[KERNEL MOD] keytimer user setting script for mkasick Epic 4G keyboard patch
After having shared this on the #epic channel, I decided to share it here... This is for kernel devs who've incorporated mkasick's sysfs keyboard patch, located here
This kernel mod and accompanying script are meant to be used in conjunction with mkasick's epic keyboard patch, and will perform the following:
1) Allow the kernel developer to easily choose the initial timer_delay value for the patch
2) Allow the end user to adjust the setting, and have it persist past boot
3) Checks user input for the setting, and not allow settings to occur that will make the keyboard unresponsive, or unusable
Instructions for kernel devs:
1) Take the script inside keytimer_initscript.sh, and add it to your custom initscript called from init.rc
Note: place after the init.d section, or theimpaler747 script will overwrite the keytimer script.
2) Place the keytimer script inside your initramfs /sbin
Instructions for users:
1) Have a kernel with this mod inside, like mine:
Note: Other kernel devs have this now, so it should come to your favorite kernel soon!
Also: If your current kernel has the mkasick sysfs keyboard patch, but not my kernel mod, you can take the keytimer script, and place it /system/xbin, and chmod 755 /system/xbin/keytimer. Without my kernel mod, the setting won't persist through a reboot, but it will give you an easy way to change the setting.
2) Open Connectbot or Android Terminal, and type su
3) type command: keytimer
it will show usage and the current value, the default is 7.
example use to change to theimpaler747 value of 5:
Accepted values are 1 through 16.
The change will be immediate, and will persist after reboot.
Hope you all like this one, enjoy it!
# keytimer script to be called by init.rc, written by DRockstar for the Epic 4G
# assumes busybox is already installed
# kernel developers may just copy script to existing custom init script
# can be adjusted by accompanied keytimer script in /sbin
# keyboard patch sysfs call 7 for snappy keyboard performance
if [ ! -f "/data/local/timer_delay" ]; then
echo 7 > /data/local/timer_delay
cat /data/local/timer_delay > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay
# keytimer shortcut script by DRockstar
echo "keytimer: shortcut for Epic 4G keyboard response time"
echo "usage: keytimer , 7 is default, 1 - 16 accepted"
echo "error: $1"
mount -t rootfs -o remount,rw / /
if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
echo "current keytimer value is $timer"
case $1 in *[!0-9]*)
error "input is not a positive number"
if [ $1 -gt 16 ]; then
error "only numbers 1 - 16 are accepted"
echo $1 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-keypad/timer_delay
echo $1 > /data/local/timer_delay
mount -t rootfs -o remount,ro / /