1

18th April 2011, 02:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 50

265 posts
More
I know that I am not the only one looking at this phone as a way to get a great Dual Core, 4G, vanilla Android phone (unmolested by AT&T) but able to be used on the AT&T network. I have had great luck and a lot of fun with the AT&T Nexus One and I think this phone will be just a successful with the help of XDA DEV's

I wanted to start a thread here in the G2X section for people to share with other users how to's and what works with regards to using this phone on the AT&T network.

It may be to soon to get all the answers, but maybe someone is working the same answers.
Questions:

How easy will it be to obtain the SIM Unlock code from T-Mobile or LG?
I am going to buy the phone at retail, just may have to use T-Mobile for 60-90 days to get the Unlock code.

Will AT&T allow us to upgrade to 4G data plan without buying their 4G phone?
I know from researching the Atrix 4G that the AT&T data plan needed to be upgraded to a 4G plan but you could keep unlimited data.
Last edited by Lightning N1; 18th April 2011 at 02:31 AM.
18th April 2011, 02:56 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 11

170 posts
More
If I remember Tmobile's unlock policy correctly you wont have to wait. You can request the unlock code right away if you pay full retail price. Unless that's changed recently of course but I dont think it has. Good luck with it.
18th April 2011, 03:02 AM   |  #3  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 46

349 posts
More
Kind of a repeat of what is in this thread started by me (which you tried to hijack)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036129

Re-posting what I have found here:

I just got off of the phone with t-mobile customer care (1-877-453-1304). I called them because I wanted clarification on this before I purchased 2 full retail price phones.

The program is called the "Sim Subsidy Unlock Program." It is for anyone that purchases a phone for the full retail price from a corporate store or an authorized retailer and pays all of the price upfront.

You need to call customer care, explain that you purchased a phone for full price and request a "remedy request form number." They will then open this request and you then have 7 days to fax the following to the Sim Unlock Team at 1-813-353-6557 :

ATTENTION: SIM UNLOCK TEAM
Full Name
Mobile Number
Email Address
Readable Copy Of Sales Receipt

It takes 24 to 72 hours to process and they will email you instructions to unlock your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to nomisunrider For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th April 2011, 03:02 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 29

219 posts
As for at&t's 4g, there currently using hspa+ also, so if it supports their 3g, you'll have at&t "4g" as well

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App
18th April 2011, 03:37 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag SoCal
Thanks Meter: 50

265 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomisunrider

Kind of a repeat of what is in this thread started by me (which you tried to hijack)

Sorry, I don't know why they did not move that thread over to this forum. It was clearly labeled as a g2x thread.

That is great info from T-Mobile about the "Sim Subsidy Unlock Program."
18th April 2011, 03:43 AM   |  #6  
Flag buffalo,ny
Thanks Meter: 82

854 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

They will then open this request and you then have 7 days to fax the following to the Sim Unlock Team at 1-813-353-6557 :

does it have to be "faxed"? you can't email the info? thanks
18th April 2011, 05:51 AM   |  #7  
Flag NoVA
Thanks Meter: 63

1,127 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning N1

I know that I am not the only one looking at this phone as a way to get a great Dual Core, 4G, vanilla Android phone (unmolested by AT&T) but able to be used on the AT&T network. I have had great luck and a lot of fun with the AT&T Nexus One and I think this phone will be just a successful with the help of XDA DEV's

I wanted to start a thread here in the G2X section for people to share with other users how to's and what works with regards to using this phone on the AT&T network.

It may be to soon to get all the answers, but maybe someone is working the same answers.
Questions:

How easy will it be to obtain the SIM Unlock code from T-Mobile or LG?
I am going to buy the phone at retail, just may have to use T-Mobile for 60-90 days to get the Unlock code.

Will AT&T allow us to upgrade to 4G data plan without buying their 4G phone?
I know from researching the Atrix 4G that the AT&T data plan needed to be upgraded to a 4G plan but you could keep unlimited data.

Wondering the same things. Currently have the vibrant...

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
18th April 2011, 07:18 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 14

427 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehasninjas

As for at&t's 4g, there currently using hspa+ also, so if it supports their 3g, you'll have at&t "4g" as well

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Just expect to have below 3G upload speeds with AT&T.

Edit: nevermind... software vs hardware limitations. Nonetheless, screw AT&T
18th April 2011, 08:39 AM   |  #9  
USA
Thanks Meter: 299

1,676 posts
More
Quote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036129

Re-posting what I have found here:

I just got off of the phone with t-mobile customer care (1-877-453-1304). I called them because I wanted clarification on this before I purchased 2 full retail price phones.

The program is called the "Sim Subsidy Unlock Program." It is for anyone that purchases a phone for the full retail price from a corporate store or an authorized retailer and pays all of the price upfront.

You need to call customer care, explain that you purchased a phone for full price and request a "remedy request form number." They will then open this request and you then have 7 days to fax the following to the Sim Unlock Team at 1-813-353-6557 :

ATTENTION: SIM UNLOCK TEAM
Full Name
Mobile Number
Email Address
Readable Copy Of Sales Receipt

It takes 24 to 72 hours to process and they will email you instructions to unlock your phone.

That is this NORMAL procedure ...unless the phone is "exclusive" to T-Mobile. In such a case they will NOT unlock it even if you paid full retail price. This is what happened to me with their dell streak 7, I had to return it as they would not unlock it no matter what and I paid full retail for it so please triple check before you buy as I think the the G2X is exclusive to T-Mobile in the US.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App
18th April 2011, 02:58 PM   |  #10  
Flag NoVA
Thanks Meter: 63

1,127 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtech

That is this NORMAL procedure ...unless the phone is "exclusive" to T-Mobile. In such a case they will NOT unlock it even if you paid full retail price. This is what happened to me with their dell streak 7, I had to return it as they would not unlock it no matter what and I paid full retail for it so please triple check before you buy as I think the the G2X is exclusive to T-Mobile in the US.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

If this is true, are there any stores that are offering unlocks for this phone?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread