Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,848 Members 36,742 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted (Locked Bootloader) Phone - App Removal (Safe List)

Tip us?
 
svenk919
Old
#11  
svenk919's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 391
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Enschede

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0 View Post
OK so by freezing it this actually creates more memory?
I think more ram but not more storage space, uninstalling should safe storage space.
SE Xperia play on stock rom with doomkernel.
 
marvi0
Old
#12  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 1,035
Join Date: May 2008
Location: essex lad
ok froze a couple of apps, but no difference on ram, so do i actually have to unistall the app, after backup, ?so that i can restore it should i want to use it?
 
m3dteam
Old
#13  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 102
Join Date: Apr 2011
if you un-installed any stock apps and you want them back, you propebly can get them here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1036249
 
svenk919
Old
#14  
svenk919's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 61
Posts: 391
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Enschede

 
DONATE TO ME
My device survived around 60 hours, including 1.5 hours of gaming (super mario kart to be ecaxt), the occasional whatsapp/skype/texting, around 20MB of downloads and some surfing + playing music on my earplugs for a few hours. Still got 15% left (dimmed the screen brightnes when I was around 50%). Deleting bloatware really seems to help.
SE Xperia play on stock rom with doomkernel.
 
Rixter757
Old
(Last edited by Rixter757; 27th April 2011 at 11:17 AM.)
#15  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 78
Join Date: Apr 2011
Hey all,

I have also uninstalled a pile of bloatware, mostly covered by what has been mentioned already. Some of the names I don't remember but I will write what is on my list via Titanium:

iPlayer, magicsmoke, protips, stk, touchpal, thesims3, facebook, twitter, geniewidget, talk, music, timescape, support, digitalclock, owstore, retaildemo, setupwizard, touchnote, vodafoneshop, vodafoneupdates, whatsapp.

From the earlier list, I don't recommend anyone remove the Get Games unless they are sure they don't want any from the "more games" when you slide open your phone. I had thought I could still get the full list of games via market, but games like Backstab aren't. You can't get these games via emulators either.

My phone has went from booting in around 5 minutes to less than 1 minute & I had initially freed RAM up to the point where I was >200Mb.

The phone flies now, you can really see the difference. I'm also keeping widgets to a minimum & I highly recommend no-one puts on the useless task managers to kill processes (which themselves drain the battery). Simply use Running Services within settings. Oh, and I now only have 13 running services

My battery life I haven't noticed yet because the phone is stuck to my hand

Good luck all,

Rixter
The Following User Says Thank You to Rixter757 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
HeadShooter1979
Old
#16  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Battery life is much better! Charged my phone 5 days ago. Made some calls, played games and it is still 50% charged
 
marvi0
Old
#17  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 1,035
Join Date: May 2008
Location: essex lad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter757 View Post
Hey all,

I have also uninstalled a pile of bloatware, mostly covered by what has been mentioned already. Some of the names I don't remember but I will write what is on my list via Titanium:

iPlayer, magicsmoke, protips, stk, touchpal, thesims3, facebook, twitter, geniewidget, talk, music, timescape, support, digitalclock, owstore, retaildemo, setupwizard, touchnote, vodafoneshop, vodafoneupdates, whatsapp.

From the earlier list, I don't recommend anyone remove the Get Games unless they are sure they don't want any from the "more games" when you slide open your phone. I had thought I could still get the full list of games via market, but games like Backstab aren't. You can't get these games via emulators either.

My phone has went from booting in around 5 minutes to less than 1 minute & I had initially freed RAM up to the point where I was >200Mb.

The phone flies now, you can really see the difference. I'm also keeping widgets to a minimum & I highly recommend no-one puts on the useless task managers to kill processes (which themselves drain the battery). Simply use Running Services within settings. Oh, and I now only have 13 running services

My battery life I haven't noticed yet because the phone is stuck to my

Good luck all,

Rixter
Thanks for the safe removal list but oh boy their goes the whole "chicken and egg argument ", task killer or no task killer and to be honest will never know.!
 
Rixter757
Old
#18  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 78
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvi0 View Post
Thanks for the safe removal list but oh boy their goes the whole "chicken and egg argument ", task killer or no task killer and to be honest will never know.!
Lol, I hear ya. I'm only starting out with Android so the curve is still upward. From what I read from other sources, task killers are only useful if you have them set to automatically kill because the offending services continually restart. Then it's a looping killing field, as you say chicken & egg time. The way forward is to root & remove the apps

I'm trying to be good by using the inbuilt OS to find out status rather than add more hoggers such as battery widgets, task killers etc. Gotta stretch that battery to it's max.

I still haven't had time to play many games yet!!

Rixter
 
marvi0
Old
#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 1,035
Join Date: May 2008
Location: essex lad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter757 View Post
Lol, I hear ya. I'm only starting out with Android so the curve is still upward. From what I read from other sources, task killers are only useful if you have them set to automatically kill because the offending services continually restart. Then it's a looping killing field, as you say chicken & egg time. The way forward is to root & remove the apps

I'm trying to be good by using the inbuilt OS to find out status rather than add more hoggers such as battery widgets, task killers etc. Gotta stretch that battery to it's max.

I still haven't had time to play many games yet!!

Rixter
Ye the task killer no//yes issue has been argued over and over. I played modern combat and was stuck on it at my son's football practice i was so engrossed its out of this world lol. Gone give backstab a short today.
 
scottiepp
Old
#20  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 28
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShooter1979 View Post
UPD: Noticed differences:
- Boot time now is less than a minute (it took 3+ minutes before)
- Battery life is much better!
- ~250Mb of free memory
- Phone works faster (At least feels like. Didn't test)
boot time is faster & phone overall is smoother.
but battery is the same.

4.5 hrs of usage (push mail, whatsapp, sms, a few phone calls) with only 55%.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes