[INFO] US Retail Availability (for Updates on Preorders and Purchasing)

OP tineras

24th April 2011, 12:25 AM   |  #341  
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Meter: 97

770 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger

Can't believe I fell for that .

sorry mate, had to do it. People are getting WAY to serious up in here.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcmtnbkr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2011, 12:34 AM   |  #342  
Thanks Meter: 624

3,557 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbokc

Faking a shortage is one thing. Everyone of those products you listed could be preordered or at least see a coming soon page on the retailers websites.

You are right if I walked up to anyone on the street and asked them about those products they would have no idea what I was talking about.... But that proves my point.

If I told somoene I wanted them to get me a Asus transformer as a gift... How does Asus come out a winner when you go to Amazon right now and search "asus Transformer" and the #2 result is the Xoom.

It is one thing to feign a shortage... or to be secvretive... It's another thing completley when the only place you can get any information about a product 50 hours before "launch" are hobbyist websites.

Sorry, but you're not going to convince me. I've seen far too many products use this exact strategy over the years and go on to sell well, to believe all the doom and gloom.
24th April 2011, 12:39 AM   |  #343  
Cincy
Thanks Meter: 7

126 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbokc

If I told somoene I wanted them to get me a Asus transformer as a gift... How does Asus come out a winner when you go to Amazon right now and search "asus Transformer" and the #2 result is the Xoom.

It is one thing to feign a shortage... or to be secvretive... It's another thing completley when the only place you can get any information about a product 50 hours before "launch" are hobbyist websites.

If you were asking for the Transformer, you'd know the release date. You wouldn't just say I want this tablet but I don't know if it's available, how much it is or where you can buy it.

As far as information goes Asus.com would be a great place to start. Google would be my second choice. Facebook is another. None are hobbyist websites in relation to the product. The lack of coming soon pages is strange yes, but it's not as bad as say a white iPhone 4 incident where they took pre-orders and never launched the thing. We are just one market, seems like it's gone smoothly everywhere.
24th April 2011, 12:50 AM   |  #344  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration

Sorry, but you're not going to convince me. I've seen far too many products use this exact strategy over the years and go on to sell well, to believe all the doom and gloom.

I never said anything was doom and gloom. I just don't think anyone ever expected this sort of reception. I am sure they looked at the sales of the xoom and other similar products and thought they had a sound plan. It wasn't about the time of the UK release did this thing start to pick up lots of steam.

A shortage isn't a bad thing. It tells me that demand is higher for this then any previous andropid tablet and that gives a hint that this one will have a great development following.

All I am saying is that what doesnt sit well is the lack of coming soon pages... How does a company that very few people in the US have had any experience with think that a good strategy to selling lots of units is to not let anyone know about their products.

It is one thing to say we don't know when it will be out... or we may be short on supply... It's another when the only place you can get any information at all... even the existance of this tablet is a facebook page.

Hell if Rockstar today said that GTA Cleavland (or whatever) would be released sometime in 2012... Gamestop would have a coming soon page up within hours...

How is not one online retailer not even having an info page about the product 50 hours before release a strategy..??? A company like Asus should see what a page like that on a retailers website is... It is FREE ADVERTISING! having no mention at all just tells me all is not well ... I may be wrong... there could be a glut of these things and everyone that wants one will be able to get one, but I think that come wednesday we will see scores of posts on here about how people are still looking and how everyone is sold out.
24th April 2011, 12:58 AM   |  #345  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurrsaix

If you were asking for the Transformer, you'd know the release date. You wouldn't just say I want this tablet but I don't know if it's available, how much it is or where you can buy it.

As far as information goes Asus.com would be a great place to start. Google would be my second choice. Facebook is another. None are hobbyist websites in relation to the product. The lack of coming soon pages is strange yes, but it's not as bad as say a white iPhone 4 incident where they took pre-orders and never launched the thing. We are just one market, seems like it's gone smoothly everywhere.

OK what if all I know is I wanted an Android tablet and I went to amazon and looked at my options. Or best buy or staples..

Would I then know to Google transformer or to go to asus.com or facebook to get more information?

If I were looking tonight at what was the best option for me Asus wouldnt even be in the picture. The Acer is launching the same say and they would stand a better shot at getting the business because they at least have a presence on some retailers websites.

Asus is not a household name like apple, nintendo, etc.. they can't afford to just assume that when this releases it will make the tv news and front page of the paper.

So for you to say that having no information at all is some sort of genius marketing plan is laughable.
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronbokc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2011, 12:59 AM   |  #346  
Thanks Meter: 95

656 posts
^ this

10char
24th April 2011, 01:07 AM   |  #347  
Thanks Meter: 43

347 posts
Whether or not I'm able to get one on Tuesday, shortly afterward, or a bit later, I'm grateful that ASUS had the vision to create the Transformer. I knew from the moment I saw the ASUS announcement at CES in January that this is the tablet I want, and my enthusiasm for it has only increased over these last few months. I'll leave it for those with actual marketing expertise to debate the management of the product release.

Our first one will be primarily for my wife. It will be perfect for her, and the small, light form factor of the tablet, and the combined laptop will be ideal. She has difficulty managing my HP fully-loaded laptop boat anchor, and she will be very comfortable with the Transformer.

I'll continue watching and waiting on this thread for some actual new information, like most of us, hoping that we will see availability of the product soon, but if it sells out fast, I can live with it - I'm pretty sure they will ne happy to make more for us. Selling out the initial batch quickly might be the best news of all for building consumer excitement about the product.
24th April 2011, 01:07 AM   |  #348  
Chevy Chase, MD
Thanks Meter: 175

2,039 posts
More
So this is very interesting....

I called around to a few stores in my area, mainly Best Buy stores. I called 2 regular Best Buy stores and each of them had no clue what I was talking about and said they weren't carrying them (the people working there are mostly idiots). But, then, I called a Best Buy Mobile store and the guy on the phone said he already had the Transformers in store. When asked when I could purchase one, he said they will be for sale on Monday 4/25. I re-asked the question and said, "Are you positive you're selling them on Monday," and he answered yes again. I'm going to go there on Monday and see what's up. Will report back then

To those of you wondering, you should definitely contact Best Buy Mobile stores if you have them in your area. They typically tend to have all the latest mobile products and I've found that the regular Best Buys don't do very well with that.
24th April 2011, 01:11 AM   |  #349  
Thanks Meter: 21

236 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbawalkee

So this is very interesting....

I called around to a few stores in my area, mainly Best Buy stores. I called 2 regular Best Buy stores and each of them had no clue what I was talking about and said they weren't carrying them (the people working there are mostly idiots). But, then, I called a Best Buy Mobile store and the guy on the phone said he already had the Transformers in store. When asked when I could purchase one, he said they will be for sale on Monday 4/25. I re-asked the question and said, "Are you positive you're selling them on Monday," and he answered yes again. I'm going to go there on Monday and see what's up. Will report back then

To those of you wondering, you should definitely contact Best Buy Mobile stores if you have them in your area. They typically tend to have all the latest mobile products and I've found that the regular Best Buys don't do very well with that.

Tried mine which is local but no dice . They hadn't heard of it.
24th April 2011, 01:16 AM   |  #350  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 3

57 posts
As far as information and updates go, ASUS needs to do a better job. They need to hire an official information officer to communicate with retailer's corporate to coordinate the launch. I went to Office Depot today and the rep is well aware of the product but said that he hasn't heard any news from corporate to when it will arrive.

This leads me to believe that despite the number of retailers listed, not all of them are going to have them for launch day.

Personally I'm counting on Amazon as they are a huge and reliable company and Best Buy for obvious reasons. I highly doubt even Target will have it for launch date let alone Office Depot, JR, or Tigerdirect.

I really hope I am wrong though. I would like to be able to walk down to any of the local retailers and know that one will be available.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
asus, eee pad, epicthread, fml, hoarding, omfgimgonnadiew/omyasus, purchasing, tf101, tf101-a1, tf101-b1, transformer, transformer/=life/death
Previous Thread Next Thread