Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

[APP][-v1.0.1-][14/6/11]AppGrouper, a simple, catagorised app launcher for android.

OP MacDegger

19th April 2011, 03:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 28

169 posts
[OK, got some stuff done this weekend (not too much, got some family going over to a different country for a year, so they had to be ... sent off, merrily :P)]

It seems that with every mobile OS released, I hate the way you launch apps. I always end up with tons of apps and it always gets tedious to find and launch the one I want quickly.

To solve that, I've made AppGrouper. It's a quick, simple, catagorised application launcher. The idea is to pin the app to your homescreen, and launch your apps from there. It frees up all that homescreen real-estate into just one button:

You add apps by just hitting the "ADD APP" icon or long clicking on any app icon after you've added an app to a category. You can add category buttons (or rename/delete them) by long clicking on a category button.

This is version 1.0 of my first android app, so be gentle :P

Nah, just kidding: send/post everything and anything you find broken (I don't expect much to be) or would like different or to be added. Don't be shy Even if you don't like the colour :P

PS: this works great on my Desire HD, both on Froyo and Gingerbread. I'm real curious to know if it works on other devices!

--UPDATE 14/6/11--
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It really helps!

Anyway, I posted v1.0.1:
-fixed scrolling issue
-cleaned up interface (you won't notice ... much)
-code cleanup (removed some calls which were unnecessary)

Still working on:
-swipe gesture
-multi-select of apps to be added to group
-getting the app to recognize that your trying to launch the context menu when you hit an empty GridView item (Man, that's obtuse! I really don't want to write my own onTouch listener and throw away the contextmenu code )

Also, ITS IN THE MARKET!!!11!!01!
So, if you're using this (as I suspect a few of you are :P), donate me a cup of coffee for the hours I've been putting into this by buying it on the market, please! Thanks! Maybe I can take my girlfriend out to celebrate

AppGrouper Market link

And, as usual, keep the feedback coming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AppGrouperMarketQRCode.png
Views:	410
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	624565  
Attached Files
File Type: apk AppGrouper.apk - [Click for QR Code] (249.5 KB, 1174 views)
Last edited by MacDegger; 14th June 2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: update v1.0.1
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MacDegger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2011, 04:23 AM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 341

1,111 posts
More
I pmd you. Always looking to declutter the only organized thing in my life :D

Sent from my fully armed and operational epic battle station
8th June 2011, 04:50 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer

169 posts
Finally... I uploaded a draft apk to Market, so now you guys get a shot Let me know if it works for you and what changes you'd like and what advice you have!
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDegger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th June 2011, 05:47 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Mateo, CA
Thanks Meter: 80

462 posts
More
Just installed and testing it out, really like what I see so far. One issue I have found. Selecting transparent background does not stick. The next time I launch the app the background is back to default.

And a suggestion, you might want to make adding additional apps once the first one has been added more intuitive. I had to try several different options before I found I needed to long press the existing shortcut to add new one.

Great work.

EDIT - I have an Inspire running CoreDroid 6.7.
8th June 2011, 11:08 PM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer

169 posts
Ah ... uh ... Heh, the transparency thing Yeah, I should fix that. I just never use that option, so I kinda left that to v1.0.0.1

As for the shortcut adding, what would you say would be a better way of doing that? Just adding a "help" menu explaining it, add a menu option to "add shortcut", allow right clicking the free space next to the icons ... any suggestions are welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDegger For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th June 2011, 04:48 AM   |  #6  
Flag San Mateo, CA
Thanks Meter: 80

462 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDegger

Ah ... uh ... Heh, the transparency thing Yeah, I should fix that. I just never use that option, so I kinda left that to v1.0.0.1

As for the shortcut adding, what would you say would be a better way of doing that? Just adding a "help" menu explaining it, add a menu option to "add shortcut", allow right clicking the free space next to the icons ... any suggestions are welcome!

I was thinking long press anywhere in the open space (that's what I tried first) or "add shortcut" in the menu. You could do both if you want to cover all bases. I think long press should be adequate though. Maybe short press and icon to change it. I will keep testing and send anymore feedback your way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App.
9th June 2011, 05:41 AM   |  #7  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,231

14,657 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWolf1971

I was thinking long press anywhere in the open space (that's what I tried first) or "add shortcut" in the menu. You could do both if you want to cover all bases. I think long press should be adequate though. Maybe short press and icon to change it. I will keep testing and send anymore feedback your way.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App.

I agree with making it a long press to add shortcut. Running smooth on my captivate on 2.3.3
9th June 2011, 06:23 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 99

322 posts
Good work, however MIUI had folders quite a while now, alas still good work
9th June 2011, 06:50 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 315

2,007 posts
More
I already use Apps Organizer, do I have any reason to potentially switch? Just wondering how this app is unique when apps like Apps Organizer and other app categorizers have been around since nearly Android's inception.. Pardon me if I am uninformed
9th June 2011, 08:15 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 20

182 posts
Well, it's nice to have choices. Try them all and keep whichever you like best. So far I like this one just fine. Well done dev.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, application launcher, category, launcher
Previous Thread Next Thread