Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,022 Members 53,604 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

what's the data speed you can get with t-zone?

Tip us?

tangyoulei
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question what's the data speed you can get with t-zone?

As some guys pointed out that web2go and t-zone are still working on G2x. I am having a 5.99 t-zone data plan as well and I am out of contract already.

I am hesitating if I should
1) buy a G2x from costco with full price and keep my t-zone;
or
2) sign a new contract to take advantage of the discounted unit price.

If I go with option #1, I will probably end up paying $500+ at front. But the benefit is I gotta keep my lower rate data plan (although I understand T-mobile may or may not force upgrading the data plan to $30/mo)

If I opt for option #2, the until will only costs about $180 after tax. But the lowest 4g unlimited data plan will cost about $20 each month.

I highly doubt if I could keep the t-zone plan and buy a G2x from costco store with contract price...

A simple math may suggest option #2 money wise ( (530-180)/(20-6)=25mon > 2yrs). But I would like to hear others' opinion.

some considerations:
1) If the t-zone can only give a 2.5g internet and performs much slower than the current HSPA+ you can get from the 4g data plan, that could be a deal breaker.
2) Once t-zone is cancelled, probably we will never get it back (well, who know how long t-mobile will stand before merged by ATT?)
3) anything else worth to think about??

JHaste
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I was in your shoes as well... I needed a new sim card when I got my phone to be compatible with the 4G network...

I opted to get the cheaper phone price because there is no way that ATT will let us keep our tzones... if and when the merger happens, ATT will honor CONTRACTS that are currently in place and they will not accommodate our old grandfathered plans... remember how ATT phased out their unlimited data plans?

That's just me putting two and two together...

tangyoulei
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I am mainly curious what's the speed you can get from t-zone on your G2x. Could it be 3g?

coldest~~~
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangyoulei View Post
I am mainly curious what's the speed you can get from t-zone on your G2x. Could it be 3g?
speed wise, there is no difference from the $30 data plan

MattZTexasu
Old
Thanks Meter 29
You won't get to keep the T-Zones plan. You'll soon start getting the "upgrade" message when connecting to the web.

However, if you buy the phone outright, the data plan is $25/month and not $30.

I bought the G2X on Tuesday, and starting getting the upgrade message today. So, I went to the tmo store and got my wife a G2X. And I upgraded us to the family 750/unlimited text&web for $110/month. Not a bad deal.

mingkee
Old
Thanks Meter 254
The speed was about the same as 4G web on the main line but the latency was horrible.
Now you can forget it because the phone is flagged.
Tags
costco, data plan, g2x, t-zone, web2go