Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

MicroSD Card issues fixed after "Samsung Update"?

OP RustyGrom

20th April 2011, 07:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 26

997 posts
More
A little background... I've been back and forth on the SD card issue with my phone. With stock/7004 it would reboot occasionally and I got worried that it would brick my phone (it already bricked one on me previously) so I decided to rip the card out. I unbranded my phone and installed 7008 and decided to re-install the SD card. It seemed to be rather stable although still would spontaneously reboot occasionally (maybe a few times a week). I installed NoDo with the Hungary trick and it started rebooting much more frequently (several times per day). This time it would even do it when plugged in! Ugh. I had tried the registry hack but it didn't seem to affect anything.

Then yesterday's update came and it hasn't rebooted a single time since. It's a bit early to know for sure but it does seem like the issue is gone.

I don't think it's a coincidence that AT&T is now offering "certified" cards. The cards didn't change nor did their level of testing... Samsung just fixed the underlying problem. Microsoft has shown that even their certified cards can vary greatly; it's just a product of the manufacturing process.

I will note that that I put the registry changes back to their original state (DisablePowerManagement=1) as that is how the firmware that shipped yesterday has it set.

Anyone else care to chime in? Cautiously optimistic that these absurd SD card issues are behind us.
21st April 2011, 01:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

10 posts
I have not had a single reboot or a stutter on my music. Its been running great!

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
21st April 2011, 04:38 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

43 posts
I have also had zero issues since the latest update...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
21st April 2011, 09:04 AM   |  #4  

4 posts
I went through the same steps too. With the unbranded NoDo update, my phone restarted at least once every 30 minutes. After I applied the ATT NoDo update, I haven't had a single reboot yet. I feel confident in saying that my SanDisk c2 32gb card works now.

Leads me to wonder which other cards will work now.
21st April 2011, 04:09 PM   |  #5  

26 posts
Running a 16GB Sandisk class 4 card, about 4GB free. Before the official AT&T nodo update, my phone was restarting a couple of times per day. Post update, my phone has been up 1 day 19 hours (so far) without a restart.

File this in the "for what it's worth" department: an acquaintance of mine works on the phone 7 application team at MSFT. He told me that the MSFT LG team had made a bunch of fixes to the SD driver, but the Samsung team was on a different release schedule and was not able to pick up the fixes for the original Focus release, but rather they were picked up in the nodo release. Given my results and the results I am reading about, this makes sense.
21st April 2011, 04:54 PM   |  #6  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 20

265 posts
More
Comparing my WP BENCH storage speed before and after the samsung update, it increased by over a MB/s. I also have not noticed any stuttering or anything like that.
21st April 2011, 05:26 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
The next test would be to benchmark a non-certified card against the 8gb AT&T certified card to see if there are any noticeable speed differences...

That would be GREAT info.
21st April 2011, 05:37 PM   |  #8  
Flag Mississippi
Thanks Meter: 135

756 posts
More
I can confirm that the Transcend 16gb class 6 card still does not work after nodo. It will not even boot up after formatting the card and starting the phone.

Will you guys reply with what card you have IF the Nodo update IMPROVED your card (model, class, size and everything)
21st April 2011, 05:48 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

22 posts
I was having problems with my Kingston 16GB C4 card, and ended up having to do a hard reset without the chip to get the NoDo update. After reading a few comments here, I added the old card and did a new hard reset. Now I have the full 22GB, but the phone wasn't remembered by Zune like it was last time. On the plus side, it looks like NoDo and the firmware are now baked in so no worries about loosing these when resetting the phone.

Anyway I'll reload all my stuff which could take weeks and I'll let you know what happens.

[The Kingston 16GB C4 card was one of the more stable cards out there. I believe only the SanDisk 8GB, SanDisk 16GB and Samsung 16GB cards worked better. I have not lost any data with the Kingston card before NoDo, but it would be slow enough to prevent me from opening some programs ocationally. I would also get a random reboot every few days.]
Last edited by daniel_leavitt2000; 21st April 2011 at 11:26 PM.
21st April 2011, 06:21 PM   |  #10  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 20

265 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOA Duck

I can confirm that the Transcend 16gb class 6 card still does not work after nodo. It will not even boot up after formatting the card and starting the phone.

Will you guys reply with what card you have IF the Nodo update IMPROVED your card (model, class, size and everything)

16 GB Samsung from Nikolai on eBay. I think it's a Class 2, but I don't remember.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread