[How to] Make a copy of your OTA update file (for backup/testing purposes)

Search This thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,

It was brought to my attention that there really isn't a clear explanation anywhere (as far as I know) on how to capture an OTA update file once you've downloaded it (for backup and/or testing purposes of course). So I've decided to write up this brief and simple "How to guide".

1. You need a rooted device
    2. You'll need to download and install root explorer or Super Manager
    3. Go ahead and download the OTA update BUT once downloaded DO NOT INSTALL yet, hit your back button or simply tap install later.
    4. Open root explorer and navigate to the folder that says cache.
    5. You'll see the OTA update file in there tap and hold then select copy.
    6. Paste file to your external sd card (from there you'll be able to move it to your PC or where ever.
    7. Since you have now successfully made a copy of your update (purley for backup purposes of course) navigate to your settings>about phone>system update and this will bring back the option to install the update :)

Any questions or suggestions I would be more than willing to answer or make edits to the OP if anyone sees a step I skipped or missed

Thanks to DarkRyoushii for the idea
    Thanks dLo GSR for the super manager suggestion

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App
    Sorry guys, it seems I forgot a step and that file is not related to the firmware update. I need to wait again to receive the update message and do the process again.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
    if anyone gets this to work, follow this tutorial before installing ota http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041572