Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,630 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] quickgo 0.4 driving app for better navigation address entry

Tip us?

joemarshall
Old
(Last edited by joemarshall; 25th April 2011 at 09:50 AM.) Reason: update 0.4
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [APP] quickgo 0.4 driving app for better navigation address entry

In case anyone is interested, a quick app I put together which provides a large keyboard, with both numbers and letters, which lets you launch navigation to an address very quickly.

The big keyboard is great for typing addresses in while the phone is on a car dashboard.

The separate numbers are dead useful if you live somewhere like the UK, with number /letter postal codes, as you don't have to keep switching to get the number bits.

Works great from Google Car Home.

Supports launching Google Navigation or Google Maps.

Choose UK/US and French and German keyboard layouts, or set your own custom layout.

Also supports working as an input method for use with any other in car navigation application. You can use an app such as Tasker to automatically switch input method when your phone is in car mode.

I don't like posting apk files, so it is free on the market, it is called quickgo.

Any comments / bug reports etc. welcome.

Cheers,
Joe
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joemarshall For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

forceu
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Looks really great! Its now on the first slot of my Car Home However, would it be possible to add an option to change layouts? I'm normally using a German keyboard, which has the Y and Z exchanged - the Umlaute are not required as google normally doesnt need them either.
One way would be maybe to create a textfile on the SDcard with your orginal layout, so that would mean the file would consist of 37 chars, 1-0 and Q-",". If the user wants to place for example the M where the Q is he just exchanges these two chars in the file and then loads them from your app

mssmison
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 231
Super simple and easy to use and easy to see when in my mount.
Great work.

Rolandh
Old
Thanks Meter 25
A great little app, works great when not in my car mount, will report back after I've tried it in the car.

Roland

Sent from my X8 using XDA Premium App
HTC Vox running fireburneds WM6.5 Custom ROM for Vox v3.1

Apple iPod Touch Running iOS 4.2

RIM BlackBerry Pearl 8110 Running BlackBerry OS 4.5.0.187

RIM BlackBerry Curve 8520 Running BlackBerry OS 5.0.0.1036

Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 Running GingerCruzt 1.0.0 revision 5 (2.3.4)

HTC Wildfire S Running Stock HTC Gingerbread 2.3.5

Sony Xperia Arc S Running AOKP Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Build 2

Toshiba Satellite C660-15R Running Windows 8.1 Pro Preview

Nokia Lumia 9.25

britoso
Old
(Last edited by britoso; 20th April 2011 at 07:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 281

DONATE TO ME
Links:
http://www.mrl.nott.ac.uk/~jqm/blog/?p=489
http://www.appbrain.com/app/quickgo/...rshall.quickgo
https://market.android.com/details?i...rshall.quickgo

Screenshot:

Looks nice
Edit, tested it and it works great, but the system doesn't pick it up as one of the available keyboards. Is that coming soon ?
Found some info about input methods here.

I was hoping I can switch to this keyboard automatically via a 'car mode' profile (tasket/setting profiles/etc)
Software Developer (Java/J2EE)
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB -> PA 4.4.2 + XPosed
Phone: Galaxy Nexus-> OmniMetal CM11
Phone: Nexus One (killed while replacing the digitizer)-> CM10.1 AOKP Unofficial Nightlies
Tablet
: Nook Color -> CM10.1 Nightlies
Tablet
: HP Touchpad -> CM10.1 -SCHIZOID
Stick: CX-919 RK3188/2GB (4.2.2 Finless 1.6b. FHD no-OC. Antutu 16753 Quadrant 4723)

Links:
»My Apps (ancient now) [CPUStatusLED] [MoreRecent]
»My Threads
»My Posts
»Transparent widgets

epilady
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default works great

very smooth, very simple, very good.

what about an option or preference setting for the result to show up in maps instead of going straight to navigation?

joemarshall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Cheers all,

am in the process of adding French / azerty, German / quertz and user defined keyboard support. Hopefully will finish and post an update this weekend if not earlier.

Good idea about preference to launch maps, that should be dead easy to stick in, it's just a single line change to launch something different.

Britoso - right now it isn't a full input method, just a single app, optimized to be easy to see in a car, and set up so it goes directly to navigation. I just have it in place of the navigate icon in my car home. I can't really see it being much use for other things, emails, texts or whatever, as it deliberately doesn't support things like punctuation, lower case etc. in order to make most efficient use of the screen space.

britoso
Old
Thanks Meter 281

DONATE TO ME
It would make a good keyboard for almost all navigation apps Shouldn't be too much more work.
Software Developer (Java/J2EE)
Phone: Nexus 5 32GB -> PA 4.4.2 + XPosed
Phone: Galaxy Nexus-> OmniMetal CM11
Phone: Nexus One (killed while replacing the digitizer)-> CM10.1 AOKP Unofficial Nightlies
Tablet
: Nook Color -> CM10.1 Nightlies
Tablet
: HP Touchpad -> CM10.1 -SCHIZOID
Stick: CX-919 RK3188/2GB (4.2.2 Finless 1.6b. FHD no-OC. Antutu 16753 Quadrant 4723)

Links:
»My Apps (ancient now) [CPUStatusLED] [MoreRecent]
»My Threads
»My Posts
»Transparent widgets

joemarshall
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Right, the latest version (0.3) now supports German and French keyboard layouts, and also lets you set your own layout if you want something other than QWERTY / AZERTY or QWERTZ.

It also has a preference you can set to launch maps instead of launching straight into navigation.

Looking at the input method stuff it looks like it isn't super hard, like you say, it can probably use most of the same code, hopefully I'll find some time to play with that soon. It would be convenient for use with other navigation apps like CoPilot which might not support being launched with an address.

Joe

forceu
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Just perfect! Thanks!

Tags
car, driving, navigation, quickgo