Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] how to stop "ongoing" marketplace download??

OP hpl912

23rd April 2011, 01:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

110 posts
More
Today when i was trying to update skype and download some other applications in the market, this below thing happened to me.
On my drag down task bar there are 17 "ongoing" downloads from android market. even though i cancelled everything, tried also to stop/remove market from app manager, stop google talk (i don't have this installed but i see it in running services?!), rebooting the phone, software repair (failed),... that thing is still there and never goes away.
i'm running out of ideas. anyone can help?

sony ericsson x10i 2.1 update-1
23rd April 2011, 07:44 AM   |  #2  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 462

1,674 posts
More
Try deleting the market cache/data. Go to settings > applications > manage applications, then the "all" tab. Find the market & force stop it. Then clear the data & the cache. If the notification is still there, reboot & it should go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to plainjane For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2011, 08:44 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

19 posts
if in MIUI rom there is a Downloads application to manage download.
duno where to get the apps
24th April 2011, 12:31 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

110 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainjane

Try deleting the market cache/data. Go to settings > applications > manage applications, then the "all" tab. Find the market & force stop it. Then clear the data & the cache. If the notification is still there, reboot & it should go away.

i already tried deleting android market and re-installing and force stop/ clear cache. the prob still there
24th April 2011, 07:24 AM   |  #5  
Flag Charlotte, NC

1,674 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpl912

i already tried deleting android market and re-installing and force stop/ clear cache. the prob still there

So the problem is that your status bar is stuck showing downloads, not necessarily the app itself.

Since you said you uninstalled & reinstalled the market, I'm assuming you're rooted. If this is the case, there's an app on the forums that kills your status bar then restarts it, but I'm not sure if it would work in your situation. It was made with the CM7 theme chooser in mind, so it may only work on 2.3. I'm not sure though, as I've never used it. You could also try booting into recovery & wiping your cache & dalvik cache. If you have a root level file explorer, try going to /cache and deleting any downloadfile.apk files you may see. They may be in /cache/download if that path exists.

If none of that works, you could try reflashing your rom over itself. Just wipe cache/dalvik, not data, and everything should remain as it was unless you've made changes to any system files. And if that doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

I am assuming that you've rebooted, but if for some reason you haven't, try that first.
25th April 2011, 03:02 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

110 posts
More
em... now i can't download anything from the market anymore. everytime i choose to download something, it just adds up in the task bar and the downloading never ends. now i have accumulated 18 ongoing downloads even though they are not really downloading anything.
i have a rooted x10 but i cannot find any folder named /cache when browsing using astro file manager.
i don't know how to get into recovery mode to wipe off the cache as you said.
and yes, rebooting was the very first thing i did but it doesn't work...
25th April 2011, 05:35 AM   |  #7  
Flag Charlotte, NC

1,674 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpl912

em... now i can't download anything from the market anymore. everytime i choose to download something, it just adds up in the task bar and the downloading never ends. now i have accumulated 18 ongoing downloads even though they are not really downloading anything.
i have a rooted x10 but i cannot find any folder named /cache when browsing using astro file manager.
i don't know how to get into recovery mode to wipe off the cache as you said.
and yes, rebooting was the very first thing i did but it doesn't work...

I'm not sure how to get into recovery on your phone, but I'm sure a quick Google search would yield the answer. You can also try using a cache cleaner app, but it may not solve the problem. If you can get into recovery (again, I'm assuming you're rooted) then go to the "wipe" menu... it may say something else but the word wipe should be there. From there choose to wipe cache & dalvik cache. I think in ClockworkMod that wiping dalvik cache is under "advanced", but I'm not sure if that's your recovery version or if it's even available for your phone.

The only other option would be a factory reset.

Oh, and the /cache directory is on internal memory, not the SD card. Astro is not a root level explorer, so you would need Root Explorer or ES File Explorer.
25th April 2011, 05:56 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
hi,

i am experiencing the same issues and my phone is not rooted.

i've done the clear cache thing and still the issue persists. the phone also freezes up whereby it does not even register my touch and the screen just blanks out.

any other advice on this please for non-rooted phones??
27th April 2011, 10:45 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
Hi,

I've just seen this problem on a X10 mini upgraded to android 2.1 update 1.

The solution was to "clear data" and "force stop" for "Download Manager".

IE: go to settings/applications/manage applications, press menu key, select filter and set All, scroll until you find the "Download Manager" entry, select it and then click "clear data" and "force stop"

You can now go to the market and start again any install/upgrade that might have been stuck in the queue before.

Hope it works for you too!
The Following User Says Thank You to coyj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th June 2011, 01:26 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Thumbs down Stupid xperia 10
Okay WTF!, this is the only thread online I found that deals with this problem. Is Sony really that incompetent?.

I've had this problem for a week, I am now upto 35 ongoing downloads. I only had 8 ongoing 3 days ago. I cannot download or install or download and install anything!. This is complete B.S.

I have done everything in this thread and nothing works. Sony still has not e-mailed me back. I am FURIOUS!, WTF is happening!. Why can't I remove these ongoing downloads/updates.

I've done the whole "application manager" B.S. but it won't let me force close my market. I've disabled wi-fi. I am losing my effing mind!.

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY DEALT WITH AND CORRECTED THIS PROBLEM?. I will give you $5. This is getting retarded.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread