2011 08 11 EDIT: I've published a new General Release to the Android Market that includes all of the changes in the recent betas. Thanks to everyone who helped in testing.
2011 08 05 EDIT: The latest beta includes bits for battery temperature (F & C) and battery voltage (mV). It also includes a dedicated bit for shortcuts.
2011 07 06 EDIT: The latest beta can turn on or off any widget size from 1x1 to 4x4.
2011 07 01 EDIT: The latest beta can use any graphic from the sd card as a bit.
2011 06 26 EDIT: The latest beta version includes the ability to launch any shortcut from any bit. We need help testing this new feature.
2011 06 15 EDIT: The latest beta version includes integration with Tasker. We sure could use some help testing this new feature.
EDIT: BITS Widget is now version 1.0 and is available in the Android Market.
I've been working on a widget for several months and I'm just about ready to show it to the world, but I want to make sure it's ready.
I've been running the widget on four different phones. The widget runs perfectly on all but one. On that one, it crashes (force close) about once a day at random times and I've been unable to track down the problem. I'm hoping to get the widget running on some different hardware and software combinations to see if a pattern emerges.
If you're interested in giving a hand, I would appreciate some help.
The name of the widget is BITS, which stands for Bits Is The Stuff.
BITS is a home screen widget with a WYSIWYG editor that allows the user to add, remove and arrange bits of information on the widget face.
Each bit can be configured to launch a shortcut when it is touched on the widget face.
Currently the widget can show the following bits of information:
- Location (from GPS or locked to specific one)
- Moon Phase (graphic)
- Sun or Moon Phase (graphic, sun during daylight, moon phase at night)
- Sun or Moon Phase with Weather (same as above with weather conditions superimposed)
- Temperature (in C° or F°)
- Cloud cover (text description)
- Weather conditions (text description)
- Air Pressure
- Wind Speed (kt)
- Wind Speed (mph)
- Wind Direction (deg)
- Wind Direction (cardinal)
- Weather Station
- Sunrise (time at location)
- Sunset (time at location)
- Next Alarm
- Battery Level (percentage)
- Battery Charging (“charging” or “”)
- Battery Temperature (in C° or F°)
- Battery Voltage (mV)
- Available RAM
- Available file space
- Available SD Card space
- Rounded Rectangle
- Last Weather Download (time and date)
- Last Weather Observation(at the weather station, time and date)
- Tasker Variable
- Any graphic from SD Card
Mobile Link: market://details?id=com.bitswidget.BITS
Web Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitswidget.BITS"
Ideas List: http://www.bitswidget.com/blog/forum/ideas/