Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,517 Members 37,567 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] G2x Root via SuperOneClick

Tip us?

mhaedo
Old
(Last edited by mhaedo; 11th August 2011 at 06:22 AM.) Reason: updated for Gingerbread
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Talking [ROOT] G2x Root via SuperOneClick

UPDATE:
The SuperOneClick rooting method outlined in this thread currently only works for Android 2.2. It does not work with Gingerbread 2.3.3.

To root 2.3.3 -
1) Install CWM (ClockworkMod Recovery): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1056847
2) Flash rooted ROM of your choice. Here is a stock rooted 2.3.3 ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1179748

Here's a brief guide on how to root the T-Mobile G2x. This assumes that you already have adb installed. If you do not, a quick search will point you in the right direction

Note: I take no credit for rooting the G2x. I am not the developer of SuperOneClick, and this is a simplified version of a guide already posted by domi007 in the O2x forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953182). I am just posting a guide in the G2x forum because no one else has yet.

1) Install ADB driver: http://www.junefabrics.com/bin2/LGDriver.exe

2) Enable USB debugging on your phone (Settings->Applications->Development), and connect your phone to your computer via USB.

3) Run SuperOneClick: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

4) Choose the option "Root"

It's really that simple...enjoy

update:
jnichols959 has provided a simple solution to rooting the G2x for Mac and Linux users. We hope that keeping two separate threads will not add to forum clutter. On the contrary we think each thread will be less cluttered and therefore be more helpful to the end user.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1048309
Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 7
(Previously G2x, Nexus S, EVO, Nexus One, Cliq, and G1)
The Following 58 Users Say Thank You to mhaedo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mapin0518
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Perfect! Thanks for posting this.

(Now I just need to find a Windows machine...)
-----
Nexus 4 + Nexus 7
Previously owned: G1, Nexus One, G2x, Nexus S, HP Touchpad, Galaxy Nexus

mhaedo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapin0518 View Post
Perfect! Thanks for posting this.

(Now I just need to find a Windows machine...)
I apologize for the Windows only solution I've posted. Since I moved in with my girlfriend, Windows has weaseled it's way back into my household. However, there was a time when I wouldn't let a Windows box come within 100 yards of my place of residence.
Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 7
(Previously G2x, Nexus S, EVO, Nexus One, Cliq, and G1)

shadow666
Old
(Last edited by shadow666; 18th April 2011 at 03:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Thank you very much!

Edit: Thanks works really good!

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

mapin0518
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaedo View Post
I apologize for the Windows only solution I've posted. Since I moved in with my girlfriend, Windows has weaseled it's way back into my household. However, there was a time when I wouldn't let a Windows box come within 100 yards of my place of residence.
Ha no problem. I can just install Parallels or Fusion today. I did manage to get SuperOneClick running on my mac using Mono. However, I don't see any way to install the LG drivers executable file on the Mac, so I doubt SOC will work in this manner without those drivers... not sure if I want to risk trying it.
-----
Nexus 4 + Nexus 7

nate420
Old
Thanks Meter 236
GOOD! i wanted to know if it really worked with our phones! (without test myself)

thanks alot

NOW all i gotta do is hurry up and wait for m phone to get here (some time today.......GRRR)
If I Helped Hit The Thanks Button It's All Us Non-Developers Have
The Following User Says Thank You to nate420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thanasisc4
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Hey thanks for posting this! I currently own a G2, rooted with cm7. I'm planning on picking this beast up in-store on Wednesday and I'm already itching to root it and get a custom ROM on there.

One question though, does this method achieve a permanent root? My only experience with android thus far is the G2, which required an involved process to root. Is this phone just a lot easier to root for some reason??

And then as far as recoveries and ROM's I'm assuming those haven't been released for this phone yet, right??

mapin0518
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanasisc4 View Post
One question though, does this method achieve a permanent root? My only experience with android thus far is the G2, which required an involved process to root. Is this phone just a lot easier to root for some reason??

And then as far as recoveries and ROM's I'm assuming those haven't been released for this phone yet, right??
Yes permanent root. This G2x is not as locked down as the G2, making the process a whole lot easier. And no, no recovery yet, just stay tuned to these forums.
-----
Nexus 4 + Nexus 7

jerichoholic
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Oh god yes

mingkee
Old
Thanks Meter 246
I already have ADB driver and SOC ready and I rooted few phones through this way.
It's good to know G2x can be rooted easily.
Rooted=no more junk!

The Following User Says Thank You to mingkee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
adb, driver, g2x, root, superoneclick