Post Reply

Rooted (Locked Bootloader) Phone - App Removal (Safe List)

OP HeadShooter1979

23rd April 2011, 11:53 PM   |  #11  
svenk919's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Enschede
Thanks Meter: 61
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0

OK so by freezing it this actually creates more memory?

I think more ram but not more storage space, uninstalling should safe storage space.
24th April 2011, 11:41 AM   |  #12  
Senior Member
Flag essex lad
Thanks Meter: 76
 
1,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
ok froze a couple of apps, but no difference on ram, so do i actually have to unistall the app, after backup, ?so that i can restore it should i want to use it?
25th April 2011, 01:45 AM   |  #13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
102 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
if you un-installed any stock apps and you want them back, you propebly can get them here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036249
25th April 2011, 02:59 PM   |  #14  
svenk919's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Enschede
Thanks Meter: 61
 
391 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Donate to Me
More
My device survived around 60 hours, including 1.5 hours of gaming (super mario kart to be ecaxt), the occasional whatsapp/skype/texting, around 20MB of downloads and some surfing + playing music on my earplugs for a few hours. Still got 15% left (dimmed the screen brightnes when I was around 50%). Deleting bloatware really seems to help.
27th April 2011, 11:10 AM   |  #15  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
78 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Hey all,

I have also uninstalled a pile of bloatware, mostly covered by what has been mentioned already. Some of the names I don't remember but I will write what is on my list via Titanium:

iPlayer, magicsmoke, protips, stk, touchpal, thesims3, facebook, twitter, geniewidget, talk, music, timescape, support, digitalclock, owstore, retaildemo, setupwizard, touchnote, vodafoneshop, vodafoneupdates, whatsapp.

From the earlier list, I don't recommend anyone remove the Get Games unless they are sure they don't want any from the "more games" when you slide open your phone. I had thought I could still get the full list of games via market, but games like Backstab aren't. You can't get these games via emulators either.

My phone has went from booting in around 5 minutes to less than 1 minute & I had initially freed RAM up to the point where I was >200Mb.

The phone flies now, you can really see the difference. I'm also keeping widgets to a minimum & I highly recommend no-one puts on the useless task managers to kill processes (which themselves drain the battery). Simply use Running Services within settings. Oh, and I now only have 13 running services

My battery life I haven't noticed yet because the phone is stuck to my hand

Good luck all,

Rixter
Last edited by Rixter757; 27th April 2011 at 11:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rixter757 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2011, 12:05 PM   |  #16  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 13
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Battery life is much better! Charged my phone 5 days ago. Made some calls, played games and it is still 50% charged
27th April 2011, 01:29 PM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Flag essex lad
Thanks Meter: 76
 
1,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter757

Hey all,

I have also uninstalled a pile of bloatware, mostly covered by what has been mentioned already. Some of the names I don't remember but I will write what is on my list via Titanium:

iPlayer, magicsmoke, protips, stk, touchpal, thesims3, facebook, twitter, geniewidget, talk, music, timescape, support, digitalclock, owstore, retaildemo, setupwizard, touchnote, vodafoneshop, vodafoneupdates, whatsapp.

From the earlier list, I don't recommend anyone remove the Get Games unless they are sure they don't want any from the "more games" when you slide open your phone. I had thought I could still get the full list of games via market, but games like Backstab aren't. You can't get these games via emulators either.

My phone has went from booting in around 5 minutes to less than 1 minute & I had initially freed RAM up to the point where I was >200Mb.

The phone flies now, you can really see the difference. I'm also keeping widgets to a minimum & I highly recommend no-one puts on the useless task managers to kill processes (which themselves drain the battery). Simply use Running Services within settings. Oh, and I now only have 13 running services

My battery life I haven't noticed yet because the phone is stuck to my

Good luck all,

Rixter

Thanks for the safe removal list but oh boy their goes the whole "chicken and egg argument ", task killer or no task killer and to be honest will never know.!
27th April 2011, 02:29 PM   |  #18  
Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
78 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0

Thanks for the safe removal list but oh boy their goes the whole "chicken and egg argument ", task killer or no task killer and to be honest will never know.!

Lol, I hear ya. I'm only starting out with Android so the curve is still upward. From what I read from other sources, task killers are only useful if you have them set to automatically kill because the offending services continually restart. Then it's a looping killing field, as you say chicken & egg time. The way forward is to root & remove the apps

I'm trying to be good by using the inbuilt OS to find out status rather than add more hoggers such as battery widgets, task killers etc. Gotta stretch that battery to it's max.

I still haven't had time to play many games yet!!

Rixter
27th April 2011, 02:34 PM   |  #19  
Senior Member
Flag essex lad
Thanks Meter: 76
 
1,087 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter757

Lol, I hear ya. I'm only starting out with Android so the curve is still upward. From what I read from other sources, task killers are only useful if you have them set to automatically kill because the offending services continually restart. Then it's a looping killing field, as you say chicken & egg time. The way forward is to root & remove the apps

I'm trying to be good by using the inbuilt OS to find out status rather than add more hoggers such as battery widgets, task killers etc. Gotta stretch that battery to it's max.

I still haven't had time to play many games yet!!

Rixter

Ye the task killer no//yes issue has been argued over and over. I played modern combat and was stuck on it at my son's football practice i was so engrossed its out of this world lol. Gone give backstab a short today.
29th April 2011, 07:30 AM   |  #20  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
32 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShooter1979

UPD: Noticed differences:
- Boot time now is less than a minute (it took 3+ minutes before)
- Battery life is much better!
- ~250Mb of free memory
- Phone works faster (At least feels like. Didn't test)

boot time is faster & phone overall is smoother.
but battery is the same.

4.5 hrs of usage (push mail, whatsapp, sms, a few phone calls) with only 55%.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes