[GUIDE] Flashing Your First HD2 Clockwork Mod Android Rom [For Newbs]

Search This thread

Magic2010

Oct 26, 2010
I tried many times to install the file " NexusHD2-ICS-CM9-HWA_V2.7.zip "
but it remains on the animation window of the squares forever.......??
I have followed your the instructions in page 1
Started step 1. FLASH CLOCKWORK MOD TO YOUR DEVICE
step 2. PARTITION YOUR STORAGE CARD FOR A2SD ROMS (IF REQUIRED)
step 3. FLASHING A CWM (CLOCKWORK MOD) ROM
Any suggestions please....?
Thx

Are you using cLK or Magldr?
Did you resize system partition to the right one?

Rosch89

Jun 1, 2009
Kellyville Ridge, Sydney
Hey all, sorry if this is a noob question or if its in the wrong thread but I really do not know where to begin as it has been a while since I tinkered with my HD2. I have MAGLDR and CWM (3.x.x) installed but have the older versions. Also I am currently on GB CM7. I just took this phone out of the drawer again and decided to upgrade it but since its been a while of doing so, I have lost all knowledge as to how I did it before. I have all the tools but just not sure what to do with it all. Is there any way of checking what the current partition is set to?

I want to upgrade to the NexusHD2 ROM, if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Do I need to perform the Wipe (Task 29) and start fresh? Or can I just re-partition it with the HD2 Toolkit, update CWM and install rom from recovery? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Feel free to PM me with a reply as to avoid thread crapping.

havlaz

Aug 10, 2010
how can i enter ad recovery using adb commands ? (without using vol. buttons)

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
I have typhoon custom rom (gingerbread). How can i upgrade to jellybean rom with all my app and backup, settings intact?

You can't. At least not all of what you said.

You can backup apps using Titanium Backup, or any similar app. The same goes for messages.

But you can't backup the settings, you'll have to set up your device once you install Jelly bean.

gasanpride

Apr 27, 2008
Minnesota
I have typhoon custom rom (gingerbread). How can i upgrade to jellybean rom with all my app and backup, settings intact?
Best option is to first backup all your apps using Titanium Backup. You can download it from market. A folder will be created in your SD card fat32 partition named 'TitaniumBackup' during the backup. Once the backup is done, you may want to copy that directory into your PC in case you mess up or reformat your SD card. All your user apps data and settings are included in the backup so it is a very impt file. Then once your JB ROM is installed, restore all your apps again using the TB app. Not included in the backup are system and device settings like date, WiFi settings , ringtone etc.
To backup your SMS messages, you can use SMS backup.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide will explain how to install Clockwork Mod on your phone so you can flash CWM Roms, as well as performing other actions.

Clockwork Mod is the traditional way of flashing, updating, backing up and restoring Roms on Android Phones. Many chefs are now only providing Roms in this form so it is best to have it on your phone and know how to use it.

REQUIREMENTS BEFORE STARTING!! IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ THIS!!

1. YOU NEED HARDSPL 2.08 INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE TO FLASH MAGLDR
    2. YOU NEED A RADIO WHICH SUPPORTS 576 RAM (2.08.50 or later should be fine but the Radio NEEDS to be 2.**.50.**). I recommend the 2.15.50.14 Radio
    3. YOU NEED MAGLDR V1.13 ON YOUR DEVICE TO INSTALL CLOCKWORK MOD

THIS GUIDE ASSUMES YOU HAVE ALREADY FLASHED MAGLDR V1.13 ON YOUR PHONE. IF YOU HAVENT THEN PLEASE FOLLOW AND COMPLETE STEP 1 OF *THIS* GUIDE BEFORE CONTINUING WITH CWM.

-------------------------------------------------------

1. FLASH CLOCKWORK MOD TO YOUR DEVICE

NOTE: There are 3 CWM images attached at the bottom of this thread. You only need to install 1 of the images depending on what type of Android Rom you want to flash. The larger the size of the CWM Partition the less space there will be left for programs installed to your phone.

150MB Partition - For lite Roms without Sense such as CM7. Gives most internal space on your phone for apps
    250MB Partition - Standard size Roms or squashed Sense Roms
    400MB Partition - Full Sense Roms. Hardly any internal space for apps. 512ROM Leo's will need A2SD external partition set up

If you arent sure which size you need then check the first few posts of the Rom you want to flash as it will usually tell you which size partition it needs.

1. Download the CWM Partition you require and extract it to a new folder on your pc
    2. Connect your phone to your pc via the USB Cable
    3. Restart your phone and HOLD DOWN the 'End Button' (far right) until the Magldr Menu appears
    4. Keep pressing the 'Volume Down' button to goto Option 5. USB Flasher and press the 'Call Button' (far left) to select it
    *The screen should now say Wait USB...USB*
    5. Run DAF.exe (Right Click and Run As Administrator if you have Vista or Windows 7) in the folder you extracted the image to and follow the intructions on your pc to start flashing
    6. After flashing the phone will reboot.
    HOLD DOWN the 'End Button' (far right) until the Magldr Menu appears

To start Clockwork Mod keep pressing the 'Volume Down' button to goto Option 8. AD Recovery and press the 'Call Button' (far left) to select it

NOTE: If the Rom demands a different size CWM then you can download any of the attached sizes, then extract the contents and edit the flash.cfg file with Notepad. Change the sizes on the following lines depending on what you need:

system ya ***M (partition size)
    cache ya **M (cache size)

2. PARTITION YOUR STORAGE CARD FOR A2SD ROMS (IF REQUIRED)

NOTE1: Setting up a partition on your Storage Card will allow A2SD compatable Roms to automatically install apps to this partition rather than using your phones internal memory. This is useful for people that have alot of apps to install and for people who want to flash a Sense Rom and wont have much internal memory left.

NOTE2: Once you create an A2SD partition on your Storage Card all information will be lost so make sure to backup everything to your pc so it can be copied back after. The accessible space on your Storage Card will be made smaller by the amount of the partition you set up so only make it as big as you need make it huge if you dont have many apps to install)

1. Boot into the Clockwork Mod menu
    2. Go down to 'Advanced' and select (by pressing 'Call Button')
    3. Select 'Partition SD Card'
    4. Select Size of required partition not sure then 1024M is a good size)
    5. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you want to continue and then select 0M Swap Size

Your Storage Card will now be partitioned with the size you selected.
    ALL DATA ON YOUR STORAGE CARD WILL BE LOST!!

3. FLASHING A CWM (CLOCKWORK MOD) ROM

1. Connect your phone to your pc via the USB Cable
    2. In the Clockwork Mod main menu select 'wipe data/factory reset' and then 'Yes' on the next screen
    3. When the data wipe is complete, select 'install zip from sd card' in the main menu
    4. Go down to 'choose zip from sdcard' and select
    5. Scroll down to your CWM Rom (which you should have copied to the Root of your Storage Card) and select it
    6. Select 'Yes' from the options and wait until you get a message saying 'Install from sdcard complete'
    Note: You can repeat steps 3-5 if you have more zips to install such as gps data or screen mods
    7. Once finished press the 'Back' button to get to the previous menu screen
    8. Select 'reboot system now' to restart your phone and your Android Rom should boot
    9. Once Android has booted and you have gone through the setup screens, LONG PRESS the 'End' button and select reboot to reboot your phone to avoid possible FC (Force Close) problems

NOTE: The first boot of your Rom will take alot longer than subsequent boots so leave it and give it time (15 minutes max)

4. UPDATING AN EXISTING CWM (CLOCKWORK MOD) ROM

2. In the Clockwork Mod main menu select 'install zip from sd card'
    3. Go down to 'choose zip from sdcard' and select
    4. Scroll down to your CWM Rom update (which you should have copied to the Root of your Storage Card) and select it
    5. Select 'Yes' from the options and wait until you get a message saying 'Install from sdcard complete'
    6. Once finished press the 'Back' button to get to the previous menu screen
    7. Select 'wipe cache partition' and then 'Yes' on the next screen
    8. Select 'Advanced', Select 'Wipe Dalvik Cache' and then 'Yes' on the next screen
    9. Select 'Fix Permissions' and wait for it to complete
    10. Once completed press the 'Back' button and then select 'reboot system now'
    11. After the phone boots into Android you will probably get alot of 'Force Close' messages. Pull the battery, plug it back in and press the 'Power' button to boot up and everything should work fine

USEFUL INFORMATION

HOW TO ENTER THE CLOCKWORK MOD MENU SCREEN
    1. Restart your phone and HOLD DOWN the 'End' button (far right) until the Magldr Menu appears
    2. keep pressing the 'Volume Down' button to goto Option 8. AD Recovery and press the 'Call' button (far left) to select it

HOW TO COPY FILES TO YOUR PHONE
    NOTE: This can be used to copy music or data across to your Storage Card and for copying your CWM Rom (with .zip extension) to the Root of your Card for flashing

2. In the Clockwork Mod main menu select 'mounts and storage'
    3. Go down to 'mount USB storage' and select
    Note: The Storage Card will now appear as a drive on your pc
    4. When finished copying files select 'Unmount'

HOW TO BACKUP THE CURRENT ROM ON YOUR PHONE
    NOTE1: This can be used to make a complete backup of your Rom, installed apps and all settings. You can then try a different Rom and restore your backup at a later date if required.
    NOTE2: Multiple backups can be made as they are stored in seperate folders (named by date and time)

2. In the Clockwork Mod main menu select 'backup and restore'
    3. Select 'backup'
    Note: Your entire Rom and all associated data will now be saved to your Storage Card. You can rename this folder at a later date if you wish

HOW TO RESTORE A BACKUP TO YOUR PHONE
    2. In the Clockwork Mod main menu select 'wipe data/factory reset' and then 'Yes' on the next screen
    3. When the data wipe is complete, select 'backup and restore' in the main menu
    4. Select 'restore'
    5. Select the backup folder you wish to restore and then 'Yes' on the next screen
    Your entire Rom and all associated data will now be restored from your Storage Card

NOTE: You can also restore parts of the backup by selecting 'Advanced Restore', selecting the backup and then choosing which part of the backup you want to restore (boot, system, data, cache or sd-ext)

To SCROLL through the Menu Options use the 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' buttons on the left side of the phone

To SELECT an Option in Clockwork Mod, press the 'Call' button which is the far left button at the bottom

To GO BACK in the Clockwork Mod Menu, press the 'Back' button which is next to the 'End' button at the bottom

*DISCLAIMER*
    I take no responsibility for any fault or damage caused by any procedures within this guide. No warranties of any kind are given.
    **Reserved**
    Thanks a lot. That's a superb user guide.

I have a question: I have a TMOUS HD2 so I have a 1024MB ROM. Assuming I'm not going to install far too many apps, is there any reason I should consider using a smaller CWM than the 400MB version? Is there any downside/compatibility issue? e.g. what would happen if I install a ROM where the cook says it has been made for a smaller CWM?
    Setting a 400MB partition for a Rom that only requires a 150MB partition would have no negative impact on your device or speed. The only negative is that if you flashed a Rom that only needs a smaller partition then you would waste around 250MB of ROM but since you have a 1024LEO and you said you arent going to install much then you would 400MB-500MB of internal space available to install apps so you dont have too much to worry about.

The only reason why you should never install a 400MB partition is if you never plan on trying a Sense Rom. They are the only Roms that require soo much space so it would be pointless to waste the space for no reason.

Hope that answers your question.

Mark.
    I have a TMOUS HD2, am currently on 150mb CWM on MIUI and CM7 alternately, if I change the CWM to 400mb version, is that mean that I can flash any ROM including the MIUI, CM7, Sense etc without having to change the CWM?
    many TIA
    Yes it does (in general) but you are always better off flashing the size recomended by the chef to get the best results.

Mark.
    Is there a way to use SD builds with CMW?
    What would be the right instructions?
    Thank you..
    No there isnt.

Mark.