Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HOW TO: fix Droid/Milestone touchscreen lack of responsiveness and Ghost Touch issues

OP bandroid842

19th April 2011, 05:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

296 posts
NOTE: THIS SOLUTION IS POTENTIALLY DAMAGING AND MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE

PROBLEM: touch screen acts erratic, notification bar keeps opening, screen appears to be touched by someone else continuously (Ghost Touch), and parts of the screen DO NOT RESPOND TO TOUCH.

MY OWN SPECIFIC CASE: I had the Ghost Touch issue for 3 days suddenly without intro, which often used to go away after a reboot or two, then phone worked normally after I removed the battery and left it in a dry area (in a closed drawer between books, no air entering, very dry atmosphere), however the RIGHT SIDE of the screen (Search button, rightmost letters [L and Delete and sometimes ENTER] do not work. If the phone is in normal landscape, you cannot open the notification bar by dragging it normally.

DIAGNOSIS: for some people, the problem is more severe. The Digitiser itself could be malfunctioning and has to be fixed, while for others it could be a true problem with the screen itself. However, for MANY OF US, it is a problem of HUMIDITY. The humidity sensors are causing the phone to act like that. Some say part of this problem happens because the way the keypad affects the phone internally as you open and close it a lot.

SOLUTIONS:

1- To be safe: send the phone to the shop. Ask them to open the phone and apply an extra layer of insulation, in case the digitiser and the screen are okay.

2- If something is faulty, replace it at the shop.

3- MY OWN SOLUTION: based on something I read many times, the solution was to apply DRY HEAT for at least 45 mins. What I did, based on averaging out many experiences I read online, was to remove the SD Card and SIM, remove battery, I heated up a toaster oven for 10 minutes, waited until the temperature was at about 60-70 degrees Celsius, SHUT DOWN THE HEAT, put the phone on its screen on a plate, screen facing down and covered by a cloth to protect it from direct contact with metal, then all inside the oven. The oven is a relatively big one, so phone was AWAY FROM A SOURCE OF DIRECT HEAT. I closed the lid, then every while 15 minutes I would heat the oven for 40 seconds to maintain the temp. This is LIKE (ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION) leaving your phone in the glove compartment of your car while its parked in a sunny spot, to find it really hot in the morning and tough to touch for a while. TO CONTINUE, after the phone was out of the oven (I can't believe I am saying this), I left the phone overnight in a dry area for 8 hours (could need less time). Then, I put everything back in, plugged it, and THE PHONE IS WORKING PERFECTLY NOW!

NOTE that solution number 3 could affect your keyboard buttons if heat is too much. It may cause the glue holding the keys to melt a bit. Be delicate with your keyboard after you restore your phone.

Again, I only did this YESTERDAY. With the exception of some keypad stickiness, the phone is working perfectly now.

I hope this was useful

B.

EDIT: Today is the First of May, phone is still working without a glitch

N.B. Press the Thank you button if you wanna congratulate me on daring to toast my milestone in the name of scientific inquiry

SECOND EDIT: Phone did it again for 2 days. Applied the same method, and it worked again. I think partially it happened because I was in a very humid location.
Last edited by bandroid842; 8th May 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Status Update
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bandroid842 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2011, 07:46 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
That didn't work for me, I had no option but to replace the touchscreen/gorila glass.
19th April 2011, 10:23 PM   |  #3  
Flag München
Thanks Meter: 5

44 posts
More
I love the idea of toasting a milestone
Thought with all my aggression against Moto, I think I just might leave it in there
Luckily I dont have these problems so I wont get tempted
19th April 2011, 11:53 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

296 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirLancer

I love the idea of toasting a milestone
Thought with all my aggression against Moto, I think I just might leave it in there
Luckily I dont have these problems so I wont get tempted

I have to admit, I cared litte whether or not this actually worked. I just wanted to toast it But it did work, so
20th April 2011, 12:32 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

157 posts
Pretty tempted to try this out, I think I will when I have free time.

My phone had the dead zone problem for 2 months now, but in some very rare cases, like when it's a very hot day, the screen will work normally for a minute or something. Then it goes back to dead part. I assume this would fix it?
20th April 2011, 03:14 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

296 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesiroth

Pretty tempted to try this out, I think I will when I have free time.

My phone had the dead zone problem for 2 months now, but in some very rare cases, like when it's a very hot day, the screen will work normally for a minute or something. Then it goes back to dead part. I assume this would fix it?

If it DOES indeed work on hot days, then it means the phone is not entirely dead. But I would suggest you do something less drastic first, such as the Glove Compartment method. No responsibility though
20th April 2011, 05:21 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 72

250 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you're trying to remove moisture, you could also try putting it in a baggie of crystaline cat litter (NOT the clay kind!) - this stuff is sold at a MUCH higher price as a way to save a phone from water damage, but it's the exact same substance. Does a great job removing moisture. It's the same sort of silica gel that's in those packets in medicine/vitamins that says "Dessicant - do not eat".
20th April 2011, 09:34 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Or you could just put it in a sealed bowl with raw rice for a couple of days... this is the best and cheapest way (and then you have the silicon "grains", the ones that you find in shoe boxes or computer parts boxes).

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
21st April 2011, 01:38 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybeRNerO

Or you could just put it in a sealed bowl with raw rice for a couple of days... this is the best and cheapest way (and then you have the silicon "grains", the ones that you find in shoe boxes or computer parts boxes).

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure that rice doesn't do anything, I don't know how that started as a suggestion, but its not better than anything else; its not known to be absorbant, but the silicon is.
1st May 2011, 12:33 PM   |  #10  
Flag Iasi
Thanks Meter: 10

116 posts
More
I've tried the method but the right segment of the digitizer still doesn't work.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ghost touch, ghosttouch, milestone, responsiveness, touchscreen
Previous Thread Next Thread